Amazon

TheCatt
Site Admin

Amazon

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: I had over $300 in my Amazon account thanks to gift cards and whatnot.

I just looked and my balance is just over $100.

My wife is a thief.

Lol

My wife and I have separate accounts
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

Amazon

Post by Leisher »

We all know retail is in trouble, but can it be saved? (Hint: No)

Online has the convenience factor that retail can't match. The biggest problem with online shopping? You don't know what you're getting and it might suck. That means having to return it and the pain in the ass of doing so.

Guess what? Kohl's will take it as a return. Kohl's sees this as a way to get more people into their store. Plus, it puts them in an alliance with the biggest dog in the yard.

I think this is pretty brilliant.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Leisher
Site Admin

Amazon

Post by Leisher »

“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Leisher
Site Admin

Amazon

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt
Site Admin

Amazon

Post by TheCatt »

TheCatt
Site Admin

Amazon

Post by TheCatt »

Amazon announces a bunch of semi-random products

The best?
Another new Alexa feature uses AI to mimic celebrity voices. For 99 cents, users can select the voice of a celebrity such as actor Samuel L. Jackson to tell them the weather, set alarms and play music. The feature is set to roll out later this year.
Vince

Amazon

Post by Vince »

TheCatt wrote: Amazon announces a bunch of semi-random products

The best?
Another new Alexa feature uses AI to mimic celebrity voices. For 99 cents, users can select the voice of a celebrity such as actor Samuel L. Jackson to tell them the weather, set alarms and play music. The feature is set to roll out later this year.
If it's not talking about the MFing weather, I'd want my money back.
"... and then I was forced to walk the Trail of Tears." - Elizabeth Warren
TheCatt
Site Admin

Amazon

Post by TheCatt »

Vince wrote: If it's not talking about the MFing weather, I'd want my money back.
alexa, even as SLJ, probably isn't allowed to curse...
Vince

Amazon

Post by Vince »

Kind of defeats the purpose for me on that particular voice.
"... and then I was forced to walk the Trail of Tears." - Elizabeth Warren
Cakedaddy

Amazon

Post by Cakedaddy »

You get Captial One SLJ, not Pulp Fiction SLJ.
Leisher
Site Admin

Amazon

Post by Leisher »

I am legit considering attending the Amazon AWS conference.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Amazon

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: I am legit considering attending the Amazon AWS conference.
I'll be there! Thib might be there, but I think he passed last year.

Trying to get my wife to join me...
Leisher
Site Admin

Amazon

Post by Leisher »

I'm going to discuss it with my boss Tuesday.

As discussed elsewhere, we have data that management does not want in the cloud under any circumstances. However, I've also got a bunch of sales folks who improperly store files, so they're not backed up, and who want access to their stuff without connecting to the VPN. I'm wondering if we could do a hybrid where we still keep confidential stuff behind our firewall, but allow the sales staff access to cloud drives for their stuff.

Would Amazon's services prevent me from doing backups on our stuff in their cloud? I realize it'd be redundant to whatever backups they're doing, but it isn't about that. It would be more for document control.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Amazon

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Would Amazon's services prevent me from doing backups on our stuff in their cloud? I realize it'd be redundant to whatever backups they're doing, but it isn't about that. It would be more for document control.
I don't do IT type of stuff, but there's no reason you shouldn't do backups of stuff, even if it's in the cloud. Clouds lose data, too. Most of that can be mitigated with cross-location replication or whatever they call it.
Leisher wrote: However, I've also got a bunch of sales folks who improperly store files, so they're not backed up, and who want access to their stuff without connecting to the VPN.
DropBox with Selective Sync (so they can control how much stuff to have on their machine at a given time) would work really well for that, imho.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Amazon

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: I'm wondering if we could do a hybrid where we still keep confidential stuff behind our firewall, but allow the sales staff access to cloud drives for their stuff.
I would guess the answer is yes, but I don't know what the implementation would be.
Leisher
Site Admin

Amazon

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: DropBox with Selective Sync (so they can control how much stuff to have on their machine at a given time) would work really well for that, imho.
I don't like Dropbox. I did, but then I had a user get hit with ransomware and it crossed into his Dropbox account. That was a big red flag for me. Just seems like they should have protections in place, and they clearly do not.
TheCatt wrote: I would guess the answer is yes, but I don't know what the implementation would be.
Yeah, the question was more what's going on in my head. I know it can be done, just wondering if it'll all be worth it once all is said and done.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Amazon

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: know it can be done, just wondering if it'll all be worth it once all is said and done.
Certainly worth 4 days in Vegas to find out
TheCatt
Site Admin

Amazon

Post by TheCatt »

Writer thinks Bezos will break up the company himself.
Atlantic writer Franklin Foer, who recently wrote a cover story on Jeff Bezos and Amazon, said he thinks the CEO will spin off Amazon Web Services before regulators attempt to break up the company in light of antitrust accusations.
Foer said people close to Bezos said spinning off AWS “would be the obvious thing for him to do in the face of this.”
Amazon Web Services represented 52% of Amazon’s operating income in the second quarter of 2019.
It would make sense for AWS to be its own company. Wonder what Amazon would do without all that income though.
GORDON
Site Admin

Amazon

Post by GORDON »

$40 off a yer of Prime for active duty and veterans.

https://www.military.com/discounts/amaz ... y-discount
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
TheCatt
Site Admin

Amazon

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: $40 off a yer of Prime for active duty and veterans.

https://www.military.com/discounts/amaz ... y-discount
Discrimination.