"... and then I was forced to walk the Trail of Tears." - Elizabeth Warren
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

I know you guys would. If you all were.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Cakedaddy

Post by Cakedaddy »

$1106 to post your stupid thoughts! LOL!! What a looser!!!!
Paul

Post by Paul »

TheCatt wrote:So my wife read about North Korea's attempts to build an EMP weapon to attack the US with. She now thinks we should have a cache of weapons, etc in case civilization falls apart.

Assuming she's serious... what would be good reliable gun(s) and ammo we should have?

According to Rust, I need a full auto, but I'm guessing that's hard to get. Handgun + Rifle?
Nations rise and nations fall. It would be arrogant to think that the United States will be an exception. I just hope it will be later rather than sooner.
Civilization as we know it is a lot more fragile than people realize.

North Korea probably lacks the resources to EMP all of North America but let's say that Putin decided that he wanted to help them out so he can be the big boy on the block. We'd be screwed.

No cell phones, no credit cards, no cash registers, no access to your bank account. I hear cars will probably work work (the metal acts like a Faraday cage) but it could be awhile before we had electricity so the pumps at the gas station wouldn't work.

Best case scenario, everyone bans together until we can rebuild our infrastructure.

Worst case scenario, the US government crumbles, the US dollar becomes worthless, there is mass rioting and looting.
People loot and burn cities when they don't like a jury verdict. What will they do when they haven't eaten in a couple days, the cops are busy (and can't communicate), and there are no electronics (TV, Internet, computers, Xbox, etc.) to keep them occupied?

Buy more ammo than you think you'll need. Properly stored it won't go bad in your lifetime and you can always sell it.
If the dollar fails (or becomes inaccessible) we'll be on the barter system and ammo will always be a sought after commodity.

Will this happen in our lifetime? Probably not.
I think the US will fade out until it becomes just another country. But if the shit hits the fan a little preparation could be invaluable for you and those you care about.

As for full auto, the cons far outweigh the pros.
They aren't as accurate and they burn through a lot of ammunition.
Paul

Post by Paul »

Cakedaddy wrote:This is really cheap.

http://shop.tropgun.com/servlet....omotion

More AR15 choices:
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ProductListing.aspx?catid=7777

I kinda like the $648.95 American tactical with the conversion.
You can shoot the standard AR15 (.223/5.56 NATO) rounds and 22LR.

Edited By Paul on 1408242333
Vince

Post by Vince »

Bought a Barnett Jackal crossbow. Will be at my dad's this weekend for the last weekend of bow season to hunt with it. Sighted it in out back at my house. Made the mistake of letting the wife fire it, and now she wants one. She found a smaller Barnett Recruit with less pull so she can cock it with her little stick arms.

She doesn't know if she'll ever be able to shoot a deer. She was the official "spotter" up in the tree with me last year when I got the small buck that went in the freezer. She cried. But after the first meal, she got over the idea that she couldn't eat it. Now she's to the point that she can at least watch a deer being taken down in a hunting show, and she couldn't even do that before. But she's confident she'd be able to pull the trigger on a turkey, so we'll go for that this Spring with her.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Vince wrote:She doesn't know if she'll ever be able to shoot a deer. She was the official "spotter" up in the tree with me last year when I got the small buck that went in the freezer. She cried.
I could never kill for sport but I'll choke out a fucking deer with my bare hands if it means having a meal, or not.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Vince

Post by Vince »

I killed for freezer food. I don't know if it's considered killing for sport if you go for the bigger buck that would make a nicer mounted rack instead of the younger more tender tasting deer. I'd eat the bigger one. Wouldn't enjoy it as much, but I'd eat it.
Vince

WHAT ARE YOUR PREPPER PLANS

Post by Vince »

Been freeze drying foods. Wife and I will snack on some of the fruit we freeze dry and put up the rest. All freeze dried stuff has the texture of Styrofoam if not reconstituted, but that's the norm and you get used to that. I'm kind of amazed at they varying degrees of taste of fruit between the freeze dried and natural states. Just took out a batch of blueberries. Not a huge amount of flavor to them. Strawberries are pretty good. Watermelon is actually so sweet once you remove the water you almost can't eat much. It's amazing how the vast amount of water really tones it down.
Malcolm

WHAT ARE YOUR PREPPER PLANS

Post by Malcolm »

Used to use watermelon to ice distill my own flavoured vodka. Could turn swill into "mix-worthy."
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
Arnold Judas Rimmer, BSC, SSC: "Better dead than smeg."