Server brands

Cakedaddy

Server brands

Post by Cakedaddy »

Very interested in the server. I've already confirmed that Win2008 is still available and that Quickbooks runs on that. For now. It's the lowest OS version it supports. Do you think 2012 would run on this machine? Know what sucks? I used to have a copy of 2008 with 10 or 25 users. I got it from a trade show. But since it was a promo copy, every time I tried to sell it on Craigslist, my listing would get shut down. Can't sell promo copies. Held on to it for years. I think I finally ditched it when I moved. "I'm never going to need this". Going to look for it, but I'm not hopeful.

Correction, it would have been 2003. I was very much out of the game by 2008 and wouldn't have had access to a promo copy of 2008 at anything I would have been to. So no loss.
Cakedaddy

Server brands

Post by Cakedaddy »

I'm getting ready to post another "I need a server thread" and remember talking about this here before. . . .

So, any chance that server is available yet?!

Had another hard crash recently, along with some power outages taking things down. Wondering if it will come back up is nerve-racking. I just have to keep rebooting over and over and over until it decides to load. Its new thing is to crash after it's been up for an hour or two. MUST GET A NEW SERVER!

I'm looking on Dell's website and holy shit I have no idea how to build a server.

I want good RAID. I want it so that if a drive dies, the server will boot up with the secondary drive automatically or with minimal work. With my current, the data was copied, but the drive was not bootable. So I would have had to rebuild the server, reload all the software, copy/restore from backup, etc. HUGE pain. I want it so if the primary drives dies, I can say "Secondary, you are now primary". Install new secondary, and move on with my day. No reloading/reinstalling. Is that asking too much of RAID 1? Do I need to do RAID 5? I don't want software RAID. I don't trust it and I don't think it could accomplish what I described above.

Do you use a Trusted Platform Module?
TheCatt
Site Admin

Server brands

Post by TheCatt »

Raid 5 is the minimum. Raid 6 will give you dual drive fault tolerance. Also for $10 / month you can back up the important stuff or the cloud.

Raid 1 is redundancy, but is only 2 drives. Raid 10 is more than 2 drives, but needlessly mirrors everything instead of just using parity drives. That being said raid 6 is 4 drive minimum.

You could also get raid 5 with hot spare for automatic rebuild. Or raid 6 plus hot spare, etc
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

Server brands

Post by Leisher »

I don't build many servers myself these days, but I will be happy to help you. If I can't answer a question I have contacts that can.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
thibodeaux

Server brands

Post by thibodeaux »

wtf aws my dudes
Leisher
Site Admin

Server brands

Post by Leisher »

thibodeaux wrote: wtf aws my dudes
Some of us have proprietary data that cannot go into the cloud.

Cake probably doesn't though.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

Server brands

Post by GORDON »

find out which one hillary had in the closet HA HA HA HA HA
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
thibodeaux

Server brands

Post by thibodeaux »

Leisher wrote:
I’m skeptical; we’ve had no problem getting HIPAA and PCI certified running 100% in AWS. If you’re really paranoid, client-side encrypt it.
Leisher
Site Admin

Server brands

Post by Leisher »

thibodeaux wrote:
Leisher wrote:
I’m skeptical; we’ve had no problem getting HIPAA and PCI certified running 100% in AWS. If you’re really paranoid, client-side encrypt it.
As Michael Dell said last year at DTW, and I'm paraphrasing, "there's a reason 45% of our Fortune 500 customers are moving their data way from the cloud". We have a private cloud. Why do I need to put my data onto someone else's servers?
thibodeaux

Server brands

Post by thibodeaux »

So you don’t have to run your own? :lol:

Michael Dell is a smart man; smarter than me for sure if we are measuring by dollarS (and I believe that’s a valid test). Did he say what the reason was? Maybe Capital is cheap enough that Fortune 500 companies can afford to spend it on his products instead of paying Bezos out of petty cash*. I honestly don’t know. I do know that an actual increased risk of data breach or loss is not the reason...because that’s not real.

*Again, totally not joking. In my experience, a monthly S3 bill can easily be expensed by a manager.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Server brands

Post by TheCatt »

Honestly, Thib is right. Almost no data needs to be on prem. Everyone has ‘proprietary’ data. Almost all of it can go in the cloud.
thibodeaux

Server brands

Post by thibodeaux »

I mean, if you have the disks lying around, sure. But building out a new file server? No thanks.
Leisher
Site Admin

Server brands

Post by Leisher »

thibodeaux wrote: So you don’t have to run your own?
I like running my own.
TheCatt wrote: Honestly, Thib is right. Almost no data needs to be on prem. Everyone has ‘proprietary’ data. Almost all of it can go in the cloud.
For a lot of customers, it's fine. I would never argue it isn't. However, it isn't a fit for everyone.

A lot of the SaaS vendors that have been calling me for years have completely removed where any part of a company's data touches their servers because that was their #1 complaint and why folks wouldn't sign up for their products.

Some people don't want to be at the mercy of whoever holds their data or the ISPs involved.

Cost is also a question. I once spent 30 minutes on the phone with a Saas Email vendor and using his own numbers proved I'd save money hosting email myself over what he was offering.

I know if I was into corporate espionage, that shit has never been easier.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Server brands

Post by TheCatt »

Just because people don’t want a thing doesn’t mean it’s better for them that way.
Leisher
Site Admin

Server brands

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Just because people don’t want a thing doesn’t mean it’s better for them that way.
Incidentally, that's the same thing he told his wife when he talked her into marrying him.
Cakedaddy

Server brands

Post by Cakedaddy »

My server does:

1. Host my own email server using hMailServer. ISP screwed me too many times not backing up my stuff to trust them any more.
2. Quickbooks. QB is loaded and runs on the server. We use VNC to control the desktop using our respective devices to do our work.
3. Plex server.
4. Serves files.

Sure, #4 can go to AWS. But what about the rest?
TheCatt
Site Admin

Server brands

Post by TheCatt »

Actually, I would do #1 and #2 in the cloud before I'd do #3 and #4.

I run #3 and #4 off a NAS these days. I have my email remote, but everything gets autoforwarded to a GMAIL Account as well, so if something gets lost, Google has a copy.
Cakedaddy

Server brands

Post by Cakedaddy »

I just don't like the idea of handing everything over to google and amazon. "He's all of me. Everything I do and say. Everywhere I go. You have all of it now.". I know all that data is out there anyway, but they have to gather it and I'm not sure anyone has all of it. Using those services, there's nothing they wouldn't have.

How can google give away all that free email. What are the selling that's making it worth their while?

What NAS do you use?
TheCatt
Site Admin

Server brands

Post by TheCatt »

Cakedaddy wrote: How can google give away all that free email. What are the selling that's making it worth their while?
Ads.
Cakedaddy wrote: What NAS do you use?
Synology DS1618+ Right now it runs RAID 5 3x10TB drives. I plan to add one or two more to make it either RAID5 4x10TB with extra, or RAID 6. Also have an SSD in as a cache drive.

It has a lots of apps and stuff you can extend it's functionality with, but I just use it fore filesharing in the house, backups, and Plex.
Cakedaddy

Server brands

Post by Cakedaddy »

You're running plex on an Atom CPU?