Facebook/Meta

GORDON
Site Admin

Facebook

Post by GORDON »

Again.... schools don't care about kids, or educating them. Their job is to receive and spend money, and the more kids they have, the more money they get. Cheaper to let the one kid get bullied until he kills himself or leaves the school than to get rid of the 10 kids bullying him. It isn't like public school enrollment drops, after a suicide. By more than 1, that is.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
TheCatt
Site Admin

Facebook

Post by TheCatt »

School teacher has students pick + choose who lives, lots of race/sexuality/gender included.

Honestly... I dont think this is the worst assignment in the world. People should be able to discuss these types of things without getting all bent out of shape.

I would bring:
- the med student
- the pregnant wife
- the muslim student
- the female movie star
- orphaned boy
- the gay athlete

And that's it.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Cakedaddy

Facebook

Post by Cakedaddy »

I wouldn't send any. If that's the best 12 we can come up with, what's the point?
Leisher
Site Admin

Facebook

Post by Leisher »

Cakedaddy wrote: I wouldn't send any. If that's the best 12 we can come up with, what's the point?
This.

Although, I really like the assignment and 100% agree that we must be able to discuss this stuff openly.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

Facebook

Post by GORDON »

No, we must stifle certain subjects so everyone has freedom.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Facebook

Post by TheCatt »

I assumed I was going along, so I brought the women, the gay guy to do all the work, and the boy to take over when I get old.
Leisher
Site Admin

Facebook

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: and the boy to take over when I get old.
So he gets to be in charge right away? :D
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Facebook

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote:
TheCatt wrote: and the boy to take over when I get old.
So he gets to be in charge right away? :D
I'm not Cake!

Also, you're older than me, so...
Leisher
Site Admin

Facebook

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Also, you're older than me, so...
True. I'm also wiser, which is why I wouldn't have mentioned me getting old...
TheCatt
Site Admin

Facebook

Post by TheCatt »

A friend of mine posted:

"I believe her. I believe you"

Which... is an emotional response to all of this more than logical.

And also, reminds me of something she posted four years ago. Where she believed the UVA rape stories when they came out. I wanted to respond "Let's wait for all the stories to come out," but man I knew I would just get attacked.

Women should be listened to. Allegations should be reported and investigated. People (police, medical, etc) should help victims, alleged and real. But you cannot just convict people based on statements.

A different friend posted this:
Look, I don't like Kavanaugh. I don't find him terribly convincing. But that's just my opinion. You cannot convict him of rape or assault based on these allegations. He's not Brock Turner.

Then there was this post:

I'm not touching that with a 10' pole.

A twitter friend was relating about how she'd been harassed, and I said something to the effect of "I had no idea this behavior was so common," etc... She then attacked me for being so blind, etc.

I feel like she was attacking the wrong person, but whatevs. I cannot win, so I do not engage.
Cakedaddy

Facebook

Post by Cakedaddy »

It's not even about winning. You can't participate.
Leisher
Site Admin

Facebook

Post by Leisher »

Zuck under fire for not giving Vine full access to defeat his company.

I'm all for fair competition, but if you think competitors should help one another you're fucking nuts.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Facebook

Post by TheCatt »

That policy restricted apps' access to Facebook data when the company deemed that the apps "replicated" Facebook's "core functionality." In other word, apps that Facebook thought might compete with them.
Apple doesn't even let those apps exist on their platform.

That being said, it's bullshit, from a consumer perspective. All these tech companies are engaged in some degree of this, and can go fuck themselves for it.
Leisher
Site Admin

Facebook

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: That being said, it's bullshit, from a consumer perspective. All these tech companies are engaged in some degree of this, and can go fuck themselves for it.
I don't expect them to help competitors, but they certainly shouldn't intentionally hinder them.

It's like Apple and MS coding their OSs to not allow certain competitors to even get their products onto devices. Or Google turning off Wave/Google Maps for non-Droid phones. And so on.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Facebook

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: It's like Apple and MS coding their OSs to not allow certain competitors to even get their products onto devices. Or Google turning off Wave/Google Maps for non-Droid phones. And so on.
Yep, all bullshit.
Cakedaddy

Facebook

Post by Cakedaddy »

I know this is a general question, but it seems to apply to most of the problems Facebook is facing.

"Why is Facebook in trouble for how stupid the users are?"

What is all this bullshit about 'fake news'. So, people were lying on the Internet, people believed the lies, and Facebook is responsible? What about SNL? How many people believe that Sarah Palin said she could see Russia from her house because of SNL spreading fake news?
Peoples' info, that they posted on the Internet for the whole world to see, is being used by companies in ways the users don't like, and Facebook is responsible? Know how you keep your shit private? Fucking duh.

I don't get it.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Facebook

Post by TheCatt »

First, you have to understand that people are not responsible for themselves...
TheCatt
Site Admin

Facebook

Post by TheCatt »

Facebook allowed Microsoft’s Bing search engine to see the names of virtually all Facebook users’ friends without consent, the records show, and gave Netflix and Spotify the ability to read Facebook users’ private messages.

The social network permitted Amazon to obtain users’ names and contact information through their friends, and it let Yahoo view streams of friends’ posts as recently as this summer, despite public statements that it had stopped that type of sharing years earlier.
Facebook, in turn, used contact lists from the partners, including Amazon, Yahoo and the Chinese company Huawei — which has been flagged as a security threat by American intelligence officials — to gain deeper insight into people’s relationships and suggest more connections, the records show.
GORDON
Site Admin

Facebook

Post by GORDON »

So if amazon or whomever made a deal with the NSA, then the NSA could read private FB messages with impunity, through amazon.
Leisher
Site Admin

Facebook

Post by Leisher »

So at what point can people start suing these corporations for profiting off of them illegally? At what point will executives at these companies start getting arrested?