MYSQL

Cakedaddy

MYSQL

Post by Cakedaddy »

How do you back it up and restore from back up? Easily.

I have been backing up daily forever. I can see all the backups piling up and will purge old ones regularly. Also have it on a RAID 1 array. So I'm being very responsible with my data. However, one thing I learned this weekend is:
I don't know how to restore from backup.

My email uses MYSQL to keep track of email. When the server crashes, the DB gets jacked up and tons of emails are lost, etc. So, I start looking at my backups and realize I have no idea how to use them. Everything I read said "Back up your database before doing this. Now, delete everything in the DB." That's as far as I read. I don't know enough about MYSQL to delete everything even when I think I've been backing it up.

I REALLY don't want to have to become a DB admin to manage my email so I'm hoping there are user friendly utilities out there I might be able to use. Anyone know of any? Anyone know an easy way to back up and restore MYSQL DBs?
TheCatt
Site Admin

MYSQL

Post by TheCatt »

The easiest thing would be to stop using a physical server, and outsource your MySQL to Amazon Web Services using their RDS (Remote Database Service) MySql. It makes backup/restore point n click, and it takes care of most things for you.

Although, realistically, it looks pretty easy: https://alvinalexander.com/blog/post/my ... ackup-file

That restores to a new DB, so you can test things out. Or you can point your email server to it, without getting rid of the old DB first.

phpAdmin looks like a tool that makes life a little easier: https://support.managed.com/kb/a2034/ho ... admin.aspx

I don't use MySQL day to day, mostly MS-SQL
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

MYSQL

Post by Leisher »

We have both MySQL and MS-SQL, but our backup program has agents we install on servers based on their function and it does the rest.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Cakedaddy

MYSQL

Post by Cakedaddy »

Not sure I'd be able to point my email at a remote server. The whole thing loaded and configured itself at install. I guess that's the first thing to take a look at.

I'm embarrassed that it's almost to the point where I have to hire IT people to manage my stuff.
TheCatt
Site Admin

MYSQL

Post by TheCatt »

Cakedaddy wrote: Not sure I'd be able to point my email at a remote server. The whole thing loaded and configured itself at install. I guess that's the first thing to take a look at.
Typically programs like that have defaults, but can be configured. Obviously unknowable without knowing your software. You could fake it with a persistent SSH tunnel redirecting the localhost port to a remote server:port, but that's hacky.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Cakedaddy

MYSQL

Post by Cakedaddy »

Doing this stuff drives home how far I've fallen away from it. And why I got away from it. :-)
Leisher
Site Admin

MYSQL

Post by Leisher »

Cakedaddy wrote: Doing this stuff drives home how far I've fallen away from it.
It doesn't take long to forget stuff, especially since it's always changing. I've forgotten a lot of desktop stuff that comes back to me as soon as I get one step in the right direction. It's why I stick to servers. However, the more I get pulled into the managerial side, the more I forget.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”