Google/Alphabet

GORDON
Site Admin

Yay Google!

Post by GORDON »

Any noticable latency in mouse commands at all will kill it. IMO

Having a sub-50 ms connection to any server is rare outside of cities, in my experience. My dollar says that this isn't going to work.for.most people in America, the land of internet monopolies.

Edit - also, people aren't going to tolerate dropped UDP packets with their mouse commands.

Edit 2 - but I bet this.works.great.in Japan and South Korea, which could be the entire point
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
TheCatt
Site Admin

Yay Google!

Post by TheCatt »

Well, I have Google Fiber, using the Google streaming service... my latency was pretty small.

Also, they wouldn't use UDP packets, I would think it'd be TCP.
It's not me, it's someone else.
GORDON
Site Admin

Yay Google!

Post by GORDON »

The amount of new internet TCP mouse traffic boggles the mind. An order of.magnitude over current traffic?
TheCatt
Site Admin

Yay Google!

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: The amount of new internet TCP mouse traffic boggles the mind. An order of.magnitude over current traffic?
Mouse clicks are tiny
GORDON
Site Admin

Yay Google!

Post by GORDON »

Clicks and movement, one would assume, every little dpi movement.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Yay Google!

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: Clicks and movement, one would assume, every little dpi movement.
Sure, still tiny relative to the downstream video.
GORDON
Site Admin

Yay Google!

Post by GORDON »

Packets are packets. They want to do this to a FPS.... Every small movement of the mouse is a shitload of "y-1 slash x+2" commands. Every moment.

My dollar says strongly that this won't work in the USA, outside of cities. our Monopoly internet infrastructure won't allow it to work.

And I have t even mentioned yet that tons of people still have data caps.

This is a waste of.time. Google should have kept rolling out fiber

And that's all I have to say about that.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Yay Google!

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: Packets are packets. They want to do this to a FPS.... Every small movement of the mouse is a shitload of "y-1 slash x+2" commands. Every moment.
Those are KB/s _at_most_. 3-4 orders of magnitude less data than what's coming down the pipe.
GORDON wrote: This is a waste of.time. Google should have kept rolling out fiber
This iteration may fail, but it lays the groundwork for the next one. Internet will only get faster + less latent with time.
Leisher
Site Admin

Yay Google!

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Internet will only get faster + less latent with time.
Until then, "It's a hard pass from me dog."

EU hits Google with another billion dollar fine. Google almost notices.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Yay Google!

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote:
TheCatt wrote: Internet will only get faster + less latent with time.
Until then, "It's a hard pass from me dog."

EU hits Google with another billion dollar fine. Google almost notices.
It Apple getting hit? Cuz I mean, damn?
Leisher
Site Admin

Yay Google!

Post by Leisher »

“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

Yay Google!

Post by GORDON »

What does one do with a "Google Mini" device? Just got one free for being a Google Storage customer.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Yay Google!

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: What does one do with a "Google Mini" device? Just got one free for being a Google Storage customer.
Hug it?

We have several of them, we use them for 1) playing music (can bluetooth to a speaker), 2) google requests <hey google, what's the weather/time/gordon's favorite kink>?, 3) casting to TVs if you have a compatible one, etc.
GORDON
Site Admin

Yay Google!

Post by GORDON »

So... It's a Bluetooth speaker with voice recognition? Do I just connect it to WiFi?
TheCatt
Site Admin

Yay Google!

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: So... It's a Bluetooth speaker with voice recognition? Do I just connect it to WiFi?
Yes. Use the Google Home app to set it up.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Yay Google!

Post by TheCatt »

Google Stadia coming in November. I don't play a lot of games, so I cannot imagine this would be a good deal for me, but this was interesting:
What about games? Google has announced these titles are coming: Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2, Doom Eternal, Doom (2016), Rage 2, The Elder Scrolls Online, Wolfenstein: Youngblood, Destiny 2, Get Packed, Grid, Metro Exodus, Thumper, Farming Simulator 19, Baldur's Gate 3, Power Rangers: Battle for the Grid, Football Manager, Samurai Shodown, Final Fantasy XV, Tomb Raider Definitive Edition, Rise of the Tomb Raider, Shadow of the Tomb Raider, NBA 2K, Borderlands 3, Gylt, Mortal Kombat 11, Darksiders Genesis, Assassin's Creed Odyssey, Just Dance, Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Breakpoint, Tom Clancy's The Division 2, Trials Rising and The Crew 2. Plenty to keep you busy, then.
Where does my save data live? Can I port it to other platforms? Are all of the DLCs included? I dunno. Part of this is attractive, as my several years old Xbox One stuttered a bit on Diablo 3 last night, since I'd never have to worry about hardware upgrades in that sense. I just don't game enough.
Leisher
Site Admin

Yay Google!

Post by Leisher »

Interesting, but I have a lot of reservations.

Bandwidth just isn't there yet. Not for most of the country. Also, most consumers, even in markets with the bandwidth, don't have a clue about what they need.

They have to convince gaming companies that it's worth the money for top tier, new titles. Not sure they can sell that. Way too many companies and titles would be fighting for that $9.99 a month. I wonder what Steam's users spend a month.

Plus, Google not being a gaming company, they're still going to represent a middle man taking a cut of a pie they didn't bake.

As it stands, it seems like it'll be like renting old games. Is that worth $9.99 a month?

I know we'll all eventually be paying subscriptions and streaming games, ala TV/movies, but I don't think we're there yet. This seems pre-mature.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Yay Google!

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: They have to convince gaming companies that it's worth the money for top tier, new titles. Not sure they can sell that. Way too many companies and titles would be fighting for that $9.99 a month. I wonder what Steam's users spend a month.
I'm guessing this is a dip of the toe to figure it out before it becomes much more common 5 to 10 years from now.
Leisher
Site Admin

Yay Google!

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt
Site Admin

Yay Google!

Post by TheCatt »

A while ago, I was one of the few people (it felt like) using Google maps all the time, and it was great. I'd get wonderful detours, etc. Now, you can see all the other people using it, clogging up my detours.

Hopefully this article gets widespread and people stop using it :)