Hiring a sales person

Cakedaddy

Hiring a sales person

Post by Cakedaddy »

Anyone have any experience?

How are they paid? Base plus commission. Commission only. Base only. How much?
How do you interview them?

Anyone want to be one?!
TheCatt
Site Admin

Hiring a sales person

Post by TheCatt »

Cakedaddy wrote: Anyone want to be one?!
Hell no.
Cakedaddy wrote: How are they paid? Base plus commission. Commission only. Base only. How much?
Varies. I think base + commission is most common. Just make sure the commission is tied to profitability of sales, not revenue.
Cakedaddy wrote: How do you interview them?
Get a reference from a psychiatrist?
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

Hiring a sales person

Post by Leisher »

Cakedaddy wrote: Anyone have any experience?
Kind of. I have discussed hiring this position for my dad's business.
Cakedaddy wrote: How are they paid? Base plus commission. Commission only. Base only. How much?
Google sales job salaries in your area. Use that as a template, but not gospel.

When I worked for the TV station, sales people got $0 in base salary. Their entire paycheck was based upon their sales. That's probably too extreme for your situation.

Find a good mix. You want a salary large enough to attract a young and hungry sales person, but small enough that it won't hurt your bottom line or encourage them to NOT work. Motivate them with performance linked bonuses.
Cakedaddy wrote: How do you interview them?
Normal interview process. Be honest about compensation and why you scaled it the way you did. If they are not open and outgoing, they are wrong for sales. You want someone who immediately seems like your best friend.

Have them sell you something. Give them a pen and tell them to sell you pens when your company only uses pencils. Ask them questions they can't know about the pen and see if they lie with an answer (bad) or tell you "they don't know, but they will find out for you" (good).

If your POC at companies tends to be men, try to hire a moderately attractive female. They have an easier time getting in the door. However, a down to Earth guy who does the best friend thing can KILL an attractive female in sales if her personality sucks.

If you need a sales guy...I MIGHT have a lead for you. I'd need details to provide him. Guy is EXACTLY the type I described. Knows everyone, can immediately talk to strangers, etc. Currently sells paper/printing and hates it.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
thibodeaux

Hiring a sales person

Post by thibodeaux »

Cakedaddy

Hiring a sales person

Post by Cakedaddy »

I'd be interested in talking to your guy. If he's up for a challenge with limitless potential!!

Knowing nothing about sales and how to hire for it, $0 base salary +commission sounds perfect! I'd don't have a big enough budget to pay someone that doesn't produce results because I don't know how to hire a good sales person.

We would have to figure out a scale that increases with greater sales. Large commission out of a small job is a waste of my time. But a large commission out of a huge job is not a waste. I can make it up with volume! Profiting $1 per man hour is nothing when you are working 5 guys. Work 10,000 guys, and 1$ per man hour isn't too bad. So when they sell 1000 hours, I can afford to pay more per hour than when they sell 10. Now I'm just 'thinking' out loud. . .

But ya. Would be interested in seeing if we could work something out. I would almost need to know what it would take for him to make a change. Figure out how much he would need to sell for him to make his nut. See how many people I would have to hire to do the work he's selling. Even if he's moonlighting and selling our stuff on the side. We don't compete with paper/printing, so, there's that.
Leisher
Site Admin

Hiring a sales person

Post by Leisher »

I'll see him Wednesday night at golf. I'll discuss it with him then.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

Hiring a sales person

Post by GORDON »

See if Herb Tarlek is still available.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Leisher
Site Admin

Hiring a sales person

Post by Leisher »

Now that's an impressive pull that dates you.
Leisher
Site Admin

Hiring a sales person

Post by Leisher »

Check your PMs Cake.