Google/Alphabet

TheCatt
Site Admin

Yay Google!

Post by TheCatt »

Google introduced:

Pixel 3 + 3XL phones - High spec phones, starting at $799. I don't like that trend.

Google Slate - Pretty tablet, $600. With $199 optional keyboard.

Google Hub(?) - Google Home with a 7" screen. $149. I've always wanted a device like this, but bigger (10-12") to make family calendar viewing, etc, easier.

A slightly better chromecast.

I typically preorder the Pixel # each year, but so far I have not. $799 is a lot to swallow.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

Yay Google!

Post by Leisher »

Good news about Googlehub. Chromecast sucked.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Yay Google!

Post by TheCatt »

I bought the Hub. I waitlisted for the Slate. Been trying to get off my iPad forever. It's not ideal in the sense that it's a 12.3" tablet... but I really wanted a 12.3" tablet. (Not ideal for reading), but ideal for most of what I do.

For the Pixel 3: Project Fi is offering a buy 1 get 1 if you activate a new service line. Service line only has to be active for 30 days, and costs $15. Very tempting, for a $799 credit.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Yay Google!

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON
Site Admin

Yay Google!

Post by GORDON »

By the time I'm ready for a new phone in 15 months, it'll be in my acceptable price range.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
TheCatt
Site Admin

Yay Google!

Post by TheCatt »

TheCatt wrote:
For the Pixel 3: Project Fi is offering a buy 1 get 1 if you activate a new service line. Service line only has to be active for 30 days, and costs $15. Very tempting, for a $799 credit.
Pulled the trigger.

Got the phone today (well, yesterday, but was camping). The screen is pretty. OLED vs AMOLED. Seems faster/snappier. The phone dimensions are the same, but the vertical usable area is taller (5.5" screen vs 5.0" screen). Supposedly better cameras, but haven't tested. Has wireless charging, but I have no wireless charging accessories.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Yay Google!

Post by TheCatt »

Switching phones is annoys ng. Especially with all the MFA accounts. Logging back in to apps and websites.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Yay Google!

Post by TheCatt »

I also bought the 12.3" tablet/keyboard thing. I've wanted a 12" to replaced my iPad + Chromebook, so hopefully it works well. Especially since I somehow lost my Chromebook. :(
TheCatt
Site Admin

Yay Google!

Post by TheCatt »

Remindme next year that the black Friday deals we're good enough to not get the new phone deal.

This was true in 2018 + 2019, but not true in 2020 or 2021. 2022 had a very good new phone deal for Pixel 7 Pro, and very good Black Friday deal for the Pixel 7.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Yay Google!

Post by TheCatt »

Project Fi now Google Fi and open to most phones

Use this link I get $100 https://g.co/fi/r/PT32TW

Open to kciibacks
Leisher
Site Admin

Yay Google!

Post by Leisher »

Google+ is officially shutting down April 2019.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Yay Google!

Post by TheCatt »

Introduced cloud-rendered streaming games (Stadia)

Also included a wifi controller (Stadia Controller) so you can use your Chromecast, Pixel phone, slate, etc for gaming. The controller has Google Assistant + Youtube capture built in.

Will support up to 4k with 60fps + HDR + surround-sound, eventually supporting 8k

50% more GPU power than XBox X or PS4

Leisher: Since the client is in the data center, no cheating.
Leisher
Site Admin

Yay Google!

Post by Leisher »

None of that addresses how ISPs will handle the traffic.

Fuck streaming games. This is running before you can walk.
TheCatt wrote: Leisher: Since the client is in the data center, no cheating.
That is the best part.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Yay Google!

Post by TheCatt »

TheCatt
Site Admin

Yay Google!

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: None of that addresses how ISPs will handle the traffic.
They need 25Mbps. which isn't small, but not large. When I did ACO, it worked fine. Multiplayer will be a different story
GORDON
Site Admin

Yay Google!

Post by GORDON »

In my experience, even trying to game over WiFi, with another machine doing the crunching, is too much latency. Over internet won't work, especially with games requiring sub 50ms latency (LOL and FPSs).
Leisher
Site Admin

Yay Google!

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: They need 25Mbps. which isn't small, but not large.
It's more than a lot of ISPs can handle.

ISPs, like Frontier, still send out marketing material in my area offering "high speed" internet at 10MB. Windstream and others offer "high speed" satellite, which isn't a thing and should be illegal to use in marketing. Many, many, many, many people 100% sign up with these types of companies thinking it's exactly the same as some other ISP's 100MB connection. I see it every fucking day.

The market is not ready for this yet, and honestly, I don't know that the market wants it. It'll be great for certain games like LoL, Rust, WoW, Madden, Fortnite, and so on where it's a multiplayer game because it'll, in theory, eliminate cheaters and provide the developers with convenient and cost effective updating. However, it will suck for solo games and people who like to, brace yourself because this is crazy, OWN a product they have paid for. I know, I know. It's fucking insane, but that's a real thing.

This is also going to create a huge marketing clash between Steam, MS, Apple, Epic Games, Ubisoft, EA, and all the other people who have their own platforms. Not to mention the key re-sellers like GoG and Humble Bundle.

Gaming is going to have, and arguably already has, an audience fragmentation issue. Sometimes, just sometimes, too many options is a bad thing.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Yay Google!

Post by TheCatt »

I would like to use my Steam games this way.
GORDON
Site Admin

Yay Google!

Post by GORDON »

We're talking about adding noticable latency to mouse and keyboard commands, yes?
TheCatt
Site Admin

Yay Google!

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: We're talking about adding noticable latency to mouse and keyboard commands, yes?
It would depend on your network latency. When I played ACO, it was not noticeable to me.