YouTube TV

As long as we recognize Lucas is washed up and most TV sucks, we'll all get along fine.
TheCatt
Site Admin

YouTube TV

Post by TheCatt »

Roku and Apple TV now supported
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

YouTube TV

Post by Leisher »

Yeah, I went to Best Buy to pick up two Chromecasts tonight. Something told me to take a look online to be sure, and voila, I wasted a trip to Best Buy.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Leisher
Site Admin

YouTube TV

Post by Leisher »

Thoughts:
-Streaming on my PC means audio and video will fall out of sync. Doesn't happen through Apple TV device.
-LOVE that the Live video page shows thumbnails with actual live video.
-Hate that the DVR area has no way to organize right now. Literally, it seems to be add or remove a show and that's it. Hard to figure out what you've watched and what you haven't. This is the area that needs the most immediate attention. Hulu's isn't perfect either, but it's way better as it lists "X Unwatched" (X is the number of episodes you're behind) or "All Caught Up".
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

YouTube TV

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Streaming on my PC means audio and video will fall out of sync.
I have not had this problem?
Leisher wrote: -LOVE that the Live video page shows thumbnails with actual live video.
Yes, best feature.
Leisher wrote: Hate that the DVR area has no way to organize right now. L
Hmm. I DVR so little it hasn't been a problem, never more than 2 shows in my DVR :) But, it's the newest service. Provide feedback, they may actually use it.
Leisher
Site Admin

YouTube TV

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: I have not had this problem?
I mean, I'm gaming at the same time...
TheCatt wrote: Hmm. I DVR so little it hasn't been a problem, never more than 2 shows in my DVR But, it's the newest service. Provide feedback, they may actually use it.
I just punched in all the shows I watch to be recorded. There's about 8 shows, including sports teams which is awesome, and then a couple the wife and I watch together. I will give feedback. I'd been contemplating it.
TheCatt
Site Admin

YouTube TV

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: I mean, I'm gaming at the same time...
Ah. I just run it on a deice (phone, tablet) while I do things on computer, or I do just that on the computer (or easy stuff like development)
GORDON
Site Admin

YouTube TV

Post by GORDON »

Leisher wrote: Thoughts:
-Streaming on my PC means audio and video will fall out of sync. Doesn't happen through Apple TV device.
What is the interface you use between PC and audio/video device to "stream?"

What audio and video devices are you using?

Serious questions. May be doing these soon.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
TheCatt
Site Admin

YouTube TV

Post by TheCatt »

So you can stream directly to a browser. You can then cast from the browser to the TV (I use a Chromecast). There are native apps for various devices. I can cast from my phone or tablet as well to the TV, or watch on those.
GORDON
Site Admin

YouTube TV

Post by GORDON »

Stop.

You run a program on a PC, app on a phone or tablet? And receive TV content over the internet in a browser?
TheCatt
Site Admin

YouTube TV

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: Stop.

You run a program on a PC, app on a phone or tablet? And receive TV content over the internet in a browser?
Yes, kinda. IT's apps on the phone/tablet.
GORDON
Site Admin

YouTube TV

Post by GORDON »

So you run an HDMI from the device, to the TV... or to the A/V receiver?

And it's "Youtube TV" because you go to Youtube tv on the PC or phone to get the content?
Leisher
Site Admin

YouTube TV

Post by Leisher »

You can use your PC, tablet, or phone to view content and cast it to your TV if you like.

However, what you will normally do is either have a smart TV with the required app or a device (Apple TV, Roku, Fire Stick, Chromecast, etc.) that has the app. That device plugs into your TV via HDMI cable, and then uses a wireless connection to your home network to get content.

I have two TVs with Chromecast, one I'm about to put a Roku device on, and Apple TV on my office TV.
GORDON
Site Admin

YouTube TV

Post by GORDON »

Leisher wrote: You can use your PC, tablet, or phone to view content and cast it to your TV if you like.
You say "cast it." That just means output to TV, right?
GORDON
Site Admin

YouTube TV

Post by GORDON »

Leisher wrote: However, what you will normally do is either have a smart TV with the required app or a device (Apple TV, Roku, Fire Stick, Chromecast, etc.) that has the app. That device plugs into your TV via HDMI cable, and then uses a wireless connection to your home network to get content.
So if I already have an Amazon Firestick, I would just need to update it to get the Youtube TV app, then I am ready to go?
Leisher
Site Admin

YouTube TV

Post by Leisher »

GORDON wrote: You say "cast it." That just means output to TV, right?
Basically, but you're going satellite to phone to TV. It's not ideal if you want to stream perfectly, but absolutely can be done.
GORDON wrote: So if I already have an Amazon Firestick, I would just need to update it to get the Youtube TV app, then I am ready to go?
I want to say no. I guess Amazon and Google are feuding. A quick Google search shows Google tried to disable the YouTube app (not YouTube TV) on the Fire Stick. No Fire Stick.

So grab one of the others and you're golden. Or go with Hulu. Check that big FB post I did recently. You might find them to be better because you don't need the additional simultaneous streams. Their downfall for me was that, plus the lack of AMC.
TheCatt
Site Admin

YouTube TV

Post by TheCatt »

We used Youtube.tv to watch the Super Bowl. Nice, since it let us pause/rewind, etc. Only problem is that it seemed to be about 15 seconds behind reality
Leisher
Site Admin

YouTube TV

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: We used Youtube.tv to watch the Super Bowl.
Ditto. Perfect picture.
TheCatt
Site Admin

YouTube TV

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote:
TheCatt wrote: We used Youtube.tv to watch the Super Bowl.
Ditto. Perfect picture.
Yes, I had no artifacting or other issues.
TheCatt
Site Admin

YouTube TV

Post by TheCatt »

Today they added: TBS, Tru, HLN, Adult Swim (was that always its own thing?), Cartoon Network, TCM, CNN, and TNT. Nice.
Leisher
Site Admin

YouTube TV

Post by Leisher »

Very nice!

I was just thinking about switching to Hulu because I believe they added AMC and the organization of their DVR is so much better than YouTube TV's right now.

This will get me to stick around.