YouTube TV

As long as we recognize Lucas is washed up and most TV sucks, we'll all get along fine.
GORDON
Site Admin

YouTube TV

Post by GORDON »

GORDON wrote: So before I whined about not being able to watch TV on my second computer screen.

Then I remembered DirecTV supposedly let's me do that, so I started looking into it.

They advertise it as a feature, but it doesn't work, and apparently ATT/DirecTV doesn't care.

https://forums.att.com/t5/Watching-DIRE ... -p/5228832

I think DirecTV Now isn't going to be on the table, when I make my decision.
Holy crap, I've tried it a couple times since the night of this post, but tonight it actually worked.

When I was talkign to tech support they said they would escalate my issue and do something with "my account," but I didn't think anything would come of it.

Tonight, it just launched.

So here's a review: the streaming appears to be about 480P, you can't change it, and it's buffering every 5 minutes, or so, for about 5 seconds. So basically, compared to Youtube TV, it absolutely sucks.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
GORDON
Site Admin

YouTube TV

Post by GORDON »

So, a Roku... Does it have a remote, that can be controlled by a universal remote? Getting one later, prolly, if.walmart has one in stock.
TheCatt
Site Admin

YouTube TV

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: So, a Roku... Does it have a remote, that can be controlled by a universal remote? Getting one later, prolly, if.walmart has one in stock.
https://support.roku.com/article/212551 ... r-roku-tv-

I dont have a roku... Leisher does, maybe?

We use a Harmony companion: https://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/ ... on?crid=60
It's not me, it's someone else.
GORDON
Site Admin

YouTube TV

Post by GORDON »

Cool. Just hoping walmart has one with a LAN port. Otherwise got to go to amazon.
GORDON
Site Admin

YouTube TV

Post by GORDON »

GORDON wrote: I got an email from Spectrum.... the peeps who provide my internet... about a new thing they have where I can truly choose what channels I want, and pay for only those. I actually clicked on it to see if it was true, but it wanted me to create an account and I didn't feel like doing that at the time.

But it's something I'm going to be looking at, when it comes time to make decisions.

Hey, this is it. It googled fast. 10 channels, $22. That might work for me.

https://www.spectrum.com/choice.html
I was about to pull the trigger on this. Spec'ed it out. Chose my channels.

They want an extra $7/month for a "HD Box - Enjoy your Spectrum Choice Channels in Stunning HD" Doesn't that imply that the normal channel streaming isn't in HD? I couldn't find anything definitive on their website.

And then if I want to DVR, that's also a box and another $20/month.

And then you can only stream most channels while on your home network... no hotels. And the DVRd shows can't be accessed anywhere except where that box is.

In the end, it ended up being $65/month....

So I bought Youtube TV.
Leisher
Site Admin

YouTube TV

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: I dont have a roku... Leisher does, maybe?
I do. Not all models have a remote. Remote is nice.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

YouTube TV

Post by GORDON »

I just want to be able to use my Harmony One.

The good thing about the cable box was.... you turn it on, and then it's on. I imagine with the Roku it's going to be power on/scroll to the Youtube TV app/select/then it goes to the guide/scroll to a channel/select/ now it's on.
Leisher
Site Admin

YouTube TV

Post by Leisher »

GORDON wrote: The good thing about the cable box was.... you turn it on, and then it's on. I imagine with the Roku it's going to be power on/scroll to the Youtube TV app/select/then it goes to the guide/scroll to a channel/select/ now it's on.
Kind of, kind of not.

You can leave it on forever. It does have apps, but if you're logged into YouTubeTV just turn off your TV and when you turn it back on you'll still be logged into YouTubeTV.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

YouTube TV

Post by GORDON »

Ah, ok.

Any studies on whether or not always-on reduces product lifespan?
Leisher
Site Admin

YouTube TV

Post by Leisher »

No, but it can use up bandwidth.

I always tell my family to go back to the home screen of the Roku when they're done. This way:
1. Nothing is streaming that isn't being watched.
2. # of users isn't falsely inflated because someone forgot to log out of Hulu or Netflix on the Roku.

The Roku box is always on. It's just a matter of selecting what you're using. Same with AppleTV and Chromecast.
GORDON
Site Admin

YouTube TV

Post by GORDON »

Ahh.
TheCatt
Site Admin

YouTube TV

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Same with AppleTV and Chromecast.
Depends on the device. Chromecast can draw power directly from the TV, so if the TV is off, the Chromecast is off. Many of the stick devices work this way
Leisher
Site Admin

YouTube TV

Post by Leisher »

AppleTV does power down and stops streaming, which is nice.

My Roku is stick and does NOT stop when the TV is off. Not sure what that is about.
GORDON
Site Admin

YouTube TV

Post by GORDON »

Liking the Roku/YouTube TV combo, so far.

Just figured out that I could remove channels from the live guide, so you know I love that.

If I can figure out how to get the Roku remote to work the volume on the receiver, I might actually switch to using that remote as a primary, instead of the harmony.
Leisher
Site Admin

YouTube TV

Post by Leisher »

GORDON wrote: If I can figure out how to get the Roku remote to work the volume on the receiver, I might actually switch to using that remote as a primary, instead of the harmony.
I believe ours does that, but I can't tell you if I set that up or not.
GORDON
Site Admin

YouTube TV

Post by GORDON »

Very happy with the Roku interface... and frankly, I can't even find a power-off for it.

I like how you can add/remove apps, and put them in the order you want. That's pretty much perfect.

I will do some googling about getting the remote to do the volume on the receiver.

For a long time, the PS3 has been the "all media except TV" device. Blu rays, Netflix, Vudu, Plex, etc. Everything.

But now, Roku does all that (except the blurays), and I'm already in the same interface on which I watch TV. No switching everything over from cable box, to PS3. There's really no reason to ever use the PS3 again, aside from physical media. Total paradigm shift.
Cakedaddy

YouTube TV

Post by Cakedaddy »

If only you had listened to me 4 years ago!
TheCatt
Site Admin

YouTube TV

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON
Site Admin

YouTube TV

Post by GORDON »

Ah, youtube tv is down.

https://outage.report/us/youtube-tv

Just as I was setting up a new TV and I thought there was a hardware problem so I've been uninstalling it and reinstalling it.
Leisher
Site Admin

YouTube TV

Post by Leisher »

I'm strongly pondering dumping YouTube TV for Hulu Live.

We don't need AMC anymore as TWD is cancelled and I can always watch Preacher later on Hulu. I find myself always watching Hulu over YTTV as it is now. Plus, my wife and I are the only ones who watch it as the kids are always on regular YouTube.

I'd only miss Cobra Kai, but I could always sign up for a free month of YouTube Premium whenever season 2 hits...