True Brew

Beer brewing, wine aging, whiskey fermenting, soda pop carbonating.  Talk about it here.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

I've used Brewer's Best, and no problems so far.

Amazon, however, doesn't seem to sell their ingredient kits...

Anything wrong with "True Brew" brand?

http://www.amazon.com/True-Br....&sr=8-5

Thinking about making my first IPA to see what all the fuss is about....
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Paul

Post by Paul »

I wouldn't do it.

I'm a big Midwest Supplies fan. When comparing apples to apples, they usually have the best prices.

Freshness of the grains is a big issue, and I'd assume that those have been sitting in the box awhile.

Midwest Supplies will crush the grain just before shipping (they ask you if you want it crushed when you order online).
They assemble the kits themselves from fresh ingredients. My last box had a check-off list when they assembled it for my order. It's also common for extra items you order to be inside the sealed kit so they can save space for shipping.

Also, the description of the True Brew kit sucks on Amazon.
Midwest sells this cheapo IPA kit and this better IPA kit. I can clearly see that the first kit has 5lbs of fermentables, while the latter has 9lbs of fermentables.
I have no idea how much a can of extract contains. I'd guess 3 lbs?

I know when I ordered two kits from Midwest Supplies, shipping was $15.05. I don't know what one ships for.

If you order from Midwest, get their free home brewing DVD. It's an option at checkout.

The True Brew kit comes with caps. Midwest sells caps here.
If you're going to have multiple bottles of home brew laying around, having different colored caps can help identify them. (Of course, I just mark the top with a Sharpie)
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Word.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."