home distilling/moonshining resources

Beer brewing, wine aging, whiskey fermenting, soda pop carbonating.  Talk about it here.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Any one got any blogs/groups/forums/whatever they frequent on the subject? Paul, I'm looking at you as the likeliest candidate.
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
Arnold Judas Rimmer, BSC, SSC: "Better dead than smeg."
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

I believe my ancestors were kicked out of Alabama for bootlegging, but that probably doesn't help.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

This is more interesting to me than beer making. But I have no ideas on it whatsoever.
It's not me, it's someone else.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

It's not me, it's someone else.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Buddy of mine who's damn near internet impaired has a small still that makes half-litres at a time. I get the feeling he wants to broaden his whiskey tastes.

Edited By Malcolm on 1306807982
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
Arnold Judas Rimmer, BSC, SSC: "Better dead than smeg."
Paul

Post by Paul »

I have a bag of moonshine making yeast.
I bought it years ago, so it may not be any good anymore.

It's illegal to sell moonshining equipment, but you can buy distillers to pull the essence from things. They tend to be smaller, but they *do* work for alcohol. They just give disclaimers that they are only supposed to be used for their designated purpose.

I probably saw all that stuff on Midwest Supplies.

I *might* have made applejack once.
Ferment apple juice, then freeze it.
Pull out the frozen water, then freeze it again.
Pull out the frozen water, and what's left isn't freezable anymore because of the high alcohol content. :)
This is a form of distilling, so it's not legal, not that it's worth anybody's time for prosecuting someone for doing this for personal use.