Kegging

Beer brewing, wine aging, whiskey fermenting, soda pop carbonating.  Talk about it here.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Ok, tell me what method you use. I know there are multiple.

I plan on kegging by next summer, I think.

I would like to try a combination of the best, easiest method. Kegs in bars all use attached CO2 systems, right?
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Paul

Post by Paul »

I have two Cornelius kegs. They are the 5 gallon cylinders that you see people dispense soda out of at festivals and such. I bought them on sale, then bought a single regulator kit to go with them.

Both kegs fit in the kegerator, but I only have one tap on the kegerator.

I only have one gauge on my regulator, so I can see what pressure is coming out of it, but I can't tell how much C02 is left. That is a hassle, but not worth the expense of buying another.

Another bummer was buying a new aluminum C02 tank and the place I go to doesn't do refills, only exchanges. So it was quickly swapped for a banged up steel monstrosity.

One C02 tank costs about $13 to exchange, and lasts about 3 kegs depending on how much C02 you waste.

I spliced a Y and a new end on the C02 tube so it can keep both kegs pressurized if I have two batches at the same time. Then I have one keg hooked to the tap, and one keg with a picnic tap (hand held tap), but I have to open the kegerator door to pour from that one.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

That sounds like a big pain in the ass. I think I'll just buy a bar.
Paul

Post by Paul »

Cleaning one keg is easier than cleaning/sterilizing/capping 40+ bottles.
You get cleaner beer too (no yeasty sludge from fermentation).

I like beer on tap better than bottles. I like getting a mug from the freezer and pouring it from the tap.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Paul wrote:I like beer on tap better than bottles. I like getting a mug from the freezer and pouring it from the tap.
I was thinking it would be funny to run a line from the keg to the refrigerator's water dispenser, which we never use for water, anyway.

Too bad I DO use the ice maker, though.

Mmmmm... beer ice cubes.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

I need pics of your setup.