Tech questions from a non-techie

71-1085092892

Post by 71-1085092892 »

I received the following email yesterday from a friend:
Ok, here it is. Called Time Warner, set up date to get cable, and this box called like dvr I think and it lets me pause and like rewind live tv and record all my favorite shows...I guess its like tivo or something...anyways. I also got internet set up....I told them I wanted their high speed road runner thing and told them how I wanted wireless. The lady said its like 14.99 a month....for the "router" i think if I dont have my own....should I buy my own and if so what kind and such? And she kept mentioning this card...a "wireless network card" I think she called it...said Id have to pay more for that too if I didnt have one...my computer was all about wireless when I bought it and has like the centrino mobile technology or whatever thats called....so do I have this card shes talking about? Do I need certain things...that someone like me wouldnt know of...do I have what I need....should I just pay each month for the router or go buy one? And what about a modem?? I could have sworn I needed something like that but she never mentioned one....

1. DVR is like tivo, as far as I know. Not important to the internet issues.

2. A router. You should have one, and you can get a wireless one now for under $50... but unless you know what you're doing, you wont now how to set it up. If you can't get anyone physically there to hook it up, I suggest just paying the $15/month and let the time warner guy mess with it.

3. Mobile centrino technology... I've never owned it myself. dtman people... does this mean her laptop pc is wireless internet ready? If it is, you have a wireless network card already built in. If not, a card for a laptop costs under $50, IIRC.

When they set up RoadRunner, they'll give you the modem, and if needs be, a network card. If you're going wireless... that's new to me, if you're using the time warner wireless stuff. I've always just done my own.
thibodeaux

Post by thibodeaux »

I'd say buy a router/AP. It ain't THAT hard to maintain. Most of them work out of the box, although their security settings are horrid. No way I'd shell out almost $200/year in rent on one.

And yes, a lot of laptops now come with a built-in wireless NIC nowadays.
71-1085092892

Post by 71-1085092892 »

Buy your own router... JUST KEEP THE BOX AND INSTRUCTIONS. I hate it when people ask for help, and they've thrown their manuals away, heh.
mbilderback

Post by mbilderback »

Centrino is Intel's built in wireless device. The machine should have wireless LAN and Wi-Fi capabilities built in.
Cakedaddy

Post by Cakedaddy »

When I bought my laptop (about 6 months ago or so) many laptops didn't have wireless built in. It was an option. But only on the low end (<$1k) models. Any laptop I've seen that had it integrated had a little 'on/off' type switch on the front right side of the laptop. To disable it if you wanted. See if that button is there. If this was a higher end model, it's probably integrated.

DVR stuff is awesome. I don't know how I ever lived without it. I find myself wishing I could rewind the radio, like I can my TV, if I miss something. "What did he just say?" Rewind. . .

I agree with Thib on the wireless stuff. Definately buy one. And it will most likely work out of the box. But others can hop on it too if they park outside the house. . .
thibodeaux

Post by thibodeaux »

Shit, even if your friend is unable to configure it, there's got to be some geeky-ass teenager nearby who'd be happy to set it up for, like $50 or less.
JTB02

Post by JTB02 »

Just wanted to say thanks everyone, Im the non-techie :-)
Gordon gave me the name of a router I need and I will be buying one at Best Buy tomorrow hopefully.

Thanks again!
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Centrino means the following, FYI:

Latop has:
- Intel Pentium M chip (1.3-2.0 Ghz currently)
- Intel chipset (855 I think)
- Integrated 802.11b wireless (or b/g depending on version of Centrino)
It's not me, it's someone else.
mbilderback

Post by mbilderback »

I bought my laptop before Centrino, but I basically have it now. 1.9Ghz P-m, and I got an 802.11g wireless card. Definately go for the G. 52meg transfer is great for wireless, and you can even go with SuperG which doubles that to 108meg.