Random vacation thoughts and happenstance.

For stuff that is general.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Well today 4 out of 5 lanes were shut down for an accident on I-75 in Atlanta when I was going through, and Troy lives in Atlanta, but I am sure that is just a coincidence and he doesn't know anything about it.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Atlanta kinda always sucks.
It's not me, it's someone else.
thibodeaux

Post by thibodeaux »

We are going to Universal Studios Monday and Tuesday. You still gonna be in town?
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

thibodeaux wrote:We are going to Universal Studios Monday and Tuesday. You still gonna be in town?
Will be on Disney property next week. I don't know if they let you leave until your week is up, or ever.
thibodeaux

Post by thibodeaux »

I say you and me ditch the wives and kids and go...do man stuff.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Tuesday is the late night Halloween party. Monday we have dinner reservations somewhere, but after....
Troy

Post by Troy »

GORDON wrote:Well today 4 out of 5 lanes were shut down for an accident on I-75 in Atlanta when I was going through, and Troy lives in Atlanta, but I am sure that is just a coincidence and he doesn't know anything about it.
Saw traffic on facebook about this. Bad crash, many lanes closed, stay the hell away from 75.

luckily my my route home is only a few thousand steps or so
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

I say you and me ditch the wives and kids and go...do man stuff.

This sounds like gay code.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Thib: don't eat at Leaky Cauldron. Food was gross, the display items in the window looked fresher than what we were served.

At Disaster! Ride: when you get herded into the big room with 3 doors, get far left. My kid was chosen to get on stage and shoot scenes with a major Hollywood actor.

Currently in line for transformers. More later.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Also butterbeer is actually pretty good. Get a frozen one, tastes like root beer float.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

GORDON wrote:Also butterbeer is actually pretty good. Get a frozen one, tastes like root beer float.
Aren't those non-alcoholic?
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
Arnold Judas Rimmer, BSC, SSC: "Better dead than smeg."
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Unless you spike it with what you filled your water bottle with.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

GORDON wrote:Unless you spike it with what you filled your water bottle with.

Thought about doing that for the Chicago trip, but Riot Fest security was the most lax I've ever seen. If you didn't bring a backpack or purse, you weren't even patted down. Between my jacket and cargo pants, I had a mini-mini-bar on me at all times.

Edited By Malcolm on 1411148564
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Twister is kind of lame. And I have never seen bill Paxton more melodramatic... Which is saying a lot.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

GORDON wrote:Twister is kind of lame. And I have never seen bill Paxton more melodramatic... Which is saying a lot.
What?
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Bill Paxton. They have a lot of actors doing original stuff related to whatever movie of theirs has an attraction here. The Terminator thing was insane because of it... Edward Furlong just as he was starting his drug meltdown.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Edward Furlong is the K-mart version of River Phoenix, including drug habits.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Today at Universal, I would say everything was worth the wait except for Twister. That was just a long wait for a lot of of lame.

My fave thing was probably the Transformers ride. It made you feel like you were in a massive city inside that big warehouse.

Wife's fave was the Mummy ride, but I hardly remember anything about it.

The Harry Potter/Gringot's ride was good. One of the little video scenes was broken when I went through, though. You could hear the actors speaking but you didn't get the video.

The Rockit roller coaster was outstanding, me and the kid loved it. We chose to blast Beastie Boys/Sabotage on our ride. It goes well.

You have to put your shit into lockers for half the rides, fortunately they are free as long as you don't go over what they estimate the ride length is.

The food we had was terrible. At the "Leaky Cauldron" in Diagon I had a "Banger" which was basically a sausage dog with fries.... it looked nothing like the display. The roll was hard and stale, the sausage was small, the kraut looked old as hell, and the fries looked like they had been under the heat lamp for 4 hours. No soft drinks. I had the "fizzy orange juice" and it was ok. The kid had pumpkin juice but didn't like it.... I had a sip, tasted like watered down fruit punch. All in all, big thumbs down for the food.

Don't do the survey on the way out, if they ask. It takes 20 minutes and they don't give you anything.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

TONS of foreigners. The ones with the darker skin tones have no concept of personal space, if they weren't all up on you when in the queues, they were slamming into you when you were walking around, butting in between our little 3 person group. I almost had to commit a hate crime when one of them carelessly slammed into my kid trying to get around us.

The white ones all had british accents. Of all the people I heard speaking, 75% of them seemed to be foreign.

Lots of Hogwarts school robes in Diagon Alley.... there was one hottie who had hers open and she had a tight belly shirt and a VERY short black skirt on. I liked her.

I also liked the Marylin Monroe they had standing around in the old Hollywood section. My kid didn't know who she was but I made him get a pic since we were the only ones there.

I didn't like the fact the most of the rides and attractions... it starts out nice and orderly with the regular queues, but then as you get into whatever the thing is, there's just a big room and a free for all and everybody jockeys for position. Most rides are like this, for some reason. It becomes a mess.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

And, as seems to be a trend with non-Disney properties, they let you pay to be a line jumper. Disney has Fast Pass, available to everyone for free, which is a reservation to ride a ride at a later time. Cedar Point in Ohio and Universal in Orlando have, basically, pay an extra hundred and you get the short line and fuck everybody else. I saw people go through the fast line 3 times in the time I was waiting for the roller coaster. It used to be line jumping was grounds for dismissal from the park... now line jumping is cool as long as you cough up a c-note first. I fucking hate that.