Flavoring

Beer brewing, wine aging, whiskey fermenting, soda pop carbonating.  Talk about it here.
Paul

Post by Paul »

These are good for non-traditional flavorings for beer.

I've used the chocolate in a cream stout before. It was pretty good.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

At what point of the process do you put them in the beer?
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Paul

Post by Paul »

It's non-fermentable, so it doesn't really matter as long as it's mixed in evenly.
I assume I put it into the primary fermentor, because you can really mix it up then (to get air in).
You do not want to tinker with it too much after you move it from the primary, because after that you don't want to introduce new oxygen into the beer.

I don't remember how much I put in. I did it years ago, and was following directions from someone who added it to their own recipe. I'm thinking it was 3oz, but I don't remember. I had the link saved in a "homebrew" folder in case I wanted to get more.

The stuff was delicious though. I mean, it's candy-beer, but chicks dug it. I made it for Christmastime and gave my friend a two-liter plastic soda bottle of it, and they loved it at the Christmas party he took it to.

Now that I think about it, maybe it wasn't exactly a milk stout. It was my own concoction. I bought everything individually.

It had the chocolate flavoring.
It had dark malt.
It had lactose (a non-fermentable sugar, so it makes the beer sweet).
It had a bottle of sinamar (food coloring for beer, that makes it really dark).

The sinamar made the beer black (purely aesthetic), which complimented the chocolate smell & flavor.
The hops and dark malt balanced the sweetness some, but the point of the beer was to impress people who don't usually like beer, so it was still probably too sweet for beer snobs.

There are a lot of beer snobs in home brewing, but make what makes you and your friends/family happy.

If everyone followed the advice of beer snobs we'd all be drinking double (or triple) IPA's.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Paul wrote:It had the chocolate flavoring.
It had dark malt.
It had lactose (a non-fermentable sugar, so it makes the beer sweet).
It had a bottle of sinamar (food coloring for beer, that makes it really dark).

the point of the beer was to impress people who don't usually like beer, so it was still probably too sweet for beer snobs.
Or to play an elaborate joke on your lactose intolerant friends.
It's not me, it's someone else.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Paul wrote:I made it for Christmastime and gave my friend a two-liter plastic soda bottle of it, and they loved it at the Christmas party he took it to.
Explain to me this 2-liter plastic bottle thing. Did you bottle it in that for carbonation?
Paul

Post by Paul »

Ain't no thang.

I cleaned a 2 liter soda bottle and poured it in there.

Once I put it in the two liter I added some more C02 and then gave it to my friend, so he could dispense from the 2 liter bottle.

I have a carbonator cap that I can hook my C02 hose to (I think I got mine for $20, which seems pricey, but only one company makes them I think)
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

So, you didn't carbonate in a bottle, you poured it from the secondary then just squirted in some CO2?
Paul

Post by Paul »

It was already carbonated. I think I poured it from the tap into the two liter, then just topped it off with a little extra C02.

Nothing exciting.

I have heard of people brewing inside of 2 liter bottles before. Heck, I fermented apple juice in a plastic bottle.

If you sterilize a two liter and the cap I see no reason why you couldn't use a two liter bottle to do your bottling.

That reminds me. I brewed at my friends house a few times before I got my own kit. He kept insisting that you couldn't use twist-off beer bottles, so I used the same twist-off bottle & cap in each of my first 3 or 4 batches to see if it would work.
It always worked fine. So in a pinch you can use a twist-off, just make sure it's clean and you can screw the cap on tight.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

So which Brewer's Best kit is a good base with which to make some apple/cinnamon beer for Christmas?
Paul

Post by Paul »

I'd probably go with a lighter beer. With apple flavoring you want sort the color of of an apple pie filling.
I'd say get the American Light.
Drinking something heavy and/or dark that has an apple flavor could be weird.

Plus, I dislike fruity beers, so you might as well ruin the light beer instead of a good one. ;)

I looked up Midwest's Apple Ale and they use lighter stuff as well, so I guess they concur. Or I concur with them. Or whatever.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

I had a feeling it would be something without a strong character.
Paul

Post by Paul »

Just imagine the beer.
Now imagine it after putting some apple juice in it.

It doesn't seem right in anything dark or bitter, but seems okay with the light stuff.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Paul wrote:These are good for non-traditional flavorings for beer.

I want to make some apple cinnamon beer for xmas, but this link wants to charge me more to ship it than what the flavoring costs.

Is just getting this from amazon, and a few cinnamon sticks, a good substitute?

http://www.amazon.com/faeries....sr=1-59

edit - eh, never mind, I just noticed it doesn't ship from amazon so it isn't free.

Edited By GORDON on 1318359428
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Paul wrote:These are good for non-traditional flavorings for beer.

The Apple Cinnamon flavoring I ordered from here arrived today.

I hope to brew this batch in about 2 weeks.