Python

Troy

Re: Python

Post by Troy »

With fractional you can just choose based on ratio, yeah?
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Troy wrote:With fractional you can just choose based on ratio, yeah?
Fractional is 100% solvable with a simple greedy algorithm, so yes, you'd just take the largest quantity of the most valuable dust/sand/whatever you can find. The discrete problem is generally the second large mental hurdle potential coders have to overcome, usually right after recursion, and it requires being clever.
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
Arnold Judas Rimmer, BSC, SSC: "Better dead than smeg."
Troy

Post by Troy »

Went to a Python regional conference last weekend called PyBay. It was frustrating. I'm past the phase of not understanding most of a technical presentation, and into the part where I'll get 3-4 slides in a row, about reducing function calls to improve memory performance, for example. But then the presenter will throw out an acronym or library/module that I've never heard of and it'll throw me off(as more experienced guys just nod knowingly).

I have about 12 libraries and a bunch of notes to play with and some interesting programs to try to write, but no time to do it because of my regular job is heating up.

Did get to meet a bunch of Python Celebs tho, including the creators of Flask, Django and some of my work books.
Last edited by Troy on Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Went to a Python regional conference last weekend called PyBay. It was frustrating. I'm past the phase of not understanding most of a technical presentation
99% useless jargon and acronyms made up so motherfuckers can submit another white paper to another conference full of brain-dead sycophants.
...about reducing functional calls to improve memory performance, for example.
Case in point, you can usually explain things like this on a high or medium level without too much impenetrable bullshit.
creators of ... Django
Sergio Corbucci was there? I thought he died in 1990.
as more experienced guys just nod knowingly
When there's not much in one's head, it only takes a slight breeze to get it bobbing back and forth.
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
Troy

Post by Troy »

* Core Django devs
Armin of Flask fame was there though, and so was Al Sweigart

The funniest talk I saw wasn't on purpose. It was this kinda older semi well known core Python Developer. Responsible for itertools, etc. His (somewhat angry) Keynote message was: "Hey Young Devs, stop fucking up my modules with your bullshit ideas." He had a bunch of analogies of stepping on flowers and picture straightening. He was how I imagine Malcom will be in 20 years.

Coolest module I learned/played with was Al's PyAutoGui. Which basically let's you control the computer mouse/keyboard within Python. There were some fun, and nefarious uses discussed.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Funny. I think Python module devs need to stop fucking up Guido van rossum's elegant language with their horseshit logic and code.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

You still doing this shit, Troy? Think I found a site you might like.
Troy

Post by Troy »

Slowed down to learn video editing, but I'm still actively learning. Whats the site?
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Troy wrote:Slowed down to learn video editing, but I'm still actively learning. Whats the site?
Hackerrank.com. Amazon is forcing me to solve a problem on there for an interview. I got 7 days to do it, so I'm abusing some of their examples, tests, and tutorials to knock of the rust. If you're in a learning frame of mind, it's not bad.
Troy

Post by Troy »

Cool - I'd dabbled in a website called "Codefights." This sounds kind of similar.

It was fun, cool way to tackle some real world problems. Most of them were made by Uber, AirBandB, etc.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

I'd say this website has more theoretical, less practically applicable problems. However, the (i) Math, (ii) Algorithms, and (iii) Data Structures sections represent problems that I doubt most "professional" code monkeys would handle well. If you can hack those, 95-99% of real world problems seem tame by comparison.
Cool - I'd dabbled in a website called "Codefights." This sounds kind of similar.
I remember back in my undergrad days, there was a website called topcoders.com. Competitive programming, real-time. Big drawback was they only let you submit in 3 languages: C++, Java, or Pascal ... which really means there was only one language (C++) fast enough if you had to brute force your way through a nasty optimization or counting problem.
Troy

Post by Troy »

Amazon huh?? Would they move you to Seattle?

I had a friend who interviewed with them from ATL. He was a warehouse manager type guy, seemed like an interesting process. They flew and the fam out. Didn't get it.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

I'm rather firm on my "no relocation, no travel" rules for hire. Amazon has local branches dotted about in various cities across the US. One's in downtown Minneapolis. I'm planning on taking the actual Amazon test this weekend. Using the time up until then to familiarize myself with the testing site and write some generic I/O code for interface purposes.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Malcolm wrote:I'm rather firm on my "no relocation, no travel" rules for hire.
What in the ever loving FUCK could have you tied down in Minnesota?
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Troy

Post by Troy »

That threat of frostbite really gets him going?
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote:
Imagine how much more he'd complain about living in other places?
It's not me, it's someone else.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

GORDON wrote:
Relocation is not something I do off the bat for any corp. I'd tolerate maybe 25% travel but I'd up my price.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

I couldn't wait to relocate out of Ohio when the job opportunities presented themselves. CHrist, experience more of the country.

SD was my fave state, followed by NC, followed by TN. NC only comes in second because shit started getting better for me there, after a long shitty spell. TN was actually more fun.

Take a relo, let them pay to move you and gross it up for taxes, and shake up your life.

Also if I had to choose to nuke any state, it would be NE. Nothing but shit people live in NE.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

CHrist, experience more of the country.
I've experienced more than a bit of the country. I stand by my "no relocation" policy.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Been hitting the hackerrank.com practice problems. Got bored and dialed up the difficulty to what passes for 11 on the site. Too easy. Think I need some ready-made code with standard algos and d-structs sitting in a notepad++ window for this one. One more category of practice before the code library build up, then I'll take the real thing.