4K TVs and peripherals

GORDON
Site Admin

4K TVs and peripherals

Post by GORDON »

Since I'm going to have to replace a viewing station soon, I figured I would upgrade my Man Cave to 4k TV and... you know... the stuff that sends pictures to it. BD player, whatever is running the TV viewing, etc.

Anyone know anything about this? Along with a new TV, obviously, I know if I kept DirecTV, I would need to get a new receiver box that could handle 4k. I'm also going to need to get a new $400 receiver that can do 4k. I'm not sure if my current BD player (a PS3) can handle 4k... may need to get a PS4 for that.

SO what about Youtube TV/Google TV/etc... do they do 4k broadcasts, or is that an upgrade?
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
GORDON
Site Admin

4K TVs and peripherals

Post by GORDON »

ANd not even the PS4 will play the 4k disks. Nice.

https://www.pocket-lint.com/games/news/ ... d-blu-rays

They literally just lost a sale, if that's true. I'll keep the PS3 and get a stand-alone 4k player.
Cakedaddy

4K TVs and peripherals

Post by Cakedaddy »

Not worth it yet. Not enough content. Unless you want to rebuy everything, or start watching sports.
Not saying don't get 4k, it's pretty much standard now. Saying don't spend the cash to do 4k correctly.

At least that's my opinion. I'm not ready to drop $4000+ on new hardware and then rebuy stuff at a premium price to make use of my new gear. Your viewing options are so limited that there's no bang for your buck yet.
TheCatt
Site Admin

4K TVs and peripherals

Post by TheCatt »

Yeah, I was looking into it this Fall, but passed on 4k cuz it just doesn't seem like there's enough content yet.
It's not me, it's someone else.
GORDON
Site Admin

4K TVs and peripherals

Post by GORDON »

http://www.nme.com/news/film/matrix-get ... ay-2263272

But yeah, I'm already replacing a whole setup, so I might as well replace it with 4k.

And I don't foresee spending more than $1700, with a 60" TV.
Leisher
Site Admin

4K TVs and peripherals

Post by Leisher »

It's hilarious to see the UHD TVs that were so expensive two years ago now being given away.

I figure when I'm ready for a new TV in another year or so the 8Ks will have made the 4Ks almost free.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Cakedaddy

4K TVs and peripherals

Post by Cakedaddy »

If you're only spending $1700, you might as well keep it under $1000. Even at $1700, you are leaving a lot out of the experience.
GORDON
Site Admin

4K TVs and peripherals

Post by GORDON »

What is it I could.possibly get for $2k more, besides ten more inches of screen that won't fit in the space it's going in?
Cakedaddy

4K TVs and peripherals

Post by Cakedaddy »

Beauty and awesomeness. Compare OLED by LG to anything in the $1700 or less range. Dolby vision. Atmos. The list goes on depending on what brand you are looking at. The more you spend, the better things look and sound.

Atmos is amazing. My wife, who "doesn't get surround sound or HD" was blown away. We were 'playing' an Atmos demo at Best Buy. It was showing random pictures and sounds, etc. At one point, she looks up because it sounded like water was dripping over our head. This was all coming from a sound bar on the wall. You might say "Well my 5.1 does that now". I can only say, "No it doesn't".

Anything less than the full hot order is like watching upscaled SD on your current HD hardware. You're not really getting the full 4k experience. Does cheap 4k look better than HD? Sometimes, but not always. You will really have to shop around and compare things.
GORDON
Site Admin

4K TVs and peripherals

Post by GORDON »

Not sure if I care enough to spend the extra $2k. If I were looking to replace a perfectly good 1080P setup, then I'd care more about making a BIG difference. As it is, I'm losing one of the big TVs in the divorce, so I'm filling a hole. The merely "really good," system will be perfectly cromulent for my needs. Don't need bleeding edge at this time, for that premium.
GORDON
Site Admin

4K TVs and peripherals

Post by GORDON »

Also might as well upgrade the mancave to a 7.2 speaker system, while I'm at it. :P

Currently rocking a PERFECTLY configured 5.2. Measured and calibrated down to the inch, when one is siting in the perfect spot on the couch.

It's one of the reasons I'm leaning toward keeping the house, and not selling it for a nice warehouse apartment downtown.... I will never have a more perfect media room than I have right now.