Post by GORDON »

Best one for $1k.

Go.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Leisher
Site Admin

Gaming laptop

Post by Leisher »

Is it wrong that I actually chuckled when I read this? The best one you can get for $1k or under is by winning one in a contest.

Seriously though, who is this for?

You know the right questions:
-Will this be used solely for gaming?
-Are the games graphically intensive?
-Do you want it to be future proofed or able to grow into new tech?

If you're sticking with ARAM matches in LoL, $1k is very doable. If you're looking to play things more graphically intensive, it'll get more difficult.

I just googled "gaming laptops under $1000" and here's the first link.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

Gaming laptop

Post by GORDON »

What I expect for $1k is what you can get for $1k. I'm not a doof. But I don't know anything about the current mobile video processors, which will be the main thing that defines a "gaming laptop." Screen size/SSD/Ram, I get. Mobile video chips, no. They all try to market themselves as high speed graphic, but we know that isn't true.

It's for the kid for xmas. 99% of the time it will be used for youtube and watching movies on long drives, but I would like, at minimum, to be able to run LOL or SupCom.
Leisher
Site Admin

Gaming laptop

Post by Leisher »

Don't get pissy, but had you put this out here a month ago, I could have probably given you a Surface Book that would suit his needs. (Now it's in the employee sale and already has bids on it.)

I would just research what's out there using Google and actual trips to Best Buy. Many websites will allow you to build a PC and even if out of your price range, you can get a clue about what parts you should expect to get and for how much.

Falcon Northwest
Dell Black Friday laptops (Windows 10 Home...yuck)
Alienware
And so on...

I can't build you the exact PC you want, because it's almost impossible to stay on top of what's new/what's coming out unless you actually work for a Falcon Northwest, but doing research you should be able to find/build what you want.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

Gaming laptop

Post by GORDON »

I hope you aren't as much of a disappointment to your wife as you are to me.
Leisher
Site Admin

Gaming laptop

Post by Leisher »

Hurtful!

Did I mention we're selling a bunch of stuff to employees? Not everything is getting bids. I'll have leftover laptops, desktops, tablets, and cell phones.

I could probably get those in the hands of appreciative people.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Gaming laptop

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher always was my favorite.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

Gaming laptop

Post by Leisher »

Bidding ends at 5 EST Friday.

I'll post a listing of the better leftovers then.

One of the things for sale is a Surface Book with a 128GB NVIDIA graphics card. It's worth $1100 or so refurbished and the top bid is like $350 right now.
GORDON
Site Admin

Gaming laptop

Post by GORDON »

Leisher wrote: Hurtful!

Did I mention we're selling a bunch of stuff to employees? Not everything is getting bids. I'll have leftover laptops, desktops, tablets, and cell phones.

I could probably get those in the hands of appreciative people.
I got a refurb last time, in spite of my misgivings that it would have problems right out of the warranty period.

It had problems right out of the warranty period.

Going new this time.
Leisher
Site Admin

Gaming laptop

Post by Leisher »

You should. Plus, you're not appreciative enough.

You'd be shocked by the desktops though. I have two pretty solid workhorses that would just need graphic card updates. I think I'm sending my old Falcon Northwest to my cousin for video editing. That one alone would probably still retail around $2k.

The phones are mostly "like new", just older models. Although, no Droids so you guys wouldn't want them.
GORDON
Site Admin

Gaming laptop

Post by GORDON »

It's like.... I never buy used, because I don't want someone elses problems. But every now and then I talk myself into buying a used car or refurb laptop, and I end up eating a dick for it. I understand that not everyone has problems buying used, but I have, 100% of the time.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Gaming laptop

Post by TheCatt »

I'll never* buy a used car. Or laptop.

A while back I bought some stupid large Samsung tablet... like 12.2" or something. I had to switch it out 3 times, and ever god damned one of them was broken.

* - I've bought 2 used cars, but they were both from my parents.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

Gaming laptop

Post by Leisher »

I only buy used cars now. We've just had good experiences. A lot of it probably has to do with knowing where to get them and exactly what you're looking for in terms of red flags. There's a dealer near us that gets a bunch of corporate leases. You get cars a year old with 10-15k miles on them for nothing. They still have almost their whole warranty. It's great.

Laptops don't age well. I never recommend getting them unless they're going to a kid or for a project where it's just a brain and doesn't do anything else.

Desktops are a different story. We've got awesome ones that can be anything, and they never sell. People are dumb.
GORDON
Site Admin

Gaming laptop

Post by GORDON »

Bought this. Was more than I expected to get, at that price.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product. ... 6834154623

Fuck you.

ALso it was a lot cheaper than a similar laptop for sale at Costco.
Leisher
Site Admin

Gaming laptop

Post by Leisher »

You didn't get robbed.

See? Validation.
GORDON
Site Admin

Gaming laptop

Post by GORDON »

GORDON wrote: Bought this. Was more than I expected to get, at that price.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product. ... 6834154623

Fuck you.

ALso it was a lot cheaper than a similar laptop for sale at Costco.
Followup: Kid loaded ARK on it, and is able to play smoothly with graphics maxed. He's impressed.