PHP

Cakedaddy

PHP

Post by Cakedaddy »

Considering a project that would use PHP and a MySQL database. I've played with MySQL enough to accomplish getting the DB setup, but haven't touched PHP or the HTTP stuff that's going to make it do its thing. I get the impression there's not a very big learning curve, but, don't know for sure. Thoughts? Resources to pick it up? There's a webserver in there too, no? Apache work? Is there an easier/lower overhead one? Does this van get good gas mileage?
TheCatt
Site Admin

PHP

Post by TheCatt »

LAMP is a pretty standard web stack. At least for old school web development. These days the cool kids at work are doing a lot with JavaScript, even on the server side (see node.js)
It's not me, it's someone else.
thibodeaux

PHP

Post by thibodeaux »

Pretty standard so you'd be able to get help/hire/handoff easily.

But tbh for any project I'd start today, I'd go with serverless tech on AWS or other cloud.
TheCatt
Site Admin

PHP

Post by TheCatt »

thibodeaux wrote: Pretty standard so you'd be able to get help/hire/handoff easily.

But tbh for any project I'd start today, I'd go with serverless tech on AWS or other cloud.
Yeah, everything we do is serverless hotness.
Cakedaddy

PHP

Post by Cakedaddy »

The compiler I'm using is pretty close to BASIC, so I'm limited in what tools I can use. It does HTTP stuff with PHP.

Skimming LAMP, it's a turn key web server, php, mysql, linux server?

Keep in mind, this is a hobby. Not a career change. So it needs to have a very small learning curve and be easy with low overhead. It doesn't need to be fast and powerful. If a hobby project actually showed AMAZING promise, then I'd farm it out for actual development. But since I'm just making small games and tools that I like to use, I doubt it would ever come to that that.
TheCatt
Site Admin

PHP

Post by TheCatt »

Cakedaddy wrote: Skimming LAMP, it's a turn key web server, php, mysql, linux server?
It's a tech stack that people use a lot, therefore there should be plenty of tutorials on making it go.
Cakedaddy

PHP

Post by Cakedaddy »

Looking at WAMP so I don't have to build a new machine. But I'm leaning towards just using flat text files so I don't have to learn anything new. :-)