Hello Carolinas!

For stuff that is general.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Hello Carolinas!

Post by TheCatt »

Oooof. Well, at least enjoy the car. That was my wife's dream car when she was growing up.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

Hello Carolinas!

Post by Leisher »

My dream car too. It's really nice. Bring her down and I'll let her drive it. :D

Is it bad that I just want to go home. Between Vegas 2 weeks ago and annual meetings last week, I just want to get back on a normal schedule. This'll be my third week in a row missing golf league. I honestly think I got sick as I've been so sleep deprived.

Luckily my St. Louis trip scheduled for Monday has been pushed back to July.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Leisher
Site Admin

Hello Carolinas!

Post by Leisher »

Heading there today on a last minute business trip to deal with FINALLY getting a site to site connection or I’m interviewing to replace Frank Reich.

One of those things is true. Maybe both?

Anyway, I pulled a George Costanza as I’ve been bored af the last few trips (one notable exception that I haven’t shared yet…I will at the end.).

I booked with Delta, not American. Ditto for Avis not National. And I’m staying at the Holiday Inn instead of the Hampton.

The funny part is that NOT using our corporate rates, I got everything cheaper. Yes, corporations are fucking corporations. I know…shocking.

Going to try new restaurants this time too.

So last time, I ate at Kounter. A historical place where some civil rights sit in took place. The chicken and waffle sushi was unbelievably good.

You know what, the story I mentioned I’d tell is mine, so as Cap said, “No, I don’t think I will.” I’ll just say that it was exactly like Curly’s story in City Slickers except she a party to it. Easily the most beautiful woman I’ve ever seen in my 3 dozen trips down here.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Hello Carolinas!

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 1:20 pm Heading there today on a last minute business trip to deal with FINALLY getting a site to site connection or I’m interviewing to replace Frank Reich.
Why not both?

I'm in Vegas... keep the Carolinas together.
Leisher wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 1:20 pm You know what, the story I mentioned I’d tell is mine, so as Cap said, “No, I don’t think I will.” I’ll just say that it was exactly like Curly’s story in City Slickers except she a party to it. Easily the most beautiful woman I’ve ever seen in my 3 dozen trips down here.
You people and your ancient move references
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

Hello Carolinas!

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 4:12 pm I'm in Vegas... keep the Carolinas together.
You keep your legs together!
TheCatt wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 4:12 pm You people and your ancient move references
First of all, the classics never go out of style. It's why people still quote Shakespeare.

Secondly, it's only a matter of time before some Hollywood asshole that is completely devoid of talent remakes all of the movies we quote.

Third, I think quoting older films is the only way to reach any sort of mainstream audience anymore. The 80s and 90s were the last time in history where people still had some connection over pop culture because there weren't 100K channels and streaming services, 50K new shows a month, and 20K new movies.

Fourth, fuck you. :D
GORDON
Site Admin

Hello Carolinas!

Post by GORDON »

I was talking to my kid just the other day how there is no longer a common pop culture ("We had 3 TV stations, and 3 music genres in the local radio stations, and everybody watched Wizard of Oz the one time it aired, per year!") to help people have something in common.

It doesn't seem like we're better for it.

I'm old enough to remember that once a movie left the theater, you were probably never going to see it again. I remember "Star Wars" airing on TV for the first time, like 15 years after it came out, was a legitimate national event.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Cakedaddy

Hello Carolinas!

Post by Cakedaddy »

Leisher wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 10:17 amShakespeare
City Slickers to Shakespeare? That's quite a leap.
GORDON
Site Admin

Hello Carolinas!

Post by GORDON »

I think it's a perfect comparison. Our movies, today.... are our art. The cultural touchstones we all know. Shakespeare was writing for the masses, not the titled lords.
Leisher
Site Admin

Hello Carolinas!

Post by Leisher »

Everything Gordon said.

Also...
Cakedaddy wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 2:47 pm
Leisher wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 10:17 amShakespeare
City Slickers to Shakespeare? That's quite a leap.
Is it? Why?

Why is Shakespeare so good? Because it's old? Many older works I respect immensely, but they're shit. Even more newer works are dogshit, so this isn't a recency bias thing. Shakespeare wrote 38 plays, yet we talk about 10 of them?

I submit to you that City Slickers is a fantastic story about men, how aging affects them, how they define themselves, where they realize their value, what it means to be a man, and so on. Easily equal and superior to many other items on the subject, yet it gets less credit because it's a movie and stars Billy Crystal?

The first 5 minutes of Up is legit one of the greatest love stories ever told. Does it lose points because it's animated?

The first 5 minutes of Idiocracy might be one of the most accurate statements about how smarter humans are intentionally breeding themselves out of existence, but does it not have any weight because it's a comedy movie?

Do stories just need time before they're respected? I honestly wouldn't mind such a requirement.

FYI, The Princess Bride is a better story than anything Shakespeare ever did. Fight me.
GORDON
Site Admin

Hello Carolinas!

Post by GORDON »

Hamlet 2 was legit.
Cakedaddy

Hello Carolinas!

Post by Cakedaddy »

Leisher wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 3:17 pmIs it? Why?
Because it's City Slickers. I seriously doubt City Slickers will be taught in class rooms 400 years from now!

I haven't seen UP.

Other movies you mention are good.

There are lots of movies that could make the cut, but CS ain't one of 'em.

This could a fun topic. "What movies will be taught in classrooms 400 years from now?"

I would answer "Most of John Hughes' movies". Modern day Shakespeare, I think.
Leisher
Site Admin

Hello Carolinas!

Post by Leisher »

Your answer is rooted in an obvious hatred and jealousy towards Billy Crystal, and therefore, invalid. CS is based more in reality and the actual human condition than any John Hughes film.

That being said, Breakfast Club is the clear choice from the Hughes library.
Cakedaddy

Hello Carolinas!

Post by Cakedaddy »

Leisher wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 11:14 am obvious hatred and jealousy towards Billy Crystal
I liked him on SNL, with Christopher Guest. But I can't think of many movies I've enjoyed. He's kind of like Saget. Saget was a VERY FUN GUY. Just not when it was scripted.

Leisher wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 11:14 am Breakfast Club is the clear choice from the Hughes library
I went right to that for my pick too. But then there's Planes Trains and Automobiles. Uncle Buck. Mr. Mom.
Leisher
Site Admin

Hello Carolinas!

Post by Leisher »

Cakedaddy wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 4:06 pm I liked him on SNL, with Christopher Guest. But I can't think of many movies I've enjoyed. He's kind of like Saget. Saget was a VERY FUN GUY. Just not when it was scripted.
City Slickers. The Princess Bride. Monsters Inc. Monsters University. When Harry Met Sally. Analyze This. Running Scared.
Cakedaddy wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 4:06 pm But then there's Planes Trains and Automobiles. Uncle Buck. Mr. Mom.
Good movies. Classic lines and scenes, but I would argue are missing (or not as solid) the "human condition" story line that CS, TPB, and WHMS contain. That is what makes them stand out to me.

You're right, this would be a good discussion.

Also, considering there is a "The Films of Keanu Reeves" class at USC or UCLA, I think it's fair to say classic cinema will definitely get some level of "the Shakespeare treatment".
Cakedaddy

Hello Carolinas!

Post by Cakedaddy »

TPB and Monsters Inc I liked. Especially Monsters. Not saying I liked Monsters better than TPB. He just had a MUCH bigger part. I don't consider TPB a Billy Crystal movie. I haven't seen Analyze This or Running Scared.
Leisher
Site Admin

Hello Carolinas!

Post by Leisher »

Cakedaddy wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 5:02 pm I haven't seen Analyze This or Running Scared.
Good movies. The sequel to AT sucks though.