Routers

GORDON
Site Admin

Routers

Post by GORDON »

I wish you could get a home router where you could go in admin and see, "Oh hey this mac address is using a shitload of bandwidth," then have a simple slider to just throttle what that device could use. When IO've tried to throttle ports/IP addresses/Mac addresses in the past, it's never worked, and had shitty settings like "high priority/low priority." Just let me assign a goddam percentage, or hard value, to maximum up/down throughput. Christ. Idiots.

My kid's xbox updates are hogging the whole internet.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Leisher
Site Admin

Routers

Post by Leisher »

What router are you using?

Apparently, Netgear doesn't give users that featured, but it has been requested. In the meantime, people say to use the QoS settings. Other routers might, and do, per claims by people in the Netgear forums.

You can tell the X-Box to download when that console is off. (Google it) Not sure if you can set times on it.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

Routers

Post by GORDON »

Qos has never worked for me
Leisher
Site Admin

Routers

Post by Leisher »

Try unplugging his X-Box, and when he complains, tell him to get a job.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Routers

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Try unplugging his X-Box, and when he complains, tell him to get a job.
And, then show him this
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

Routers

Post by Leisher »

I second that.
Cakedaddy

Routers

Post by Cakedaddy »

Is he eating up your monthly allowed data, or is he slowing everything else down? If he's just slowing everything else down, high/low priority should fix it. If QoS doesn't work for you, you are doing something wrong. :-)

If he's eating up the monthly amount, then try spanking.
GORDON
Site Admin

Routers

Post by GORDON »

Just slowing everything down.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Routers

Post by TheCatt »

I remember trying QoS in the previous decade, and it just fucked everything up cuz home routers could barely handle anything on their pea-brained CPUs. But it should be better now.
Cakedaddy

Routers

Post by Cakedaddy »

I guess it's spanking then.

Sorry gordon (I figure the young one is all lower case), I tried.
Leisher
Site Admin

Routers

Post by Leisher »

GORDON wrote: I wish you could get a home router where you could go in admin and see, "Oh hey this mac address is using a shitload of bandwidth," then have a simple slider to just throttle what that device could use. When IO've tried to throttle ports/IP addresses/Mac addresses in the past, it's never worked, and had shitty settings like "high priority/low priority." Just let me assign a goddam percentage, or hard value, to maximum up/down throughput. Christ. Idiots.
Not sure if you know, but Netgear has this feature now.

Just grabbed a Nighthawk Tri-Band AX12 12-Stream WiFi 6 router. Installing now. Review later.

It's replacing my X10, which worked mostly great. It's in my basement office on one side of the house and was sketchy in the twins' bedroom on the second floor and the other side of the house. Everywhere else it was great.

First note: "There's an app for that." For real, there's a Netgear Nighthawk app to help you manage your home network.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Routers

Post by TheCatt »

I think our Google WiFi does that. And it can identify many devices with names or such
Leisher
Site Admin

Routers

Post by Leisher »

A couple of the big names have it now. It's nice.

Setting up this router was done 100% via the app. Also nice.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Routers

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: A couple of the big names have it now. It's nice.

Setting up this router was done 100% via the app. Also nice.
Same for Google, and the app didnt suck
Leisher
Site Admin

Routers

Post by Leisher »

Yeah, the Nighthawk app is shockingly decent.

So far I like it. I've got 2.4, 5, and 5 Ghz networks. I'm using one of the 5s for streaming, another for the adults' devices and a few small home things, and the 2.4 for the kids' rooms as they're the farthest from the router and it's working well.

Not sure which devices of mine can actually take advantage of WiFi6, but I've got it...

I've heard good things about the Google stuff too, but I've always used Netgear and their stuff is highly rated.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Routers

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: I've heard good things about the Google stuff too,
The google stuff has very good usability, decent price, but rarely the best performance.
Leisher
Site Admin

Routers

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote:
Leisher wrote: I've heard good things about the Google stuff too,
The google stuff has very good usability, decent price, but rarely the best performance.
Yeah, I get that. That Nest Hub I got for my wife went offline when I swapped out the router and I had to get on her phone, her Google Home, and basically re-register it to the network. That was a bit stupid.

Netgear's equipment is pretty awesome. The AX12 is the top router out there right now.
Leisher
Site Admin

Routers

Post by Leisher »

Leisher wrote: The AX12 is the top router out there right now.
This was not true.

My RAX200 (AX12) started having issues recently. Constant buffering for streaming (although this really only affected YouTubeTV, and none of the other streaming apps). The living room TV started losing connection daily. Kids were complaining about spotty coverage all over the house. All firmware was updated, I did two different factory resets, searched countless forums, etc.

I discovered that the RAX200, despite being their top model, was not considered "awesome" because of a lot of flaws in the software.

To fix all the issues in my house I removed it and put the X10 back. Everything is working perfectly again.
GORDON
Site Admin

Routers

Post by GORDON »

Last time I had a router problem with symptoms like that, it ended up being an IP conflict. Two things with the same IP.
Leisher
Site Admin

Routers

Post by Leisher »

I did go through device by device to see if there was an issue like that, but nothing. My google searches revealed I was not alone in having a failing RAX200. If the family is gone one day I might plug it back in to dig further, but between the X10 and the extender I have upstairs we really don't lose anything.

One of the biggest issues with WiFi routers these days are the cable/WiFi routers that ISPs give their customers. People don't realize that if they have their own WiFi router, the Wifi in the modem needs to be disabled or the two networks will hurt one another.

Cake and I discussed such things years ago when he was installing WAPs in my plant.