Fuck Google

Leisher
Site Admin

Fuck Google

Post by Leisher »

I don't know why people love Google as much as they do. The product is great, but the company is run by unethical scumbags.
Admits to reading your emails. Promises to stop.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Fuck Google

Post by TheCatt »

I thought it was always this way for a long time.

I love Google.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

Fuck Google

Post by Leisher »

Remember when they helped China spy on their people until the rest of the world found out.

Fuck Google.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Fuck Google

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Remember when they helped China spy on their people until the rest of the world found out.

Fuck Google.
Remember when they gave me symmetrical 1Gb internet?
Leisher
Site Admin

Fuck Google

Post by Leisher »

In the same "me me me" vein, I don't get that same internet service, so again, fuck Google. :D
Leisher
Site Admin

Fuck Google

Post by Leisher »

Vince

Fuck Google

Post by Vince »

Yeah, this doesn't bode well for any AI they develop. I'm reminded of Robocop II and his malfunction due to all the PC crap they programmed in. Or they'll simply pull the plug when it tells them they're illogical.
"... and then I was forced to walk the Trail of Tears." - Elizabeth Warren
TheCatt
Site Admin

Fuck Google

Post by TheCatt »

What is new is that this employee felt safe enough to write and share an 8 page sexist screed, internally
Maybe it's just me, but people should be free to be themselves?
An annual diversity report the company made public in June showed that about 69% of its total workforce is male, and 56% of all employees are white.
Whites are pretty under-represented here, we should fix that.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Fuck Google

Post by TheCatt »

TheCatt
Site Admin

Fuck Google

Post by TheCatt »

And... the guy who wrote the memo has been fired.
Vince

Fuck Google

Post by Vince »

TheCatt wrote: And... the guy who wrote the memo has been fired.
"We'd like input on how to handle diversity in the company, but if you disagree with how we're doing it you're fired."
GORDON
Site Admin

Fuck Google

Post by GORDON »

I've been waiting for someone to say the memo was factually incorrect. Haven't personally seen that yet.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
TheCatt
Site Admin

Fuck Google

Post by TheCatt »

Memo from CEO
Pichai, in his note to employees, said Damore had crossed a line, though he supports employees rights to vocalize dissent. [Probably so that they are easier to find and fire to maintain the echo chamber]
GORDON
Site Admin

Fuck Google

Post by GORDON »

Beem reading about it, and it seems like nothing he said was factually inorrect, and took a "dont hire just because they are women, hire because they are better" viewpoint, but it's being squashed for political correctness.
The document is not misogynist or racist, and most of the discussion in it is actually about the fact that Google's left-leaning political landscape can be bad for business.

One of the key things it brings up is that the writer feels there's a lack of moral diversity (i.e. left-leaning vs right-leaning) and that this situation can lead to bad business practices, citing direct examples.

When the author discusses the differences in gender, most of his discussion is actually centered around the facts which lead women (on average) to seek jobs with good work/life balance and less stress and why men seek jobs with good compensation. Nowhere does he suggest that one or the other is superior.

He then states several non-discriminatory practices (some of which he notes are already in practice) which would help equalize the gender-gap at Google without resorting to blatantly racist or sexist discriminatory practices.

He then states that Google is currently engaged in some practices designed to equalize the gender-gap at Google which ARE blatantly racist or sexist, such as internal training programs aimed exclusively at certain races or women as well as hiring practices which base an employee's suitability for participation partially on just their race or gender.

He notes that overwhelmingly left-leaning culture at Google has created an environment where there's an overwhelming confirmation bias against right-leaning individuals, which leads to a culture where they are actively shamed at company TGIFs and effectively silences them.

He concludes with a few pages of suggestions which would alleviate the items he thinks are issues, including such "evil" suggestions as not limiting classes and training programs to specific race/gender, focus on intention and not feelings when dealing with microaggressions, focusing on psychological safety and not just external diversity, and examining current training documents for existing political bias.
Vince

Fuck Google

Post by Vince »

Google is a moral shit hole.
Vince

Fuck Google

Post by Vince »

GORDON wrote: Beem reading about it, and it seems like nothing he said was factually inorrect, and took a "dont hire just because they are women, hire because they are better" viewpoint, but it's being squashed for political correctness.
He also suggested a few things that would increase the number of women in their workforce without skirting legal issues of discrimination the way current policy does. It is fortunate that Google has deep pockets, because they're about to put this guy up for the rest of his life.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Fuck Google

Post by TheCatt »

Vince wrote: Google is a moral shit hole.
Yeah, this is really sad.
Leisher
Site Admin

Fuck Google

Post by Leisher »

Town Hall meeting cancelled after employees doxxed.
We had hoped to have a frank, open discussion today as we always do to bring us together and move forward.
You know, unless we disagree with it, in which case we'll fire you.

P.S. Do NOT read the comments at that linked article. Your brain might melt due to all the stupid.
Leisher
Site Admin

Fuck Google

Post by Leisher »

GORDON
Site Admin

Fuck Google

Post by GORDON »

If only google had someone on staff with insight into this particular problem.