Failing hard drive.

GORDON
Site Admin

Failing hard drive.

Post by GORDON »

I have a hard drive failing, on my server. My mp3 drive. Many, many gigs.

I can still see the files, and play them, but somehow I can't copy them out, in order to replace the drive. It's weird. Even chkdsk isn't fixing it. They just won't copy.

I really hope I don't have to restart my cd ripping process.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
GORDON
Site Admin

Failing hard drive.

Post by GORDON »

It's letting me copy 5 folders at a time. I'll try that. Maybe something corrupt in the middle was failing the bulk copy.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Failing hard drive.

Post by TheCatt »

Everything should always be backed up... Dude.
It's not me, it's someone else.
GORDON
Site Admin

Failing hard drive.

Post by GORDON »

TheCatt wrote: Everything should always be backed up... Dude.
Here we are in that transition period between Crashplan, and a Google cloud drive. Crashplan is dead, and the multiple copies of data that I had. The Google Drive upload took weeks, and I don't yet know if it got everything.

So of course, NOW is when that drive will fail, when I have MAYBE one good copy of my data.

I was just seeing what I could pull in a quick, local data backup before I replaced that drive, and went to see what the cloud had backed up.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Failing hard drive.

Post by TheCatt »

I still use Crashplan. $2.50/month for 1 year til it becomes $10/month.
GORDON
Site Admin

Failing hard drive.

Post by GORDON »

That business upgrade is still in effect? Why did they keep telling me to go to Iron Mountain? I probably would have done an upgrade.
GORDON
Site Admin

Failing hard drive.

Post by GORDON »

I've narrowed down the bad folder that was stopping the bulk copy.

\Lady Gaga\Born This Way

I can live without that album.
GORDON
Site Admin

Failing hard drive.

Post by GORDON »

What's the current school of thought regarding pulling hard drives/plugging them in, while the computer is powered on?

I didn't label them, and it will be a guessing game. I'm going to have to pull one, then look at windows explorer and see what's missing. It will save time if I can leave the computer on.

But I probably can't.
Leisher
Site Admin

Failing hard drive.

Post by Leisher »

Depends on how they're setup. RAIDs are made for that exact purpose. Flash drives are pretty ok with it too.

Why can't you power down to be safe?

Also, if you have a HD with something on it that's unrecoverable, sent it to Ontrack. Those guys are awesome. Not too expensive either. Just don't send them your book or the FBI will be following up... :D
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

Failing hard drive.

Post by GORDON »

I can reboot. It's just slow
TheCatt
Site Admin

Failing hard drive.

Post by TheCatt »

Typically, you can pull SATA drives live, is my understanding. But I don't do it. (Mostly cuz I rarely need to pull a drive these days).

I don't know if the Small Business plan is still in effect. I had to take the offer a few months ago.
GORDON
Site Admin

Failing hard drive.

Post by GORDON »

I uninstalled crashplan. If you still have my files on your server, you can delete them.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Failing hard drive.

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: I uninstalled crashplan. If you still have my files on your server, you can delete them.
I think they self destruct or something.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Failing hard drive.

Post by TheCatt »

Crashplan doesn't work with my fancy new NAS. So I'm using Amazon Deep Glacier ($1/TB, but expensive to get back out). We'll see how that goes. I'm uploading everything to S3, then have a lifecycle policy that moves that files to Deep Glacier after one day, with a one-way sync.

I thought of this the other day, implemented it, then found this guide that does the exact same thing: https://chunter.org/2019/05/glacier-dee ... y-backups/
GORDON
Site Admin

Failing hard drive.

Post by GORDON »

I've been using the Google drive upgrade to 2tb, for all my saved files. Something like 9 a month, but for being a customer I get other discounts on stuff through the year, which I have used.

Plus I know that saving my shitt directly to Google keeps them from having to scrub the internet to violate my privacy. This saves bandwidth for everyone in the long run. You're welcome.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Failing hard drive.

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: I've been using the Google drive upgrade to 2tb, for all my saved files. Something like 9 a month, but for being a customer I get other discounts on stuff through the year, which I have used.

Plus I know that saving my shitt directly to Google keeps them from having to scrub the internet to violate my privacy. This saves bandwidth for everyone in the long run. You're welcome.
lol

I would need > 2TB/month, and hell if I'm paying $99/month for 10TB. Ooooof. I also considered Wasabi at $6/TB/month. But, with AWS I usually get $100 to $200 in free credits a year, so hopefully it's basically free.

With Google Fiber I was able to upload the first part of my backups (1.2TB) in less than 12 hours.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Failing hard drive.

Post by TheCatt »

TheCatt wrote: Crashplan doesn't work with my fancy new NAS. So I'm using Amazon Deep Glacier ($1/TB, but expensive to get back out). We'll see how that goes. I'm uploading everything to S3, then have a lifecycle policy that moves that files to Deep Glacier after one day, with a one-way sync.

I thought of this the other day, implemented it, then found this guide that does the exact same thing: https://chunter.org/2019/05/glacier-dee ... y-backups/
I've canceled CrashPlan ($9.99/month).

Glacier cost me $8.45 to put ~100k of files at 1.2TB into storage (2 days of S3 storage, then lifecycle migrated to Deep Glacier, which cost $6), it will then cost $1/TB-Month form now on. So that worked well. Can upload the rest of my data now.