Surface

Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Review

I've heard there is some technical issue, which you expect with any first gen device, but the early word is pretty positive.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

The Surface Pro hits stores on February 9th. Barring some unforeseen sell out or incident, I will own one that day. So look for a review in the week following.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Microsoft is showing their incompetence.

National campaign for the Surface being released today, right? So after watching Apple get lots of negative press by not having enough available, what does MS do?

The same thing.

Not enough available unless you want the 64 GB version, which is half the memory for $100 less. Who the fuck wants that? As a MS guy I talked to put it:"nobody".
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Well, let your product sell out, and it creates media, and people get all "I WANT ONE"... worked for Apple... Wii... Google...
It's not me, it's someone else.
Cakedaddy

Post by Cakedaddy »

If it's selling out, then it must be really good.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Just bought two. Should have them by Wednesday. Reviews will be coming.

And selling out doesn't equal quality. Early reviews have been positive.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

The Chinese slave labor is going as fast as it can. Cut them some slack.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

So far, it's pretty nice.

The best description I can possibly give it would be:
"It's a tablet, but also a fully functioning laptop."

Comes with Windows 8 Pro installed, and works exactly as a PC when you're in desktop mode and exactly like a tablet when you're in tiles.

The biggest criticism so far is that they still have a ways to go to make the experience more streamlined and user friendly, but they're definitely on the right path.

Also, I keep hearing Verizon will be selling them, but don't expect to see any with cell capability.

Gabriel from Penny Arcade posted this screen shot of his...

Edited By Leisher on 1361369161
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

You can plug your X-Box controller into it.
Leisher
Site Admin

Surface

Post by Leisher »

Getting hit for issues at the 2 year mark.

I would agree completely when it comes to their Pro line, which is the Tablet with the "soft" keyboard.

However, the Surface Books are more solid. We've got about 30 in use here and we've seen 1 display go bad, 2-3 issues with WiFi not working, and 1 that was a complete lemon. I've seen similar numbers in regular laptops and desktops. Sometimes shit just arrives broken, it happens.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Surface

Post by TheCatt »

My brother got an early Surface Book and it was terrible, he eventually ended up returning it.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

Surface

Post by Leisher »

I honestly haven't held onto one long enough to hate it. I'm running with the 4th(?) version now and have had zero issues.

However, when I question new people about what type of device they want I always specify: Traditional laptop means a bit heavier, but more powerful and reliable. Surface Book means lighter, but not as powerful or reliable.