Yay Google!

Post by GORDON »

"Nerds" was also my mental answer.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
TheCatt
Site Admin

Yay Google!

Post by TheCatt »

Have pixel 2. Thank goodness it comes with usbc to headphone jack converter. Too bad I cannot listen to music and charge at the same time
It's not me, it's someone else.
Vince

Yay Google!

Post by Vince »

Recently went back to an Android phone. I'm really disappointed that Windows stopped their phone OS. It was a battery hog, but it handled calls and text messages while listening to music/podcasts worlds better than Android does.

Does the pixel 2 please you overall? I know their camera is getting great reviews.
"... and then I was forced to walk the Trail of Tears." - Elizabeth Warren
Leisher
Site Admin

Yay Google!

Post by Leisher »

MS is still in the phone business, but they're apparently back at the drawing board.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Yay Google!

Post by TheCatt »

Vince wrote: Recently went back to an Android phone. I'm really disappointed that Windows stopped their phone OS. It was a battery hog, but it handled calls and text messages while listening to music/podcasts worlds better than Android does.

Does the pixel 2 please you overall? I know their camera is getting great reviews.
I've only had it a day. But I was pretty happy with the original Pixel. This is like that but faster + better camera (and no headphone jack)
Vince

Yay Google!

Post by Vince »

Leisher wrote: MS is still in the phone business, but they're apparently back at the drawing board.
Ah. I think people just have MS fatigue. I liked the idea of the OS being updated by someone other than phone manufacturer. With my old Android (think it was a Motorola) I stopped getting updates within a year and into its second year apps were hit or miss working on it. Once the phone manufacturer sold it to you, they had to decide where to allot their support programmers and that tended to be with newer and more high end phones.
"... and then I was forced to walk the Trail of Tears." - Elizabeth Warren
Leisher
Site Admin

Yay Google!

Post by Leisher »

Vince wrote: I think people just have MS fatigue
How could one have MS fatigue?

I think it was more a matter of them entering the market WAY too late, and with an inferior product. That OS was dogshit, but the phones were pretty kick ass. One model had a 48MB camera. The iPhone X only has a 12MB.

I don't understand why people like Droids. I think that OS is garbage too. Phone tech is solid though.

I also don't understand why folks love the iPhone. The OS might be the best, but that's not saying anything considering the competition. Also, the hardware is the worst.

I guess I hate all cell phones.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Yay Google!

Post by TheCatt »

Vince wrote:
I liked the idea of the OS being updated by someone other than phone manufacturer. With my old Android (think it was a Motorola) I stopped getting updates within a year and into its second year apps were hit or miss working on it
I stick to the google phones, since they get the fastest upgrades/patches, and a predictable support path/timeline.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Yay Google!

Post by TheCatt »

I bought a couple of Google Minis and a Chromecast Ultra. The minis were $32 after a $10 Google Checkout Coupon + $20 Amex coupon for Google Checkout. And they each come with a $25 Walmart gift card or something on my first Walmart-Google order. Oh, and a Google Chromecast Audio to connect my mini to a speaker. Which is not a solution that I love.

Also bought some Google gift cards ($83/$100) from Costco to cover my Youtube.tv and Google Music subscriptions for the coming year.

I considered buying a Google network 3-pack, but I cannot decide between that and the Orbi.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Yay Google!

Post by TheCatt »

Turns out each of those 2 minis comes with a $25 Walmart coupon via Google Express. Good news. Bad news is that the # of things you can order via Google Express is much smaller than via Walmart itself.

Also, I bought the Google network 3 pack when it went on sale for $235 (+35 of store credit) at Rakuten. I just installed it, and so far, I love it.

Side note: Youtube.TV + Chromecast work a lot better on the new Chromecast versus our original generation one that we still had (shock).
GORDON
Site Admin

Yay Google!

Post by GORDON »

Just upgraded the Phone on my Fi account to a Pixel 2. It'll be here in a few days.

How do you like yours? How's the battery life? My Nexus 5X battery couldn't last a full day with moderate use, even when it was new.
GORDON
Site Admin

Yay Google!

Post by GORDON »

Also, getting an estimated $100 for trading in my Nexus 5x (works, and screen isn't cracked). That doesn't suck.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Yay Google!

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: Just upgraded the Phone on my Fi account to a Pixel 2. It'll be here in a few days.

How do you like yours? How's the battery life? My Nexus 5X battery couldn't last a full day with moderate use, even when it was new.
My favorite thing might be battery life. I used it for a day, forgot to plug it in, and picked it up the next morning with dread. 60% battery still left.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Yay Google!

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: Just upgraded the Phone on my Fi account to a Pixel 2. It'll be here in a few days.

Do you have the phone yet? Also, do you have bluetooth headphones? (do you use headphones with it?)
GORDON
Site Admin

Yay Google!

Post by GORDON »

Yes, and yes. Use the BT headphones in the gym.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Yay Google!

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: Yes, and yes. Use the BT headphones in the gym.
I've ended up buying like 6 sets of random $20 BT headphones so I can just have them everywhere, and not worry about the battery.
GORDON
Site Admin

Yay Google!

Post by GORDON »

I use mine m-w-f, leave them in my gym bag, And just plug them in over the weekend.
Leisher
Site Admin

Yay Google!

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: I've ended up buying like 6 sets of random $20 BT headphones so I can just have them everywhere, and not worry about the battery.
Let us know when the inevitable day they're all dead arrives.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Yay Google!

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote:
TheCatt wrote: I've ended up buying like 6 sets of random $20 BT headphones so I can just have them everywhere, and not worry about the battery.
Let us know when the inevitable day they're all dead arrives.
I've got one set attached to me bike setup, always charging. One next to my laptop, also charging. Two at work, also charging all the time. I guess one's still in the package, and the other is in my laptop bag.
GORDON
Site Admin

Yay Google!

Post by GORDON »

In the summer I wear them when I mow.