car things

Malcolm

car things

Post by Malcolm »

After almost five years, my car has developed it's first internal major issue: rear brakes need work. I know a dude that damn near has a mechanic king's ransom worth of equipment stuffed into his garage, as in "everything except the hydra-lift." He'll do the work but I have to procure the parts. Anyone ever bought serious automotive hardware from Autozone? There's one right by my place and it's the front runner thus far.
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
Arnold Judas Rimmer, BSC, SSC: "Better dead than smeg."
TheCatt
Site Admin

car things

Post by TheCatt »

I just use normal mechanics.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

car things

Post by Leisher »

I only buy oil, wiper blades, light bulbs, etc.

I also have a mechanic that actually trustworthy and honest, so I've never needed to learn how to fix my own car.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Malcolm

car things

Post by Malcolm »

I don't know how to fix it. Figuring what's broke is easier.
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
TheCatt
Site Admin

car things

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: I only buy oil, wiper blades, light bulbs, etc.

I also have a mechanic that actually trustworthy and honest, so I've never needed to learn how to fix my own car.
This.
Malcolm

car things

Post by Malcolm »

It's way cheaper if I bring parts to him.
Malcolm

car things

Post by Malcolm »

Parts ordered. Doesn't seem terribly difficult except that no auto stores nearby carry the fucking brake caliper I need ... at least not at anything less than extortionist rates.
Leisher wrote: I also have a mechanic that actually trustworthy and honest, so I've never needed to learn how to fix my own car.
He diagnosed the troubles. I'm just saving him the annoyance of getting the hardware. This is just some guy I know that fixes cars out of his garage.
Malcolm

car things

Post by Malcolm »

And fixed. Now to do the return on the old caliper and get $100 back. Went well. Dude's a solid mechanic. Refurbed the left rear bracket for free. Right rear brake in terms of pads and rotor were virtually gone.
Malcolm

car things

Post by Malcolm »

Oh, just for the record...

Japanese car, 4.5 years, 1 major issue

Crappy late '90s American car, 12 years, easily 12 major issues
TheCatt
Site Admin

car things

Post by TheCatt »

99 Camry... no major issues (knocks on wood)... I've been driving the same car since I joined this place.
Leisher
Site Admin

car things

Post by Leisher »

08 Dodge Avenger. Got it used at 14K miles for a very cheap price. It's now at 120K+ miles and the only issue, aside from normal wear and tear, has been the alternator.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

car things

Post by GORDON »

My F150 will be paid off in December. Had to replace the rear axle once but it isn't like I wasn't abusing it.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
TheCatt
Site Admin

car things

Post by TheCatt »

TheCatt wrote: 99 Camry... no major issues (knocks on wood)... I've been driving the same car since I joined this place.
I think 145k miles? I don't drive much any more. Like 4-5k / year