Amazon

TheCatt
Site Admin

Amazon

Post by TheCatt »

Well, this is interesting. The LG is smart enough that it just does all the apps: Amazon, Netflix, Plex, Youtube.TV, etc. Barely need a device.
It's not me, it's someone else.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Amazon

Post by TheCatt »

Latest rumor on Amazon HQ2: Raleigh, Austin, and one of the DC area bids are the final 3.
Leisher
Site Admin

Amazon

Post by Leisher »

I predict Austin wins.

Raleigh's edge has to be international shipping, but the taxes and laws in that state can't be doing them favors.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Amazon

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: I predict Austin wins.

Raleigh's edge has to be international shipping, but the taxes and laws in that state can't be doing them favors.
Our taxes are not high. We're pretty business friendly right now. Our major advantage,I would think, is cheap land (and associated low property taxes). Secondary advantages: east coast, lots of tech people in the area, and area small enough Amazon could heavily influence it, etc.
Leisher
Site Admin

Amazon

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote:
Leisher wrote: I predict Austin wins.

Our taxes are not high. We're pretty business friendly right now. Our major advantage,I would think, is cheap land (and associated low property taxes). Secondary advantages: east coast, lots of tech people in the area, and area small enough Amazon could heavily influence it, etc.
Interesting. There's an exodus of businesses and people moving from NC to SC, and I always hear taxes cited as the reason why.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Amazon

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: There's an exodus of businesses and people moving from NC to SC
SC is lower, but only marginally. Also, literally never heard of this before.
. According to the study, North Carolina, South Carolina, Florida and Arizona feature some of the highest ratios of people moving in.
From a forbes article: (few years old) https://www.forbes.com/sites/jennagoudr ... 03572f3982

Very recent article about NC being high in GDP growth (15th): https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/ne ... rowth.html

SC does rank higher here: https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states ... omy/growth (11th vs 15th for GDP)
Leisher
Site Admin

Amazon

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Also, literally never heard of this before.
Really? Crazy. That's all the talk in the...what is the road from Charlotte to Rock Hill?...corridor.

Lots of locals complaining about all the people from Charlotte moving down that corridor to avoid NC taxes. Now I wonder about the real reason. Crime? Tar Heel fans? :D
TheCatt
Site Admin

Amazon

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: what is the road from Charlotte to Rock Hill?...corridor.
I-85

Charlotte's growing just fine:
Charlotte Population Growth
Charlotte is currently the third fastest-growing major U.S. city. If its population growth continues, Charlotte's population is set to surge by 47% from 2010 to 2030, growing from 1.87 million to about 2.74 million in just twenty years.
http://worldpopulationreview.com/us-cit ... opulation/

I think you're hearing anecdotes that people think are data.
Troy

Amazon

Post by Troy »

Gross, why would you move from NC to SC on purpose?

Just visit Charleston, and skip the rest of it.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Amazon

Post by TheCatt »

Troy wrote: Gross, why would you move from NC to SC on purpose?

Just visit Charleston, and skip the rest of it.
Right? Ugh. Mustard on BBQ, wtf is wrong with people?
Leisher
Site Admin

Amazon

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: I think you're hearing anecdotes that people think are data.
It's probably more a bit of both. I mean, lots of companies are moving there along with a lot of people, so that IS happening. However, I think the reason why could be more urban sprawl.

Although, I swear to you I've heard the tax thing from more than one source.
TheCatt wrote: Mustard on BBQ, wtf is wrong with people?
How about people who use Mayonnaise?
Troy

Amazon

Post by Troy »

Leisher wrote:
Gross. Like mayo on french fries.

What about coleslaw on a BBQ sandwich though? I was anti for a while, but it really adds some solid texture and now i'm very pro.
Troy

Amazon

Post by Troy »

TheCatt wrote: Right? Ugh. Mustard on BBQ, wtf is wrong with people?
I actually really like most BBQ styles. Mustard and Vinegar and in between. The only ones I don't love are heavy sweet molasses ones.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Amazon

Post by TheCatt »

Troy wrote:
Leisher wrote:
Gross. Like mayo on french fries.
"Some people should die, that's just unconscious knowledge."
Leisher
Site Admin

Amazon

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt
Site Admin

Amazon

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Amazon is rich, bitch.
Should have just bought that after the recession and riden the wave.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Amazon

Post by TheCatt »

It used to be if an order was late, they'd give you a free month of Prime.

Last week, I complained and they offered me $5 credit. I said no, I wanted a free month. They gave it to me.

Today, the person offered me $4 total for two later orders. wtf? It was hurricane supplies. That person said they could not help me, and transferred me to someone else. The other person then said they would "expedite" the order.
Leisher
Site Admin

Amazon

Post by Leisher »

Cakedaddy

Amazon

Post by Cakedaddy »

"Stop Subsidies Act". Isn't raising the price of everything to cover artificially inflated wages a subsidy? Oh, wait. Do they actually think Amazon will just take a smaller profit instead of raising prices?
GORDON
Site Admin

Amazon

Post by GORDON »

People have no idea what happens when you subsidize something without price control. See: the cost of college. Also see: health care.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."