Yahoo

Leisher
Site Admin

Yahoo

Post by Leisher »

“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Malcolm

Re: Yahoo Sold

Post by Malcolm »

... why? Is it 1998 again?
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
Arnold Judas Rimmer, BSC, SSC: "Better dead than smeg."
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Why Yahoo sold.
But for one retreat exercise, everyone was asked to say what word came to mind when a company name was mentioned. They went through the list: eBay: auctions. Google: search. Intel: microprocessors. Microsoft: Windows.

Then they were asked to write down their answer for Yahoo.
Suffice it to say, that didn't go well.
Some of the missed opportunities are obvious: a failed bid to buy Facebook Inc for $1 billion in 2006. A 2002 dalliance with Google similarly came to naught. A chance to acquire YouTube came and went. Skype was snapped up by eBay Inc. And Microsoft Corp's nearly $45 billion takeover bid for all of Yahoo in 2008 was blocked by Yahoo's leadership.
Reread that last one. That has to fucking sting.

From what the article says, I'm kind of surprised they didn't die earlier.
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
Arnold Judas Rimmer, BSC, SSC: "Better dead than smeg."
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

I didn't know so much commodities trading happened on these silly unsecured IM apps.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote:I didn't know so much commodities trading happened on these silly unsecured IM apps.
Yeah, I was stunned at first, too, when I worked on a trading floor. A stunning amount happens on those chat platforms. As for unsecured, they all use SSL (or you can use an SSL gateway internally), and you can use gateways/etc, and also setup loggers to consolidate all logging of the information, etc. Cuz that's what I had to do.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Yahoo has been hiding a massive security breach.

No wonder my accounts keep asking me to change the passwords. Fuckers.
Leisher
Site Admin

Yahoo Sold

Post by Leisher »

Anyone notice the changes at Yahoo lately? If it wasn't for the handful of email accounts I still have there, I'd never go back.

Their news is a left winger's wet dream. All their front page news is just a collection of anti-Trump articles and propaganda about social issues. They barely cover actual news anywhere near the top of their page anymore. Even when they do clicking the article reveals they're just stealing links from other sites.

I don't mind seeing opinion pieces, but give me an equal amount of counterpoints.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Yahoo Sold

Post by TheCatt »

Uh, no. I haven't been to yahoo on purpose in years.
Leisher
Site Admin

Yahoo Sold

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt
Site Admin

Yahoo

Post by TheCatt »

Good thing I didnt use that crap.
GORDON
Site Admin

Yahoo

Post by GORDON »

Wasn't that about the time we discussed that Yahoo was dumping Messenger, which happened to be widely used by stock traders?
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Leisher
Site Admin

Yahoo

Post by Leisher »

If you've been on Yahoo.com even briefly lately, you're probably getting those bullshit "Your computer is infected. Please call Microsoft support." messages.

The tech people at Yahoo suck.
Leisher
Site Admin

Yahoo

Post by Leisher »

They have turned off comments to keep their readers "safe". :roll:
TheCatt
Site Admin

Yahoo

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 2:06 pm They have turned off comments to keep their readers "safe". :roll:
Admittedly, internet comments are less than worthless.
Leisher
Site Admin

Yahoo

Post by Leisher »

That may be true, but sometimes there's comedy gold in there.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Yahoo

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 3:33 pm That may be true, but sometimes there's comedy gold in there.
You should go pan for gold at the wastewater treatment facility some day :)
Leisher
Site Admin

Yahoo

Post by Leisher »

That's just a fantastic comparison.