Hard Apple Juice

Beer brewing, wine aging, whiskey fermenting, soda pop carbonating.  Talk about it here.
Paul

Post by Paul »

Years ago I sterilized a 2 liter soda bottle.
I filled it with apple juice (just regular juice from the store) and dumped in.
I capped it and left it in my closet.

The bottle swelled and every once in awhile I'd open the cap to let out the pressure. Then I got the bright idea to soak a balloon in sanitizer (I buy the large bags of that sanitizer powder) and use that as a cap.

The balloon swelled but not enough to burst.

Maybe a two or three weeks later I had friend over playing poker, so I broke out the bottle. The apple juice had fermented and the balloon left enough pressure to carbonate it nicely.

It tasted great! It was like a sweet wine cooler or something.

I tried a couple times to repeat that, but it never turned out as well.

------------------

Theoretically, once you have fermented apple juice you can make apple jack.

To do this, freeze the fermented apple juice and remove the ice (which is frozen water, as alcohol does not freeze).
Then freeze it again and remove the ice yet again.

This is technically distilling so it is illegal, but I'm sure it's easy to do and works great, and I'd be really impressed with those results.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

I have a big-ass apple tree in my back yard. Besides baking a couple pies each fall, all the rest of the apples just fall to the ground....
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Paul

Post by Paul »

In the old days they'd make a barrel of apple juice, leave it outside to freeze, and just keep removing the ice.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

I am finally gaining a skill that will make me useful after the zombie apocalypse, besides knowing how to put a round down range.

Get people drunk.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."