thibodeaux

Python

Post by thibodeaux »

TLDR: sagemaker is about automating some of the plumbing, not automating the ML
TheCatt
Site Admin

Python

Post by TheCatt »

thibodeaux wrote: I don’t think it’s gonna do that. I’ve done some tutorials and read some docs. It’s basically a docker container that will run a Jupiter notebook and also launch training jobs and host a web server.

It might be more accurate to say it manages some of the plumbing of ML, so that if you do understand ML you can actually do ML instead of the plumbing which is normally about 90% of what you have to do to get ML in production. And not even sure how good a job it does of that.
Gotcha. Still helpful.
It's not me, it's someone else.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Python

Post by TheCatt »

All day interview(s) from 8:45 to 4:30pm. I gave a 1 hour presentation on AWS from prior things I knew about the company, as well as things I picked up during the the 1 on 1 interviews (the prezzy was at 11:30).

Man, talking so much was tiring. Offer will be coming tomorrow.
Troy

Python

Post by Troy »

TheCatt wrote:
Nice dude!
TheCatt
Site Admin

Python

Post by TheCatt »

Troy wrote:
TheCatt wrote:
Nice dude!
Thanks! This is the most nervous about something I’ve been in a long time. Would be a big life/career change
Troy

Python

Post by Troy »

TheCatt wrote:
Troy wrote:
TheCatt wrote:
Nice dude!
Thanks! This is the most nervous about something I’ve been in a long time. Would be a big life/career change
Sounds like if you know the offer is coming you shouldn't be too worried. Though I'm sure the life/career change part is a big factor.

Would you have to move up there?
TheCatt
Site Admin

Python

Post by TheCatt »

No. I would come up once per month and otherwise work remotely.

Really, I could live anywhere. But realistically, we like Cary.

Some of the people interviewing me asked why I didn’t join up 3years ago when they first talked to me.

Me: the managing partner said I would have to move to Boston.

It’s weird though. My salary might not change, or might even go down a little. But the marginal comp would be dramatically better if things go well at the new firm. The part I’m struggling with is that my current job is actually pretty easy, and I really like my team. But we got acquired by a large public company last year, so the benefits are worse, and the it policies are worse, etc, etc
TheCatt
Site Admin

Python

Post by TheCatt »

Offer received:

It's a fund in Boston, I would work remote, traveling ~3 days per month to Boston. (direct flight from RDU)

Title: Whatever I want. I asked for Director, they said yes.
Salary: Same as what I make now, which I think is pretty solid, but it's hard to tell in this techmarket.
Bonus: 25% target (versus 15%) - This is 'operational' bonus, which means tied to my performance, not that of the fund.
Fund bonus - Up to 1x my salary, depends on fund performance. The past 2 years, this has paid out at 50% of salary.
Profit sharing: They've maxxed out everyone's 401ks with profit sharing the past two years.

Additionally, after 6 months, I _might_ be able to invest in the fund itself. Not guaranteed. Might also be too many eggs in one basket.
Troy

Python

Post by Troy »

That's sick. Congratulations!

Not much to stress about based on that offer. It's not like your skills are going out of favor anytime soon, even if things go tits up there. It's hard to turn that down, based on the upside?

Definitely agree about avoiding too many eggs. There's a good quote from the Wu-Tang clan, but I'm gonna go with this one:

TheCatt
Site Admin

Python

Post by TheCatt »

Thanks! Yeah, I was a little surprised, figured it'd be around 50% total, best case.
Troy wrote: It's not like your skills are going out of favor anytime soon, even if things go tits up there. It's hard to turn that down, based on the upside?
Yes, and I'll learn python along the way... but my core will still be data organization, and they are very open to change. Right now they load everything into a sql server instance, which just isn't necessary at all based on their existing use cases (load data, query it repeatedly; not transactional data, few relationships in most of the data).

I demo'd some quick stuff today (load a CSV file into S3, use AWS Athena to query it), and they were like 'Whoa, that's querying a CSV file?' ~5 million rows, and could sum/group/select, etc in about 2s per query.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Python

Post by TheCatt »

Good thing my flight from Boston back home was cancelled, rescheduled, then delayed so I have nothing better to do than contemplate this offer repeatedly in the airport. With luck I'll be on a plane in 15 to 25.
thibodeaux

Python

Post by thibodeaux »

Need any PhDs on your new team?
TheCatt
Site Admin

Python

Post by TheCatt »

thibodeaux wrote: Need any PhDs on your new team?
Haha, maybe? I asked about growing the team, and they said maybe, but probably not soon. They are interested in ml and dl, but their previous engineer was a PhD with ML background and they had not been impressed with his ML results
thibodeaux

Python

Post by thibodeaux »

Hm. Yeah...might not be a good fit then :p
GORDON
Site Admin

Python

Post by GORDON »

Unpaid intern. Show you can be a team player.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
TheCatt
Site Admin

Python

Post by TheCatt »

thibodeaux wrote: Hm. Yeah...might not be a good fit then :p
"Wait, they want results?"
GORDON wrote: Unpaid intern.
Good plan - Thib, I'll provide 1 Smokey's lunch per week as extra incentive.
thibodeaux

Python

Post by thibodeaux »

I make more than an unpaid intern + weekly bbq right now, so...not sure...
GORDON
Site Admin

Python

Post by GORDON »

Picturing you sipping the starbucks Thib brought you, and you slam it on the floor and scream at him, "I SAID LOWFAT MILK."
TheCatt
Site Admin

Python

Post by TheCatt »

thibodeaux wrote: I make more than an unpaid intern + weekly bbq right now, so...not sure...
Fine, two days a week. Literally just doubled my offer. Can't do better than that.
GORDON wrote: Thib brought you, and you slam it on the floor and scream at him, "I SAID LOWFAT MILK."
I'm really more into cream than fake milk
GORDON
Site Admin

Python

Post by GORDON »

If you're travelling you'll probably want to reinstate your Youtube TV so you can watch it while on the road.

*ahem*