Silicon Valley

Leisher
Site Admin

Silicon Valley

Post by Leisher »

As stated elsewhere heard an interview recently with Kumail Nanjiani who stars in Silicon Valley. He mentioned that during the run of the show the cast got to actually visit Silicon Valley and what struck him most is how everyone there is a massive dick.

He was serious.

He goes on to imply these people are developing all this new technology and all they care about is the technology. They never consider how the application of the technology will affect people. They're typically anti-social with very little experience of how real people and families exist and function. He says they were devoid of most human emotions like humility.

I tend to believe him knowing what I know of tech people. It also helps to explain why everything spies on you and nobody in Silicon Valley seems to think it's a bad thing or why Apple/MS/etc. think it's ok to take your documents/photos/etc. off of your private devices and put them onto their servers.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Silicon Valley

Post by TheCatt »

I thought you were going to contradict him in the middle... :)

Based on my knowledge, as well, I'd agree. Maybe not quite as extreme as him, but mostly agree.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

Silicon Valley

Post by Leisher »

I posted this because I think there's a very, very legit problem here that needs to be addressed. These tech companies need focus groups, and not just random people living in California.

They need other tech workers with families from large companies and SMBs throughout the nation. They need folks who can understand the actual impact versus people who are impressed by the bells and whistles.

I had heard that the original Ctrl+Alt+Del was a 7 button combination and it had to be explained to the engineer/programmer/developer that a 7 button combo wasn't as convenient and easy as he thought.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Stranger

Silicon Valley

Post by Stranger »

Leisher wrote: They need other tech workers with families
The problem is, these people don't exist. At least for the super smart techies that i'm sure work in Silicon Valley. Hell, two of my best techs i have working for me are two of the biggest weirdos i've ever met.

One is a huge 48 year old humpty dumpty looking ogre. He's got a Masters in electrical engineering, was my teacher in college and is one of the smartest humans i may have ever met. But the guy has no idea how to be normal or interact with people in any sort of social fashion. Yeah, he was my teacher and is more qualified on a technical basis to have my job, but i'm his boss just because he doesn't posses the ability to interact with people. We're all fairly certain that this guy is still a virgin.

The other guy is basically the young looking version of Art Garfunkle, but he's starting to bald on top so he looks really odd, oh yeah he's maybe got 3 whole teeth in his mouth, the other black nubs that i can see must somehow function as teeth. Also, a suspected virgin among the office.

So if this is what i've got to work with around here i can only imagine what kind of people are working in Silicon Valley.
WORLD CHAMPIONS!!
Leisher
Site Admin

Silicon Valley

Post by Leisher »

Stranger wrote: The problem is, these people don't exist.
I meant people like us.

We're both tech workers with families. Catt is, Cake is, and Gordo was/is. Not sure about everyone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

Silicon Valley

Post by Leisher »

Remember the Black Mirror episode "Nosedive" or The Orville episode "Majority Rules"?

Silicon Valley loves the idea.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Silicon Valley

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Remember the Black Mirror episode "Nosedive" or The Orville episode "Majority Rules"?

Silicon Valley loves the idea.
Silicon Valley isn't enforcing it, for the most part, they are mostly providing an avenue of feedback from users (airbnb, uber, lyft, ebay, etc). Checking out people's social feeds? I did that when I hired people. I could definitely see someone making a service of that.

Overall, sounds all reasonable to me. Pretty far from where China is.
Leisher
Site Admin

Silicon Valley

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Overall, sounds all reasonable to me. Pretty far from where China is.
So far, but as the saying goes, "It's a slippery slope."

I mean, we already live in the "Nosedive" world, just without the convenient buttons.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Silicon Valley

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: So far, but as the saying goes, "It's a slippery slope."
We made nuclear bombs, but haven't destroyed the world (yet)
Leisher
Site Admin

Silicon Valley

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote:
Leisher wrote: So far, but as the saying goes, "It's a slippery slope."
We made nuclear bombs, but haven't destroyed the world (yet)
The world's not exactly in great shape either.