Windows 10

TheCatt
Site Admin

Re: Windows 10

Post by TheCatt »

Daughter's machine now asks to be activated, says I cannot do it. Chat says "not our fault"

Also, it removed ALL parental controls on the account. Nice job, shitheads.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

It's never too early to introduce them to the command line.
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
Arnold Judas Rimmer, BSC, SSC: "Better dead than smeg."
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

I gave my machine up to Microsoft 30-35 minutes ago... the dude was just googling for troubleshooting tips on my pc.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Fucking hell. They're just sitting there at "Windows update" waiting for a miracle.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

I gave up on the guy and demanded a new product key. He put one in, it worked, the end.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Googling the problem while you watch... hilarious... he wasn't even using Bing?
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

I had made my default search engine Google.

Still hasn't resolved the lack of parental controls, but whatever... another day.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Again, it would be hilarious if not so goddam sad.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Customer wins $10k after forced upgrade wrecks her shit.

http://www.computerworld.com/article/30 ... grade.html
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

GORDON wrote:Customer wins $10k after forced upgrade wrecks her shit.

http://www.computerworld.com/article/30 ... grade.html
Nowhere near enough. Maybe $10K to everyone whose machine they've unlawfully and willingly hijacked, that might get their attention.
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

That means it has been almost a year since I have had to turn off automatic updates on my Win7 machines.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Class action suit filed.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

I personally know three small business owners who got fucked over when their PCs updated in the middle of the night after they told it no 5 times.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

MS thinks "Express" means "fuck you over."
Although Windows 10 Express settings will get you up and running quickly, that convenience comes at a cost: By skipping over custom settings, you’re agreeing to all kinds of data collection and behavior tracking, much of which didn’t apply in earlier versions of Windows.
Some of these are semi-concerning. Here are ones which rank higher:
Automatically connect to suggested open hotspots. Not all networks are secure.

Microsoft maintains a list of known Wi-Fi hotspots around the world, and with this setting enabled, Windows 10 will automatically connect to them. While this may be convenient in some cases, open hotspots can also be slow and unreliable, and are more susceptible to eavesdropping. If you’re comfortable connecting to Wi-Fi networks on your own, it’s best to disable this setting.
Automatically connect to networks shared by your contacts.

This setting lets you connect to any network that’s been accessed by your contacts on Facebook, Skype, and Outlook.com—and vice versa—without having to enter a password. It’s part of a broader set of features called Wi-Fi Sense, and it stirred up a controversy due to security concerns. Microsoft may be killing this feature in a future Windows update, but for now you’ll have to disable it during setup.
Send full error and diagnostic information to Microsoft

This setting helps Microsoft fix bugs in Windows 10, but there’s a trade-off: It allows the company to collect extensive data about your PC, including personal data from your own content. Microsoft says it only collects this data when it needs to diagnose a specific problem, and only from a small sampling of affected PCs. The company also says it won’t use this data for identification, contact, or targeted ads. Theoretically, this information should benefit all Windows 10 users, but Microsoft is asking for a lot of trust in return.
Use page prediction to improve reading, speed up browsing, and make your overall experience better in Windows browsers. Your browsing data will be sent to Microsoft.

With the Edge browser, Microsoft can guess which pages you’re about to click on, and load them ahead of time so you don’t have to wait. Turning this on will make web browsing feel faster, at the expense of more data collection. (Google Chrome has a similar feature, called prefetch.)
Then there's this.
One last thing: Express settings don’t cover all cases of privacy and data collection in Windows 10.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Windows 10 is getting ready to download money from your wallet.
If you wait to upgrade a new PC with Windows 10 Home to Pro, you'll pay $199. Ouch.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

The current guy is all about the cash. As soon as he took over MS started auditing their customers. I was one of them.

They're now trying to move everything to a subscription based model. It's terrible.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

We got audited too. Fuckers.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

"After seven days, per our published policy for actively exploited critical vulnerabilities, we are today disclosing the existence of a remaining critical vulnerability in Windows for which no advisory or fix has yet been released," Google wrote. "This vulnerability is particularly serious because we know it is being actively exploited."
7 days?