Windows 10

GORDON
Site Admin

Windows 10

Post by GORDON »

My last PC couldn't see the RJ-45 jack without the CD driver first.... good thing this new mobo is more common or something.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
TheCatt
Site Admin

Windows 10

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: My last PC couldn't see the RJ-45 jack without the CD driver first.... good thing this new mobo is more common or something.
Windows 10 has better default drivers than in the past.
It's not me, it's someone else.
GORDON
Site Admin

Windows 10

Post by GORDON »

So far so good, anyway.... I still have an unknown PCI device in my hardware list, Windows Update can't figure it out, I can't run the mobo drivers disk, and there isn't any descriptive text in the device description to do it manually.
Leisher
Site Admin

Windows 10

Post by Leisher »

What's missing? Or better yet, what components of your new build are listed? That might help you figure out what isn't.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

Windows 10

Post by GORDON »

"PCI Simple Communications Controller."

Otherwise everything is working fine.... so I don't know what's missing.

Went to MSI's site and DL'd all the drivers and utilities and stuff.... it was amusing when Half the Win10 versions of drivers and utilities said "This isn't compatible with your platform." SO.... I'm sure something was missed.
Leisher
Site Admin

Windows 10

Post by Leisher »

"PCI Simple Communications Controller."
I would check motherboard drivers. Don't sweat it too much. If everything else is working it's probably not something you'll use anyway.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

Windows 10

Post by GORDON »

Regarding ads:

I don't think I am seeing them any more. I was at first, lots, but....

1. I have gone through the various "how to disable ads/spyware" links in this thread and done them all.

2. I am on Win10 Pro, and I think I read at one point that it was thew Home version that got hit the most by ads.

SO I am trying to get used to the interface. It seems stupider and uglier than Win7, but what can you do.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Windows 10

Post by TheCatt »

Pro here, no ads seen, have not done anything to abolish them.
It's not me, it's someone else.
GORDON
Site Admin

Windows 10

Post by GORDON »

In the start menu it was making suggestions for Microsoft "apps" it thought I'd want, I had to turn 4 or 5 switches off.

OneDrive... the software actually loaded pre-installed, and kept suggesting I order the full... whatever. Version. Subscription. Whatever. I actually uninstalled it that software... and then it reappeared again. So I uninstalled it again, and so far it has stuck, I haven't been hit with that ad again.
Leisher
Site Admin

Windows 10

Post by Leisher »

GORDON wrote: OneDrive... the software actually loaded pre-installed, and kept suggesting I order the full... whatever. Version. Subscription. Whatever. I actually uninstalled it that software... and then it reappeared again. So I uninstalled it again, and so far it has stuck, I haven't been hit with that ad again.
If it's anything like Apple's bullshit cloud storage it will reinstall and activate every time you update.

Is there anything more infuriating than these assholes thinking they have the right to your data?
GORDON
Site Admin

Windows 10

Post by GORDON »

If they can keep forcing it on you eventually they will be able.to.say they have the largest cloud storage base... Just like how win10 is now on 500m devices.

"We'll upgrade you whether you want it or not and break old versions" is a hell of an install strategy.
Malcolm

Windows 10

Post by Malcolm »

Linux. The command line is your friend.
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
Arnold Judas Rimmer, BSC, SSC: "Better dead than smeg."
Malcolm

Windows 10

Post by Malcolm »

MS, being bastards, has made SQL Server 2016 play nicely with only Winblows 8 and above. I might have to upsideways-grade.
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
Arnold Judas Rimmer, BSC, SSC: "Better dead than smeg."
Leisher
Site Admin

Windows 10

Post by Leisher »

Malcolm wrote: MS, being bastards, has made SQL Server 2016 play nicely with only Winblows 8 and above. I might have to upsideways-grade.
I don't hold stuff like that against anyone. They've ended support in every other way for Win 7, so why not continue to try and get people to move?

Frustrating when they move on from a known good product, but that's how the world works.
GORDON
Site Admin

Windows 10

Post by GORDON »

Leisher
Site Admin

Windows 10

Post by Leisher »

Leisher
Site Admin

Windows 10

Post by Leisher »

Preview for build 16215 and mobile 15222.

Nice features and you can see the strategy for mobility. They're going to turn your phone into a fully functioning PC. About time.
Leisher
Site Admin

Windows 10

Post by Leisher »

Leisher
Site Admin

Windows 10

Post by Leisher »

Welcome back Paint.

No longer autoinstalled, but it'll still be there.
Leisher
Site Admin

Windows 10

Post by Leisher »