Facebook/Meta

GORDON
Site Admin

Facebook

Post by GORDON »

Leisher wrote: So at what point can people start suing these corporations for profiting off of them illegally? At what point will executives at these companies start getting arrested?
"You accepted the terms of service."

People have to choose to disconnect from the world on their own. There's no changing things now, without blood.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Leisher
Site Admin

Facebook

Post by Leisher »

The user might have accepted the terms of service, but those terms of service probably don't include allowing third parties access to your private messages.

Also, the whole dealing with banned countries is treasonous and has nothing to do with TOS.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Facebook

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: The user might have accepted the terms of service, but those terms of service probably don't include allowing third parties access to your private messages.

Also, the whole dealing with banned countries is treasonous and has nothing to do with TOS.
1) Yes, what Leisher says is true.

2) Also, you cannot just put anything you want in ToS, there's a basic legal principle that says "most people are uninformed as to what these things mean, and they are therefore unenforceable"
It's not me, it's someone else.
Cakedaddy

Facebook

Post by Cakedaddy »

At what point will people be smart enough to not put sensitive information on Facebook?
TheCatt
Site Admin

Facebook

Post by TheCatt »

Cakedaddy wrote: At what point will people be smart enough to not put sensitive information on Facebook?
I've avoided using Messenger forever cuz I dont trust FB.
GORDON
Site Admin

Facebook

Post by GORDON »

TheCatt wrote: 2) Also, you cannot just put anything you want in ToS, there's a basic legal principle that says "most people are uninformed as to what these things mean, and they are therefore unenforceable"
At which time you're free to pay a thousand dollar retainer on a lawyer, and name Amazon in a massive lawsuit because they let the NSA access your FaceBook PMs.

:-D
Vince

Facebook

Post by Vince »

I suspect that there's about to be a massive overhaul to all the ToS soon. The right is getting smart on the complaints against Google, Twitter and FB. Criticism of the uneven applications of their rules leads to the defense of "they are a private company and can boot off who they wish". And that's true as far as it goes. But by using those standards, they are no longer a platform. They are a publisher. As such they should be subject to all the legal ramifications of being a publisher. Currently they are being given the best of both worlds with none of the responsibility. I have a feeling that will change in the next 5 years or so.
"... and then I was forced to walk the Trail of Tears." - Elizabeth Warren
TheCatt
Site Admin

Facebook

Post by TheCatt »

Internet: Facebook has too much power to remove stuff! We need to break it up!

Internet: Facebook doesn't have the power to remove New Zealand shooting videos fast enough! We need to break it up!

This is nonsensical. Imagine trying to get 20 Facebooks to remove those videos, or 100.
GORDON
Site Admin

Facebook

Post by GORDON »

Everything I don't like should be banned.
Leisher
Site Admin

Facebook

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Internet: Facebook has too much power to remove stuff! We need to break it up!

Internet: Facebook doesn't have the power to remove New Zealand shooting videos fast enough! We need to break it up!

This is nonsensical. Imagine trying to get 20 Facebooks to remove those videos, or 100.
It's complete insanity. These people simply have no concept of how quickly information flows and what they're asking FB and the rest to pull off.

What's the solution? A 1 minute delay on all live broadcasts with a human being reviewing ever single live stream before it goes live? And who's paying for that?
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

Facebook

Post by GORDON »

WHy are you against a jobs program? Racist.
Leisher
Site Admin

Facebook

Post by Leisher »

Leisher
Site Admin

Facebook

Post by Leisher »

Leisher
Site Admin

Facebook

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt
Site Admin

Facebook

Post by TheCatt »

I mean, NZ guy isn't wrong.

But yeah, RIP FoS.
Leisher
Site Admin

Facebook

Post by Leisher »

They're ALL morally bankrupt! Well, not all, but you know what I mean.

Tell me this isn't your average corporate stooge:
TheCatt
Site Admin

Facebook

Post by TheCatt »

Facebook drops ban hammer
Facebook announced Thursday afternoon that it had designated some high-profile people, including Nation of Islam leader Louis Farrakhan, who's notorious for using anti-Semitic language, and right-wing conspiracy theorist Alex Jones, as "dangerous" and said it will be purging them from its platforms.
GORDON
Site Admin

Facebook

Post by GORDON »

Comforting to know their Star Chamber will consist of an algorithm that auto-bans on complaint, and then the Indian who eventually looks at the appeal will be go off a list of keywords that "accidentally" skewed heavy conservative.

That being said, the vast majority of humans should not have any type of public voice, because the vast majority are criminally stupid. Ban them all.
Leisher
Site Admin

Facebook

Post by Leisher »

GORDON
Site Admin

Facebook

Post by GORDON »

Meh. Fuckum. Probably trying to shake FB down, in some way.