Quotes I like

For stuff that is general.
GORDON
Site Admin

Quotes I like

Post by GORDON »

"Everyday most of us wake up to read about the fresh horrors on our fresh horror device."

Supports my "disconnect from the news" philosophy of the last decade(s).
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
TheCatt
Site Admin

Quotes I like

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: "Everyday most of us wake up to read about the fresh horrors on our fresh horror device."

I really don't share that person's world view.
It's not me, it's someone else.
GORDON
Site Admin

Quotes I like

Post by GORDON »

Lots of peeps have been pretty needlessly pessimistic since 2016, IMO.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Quotes I like

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: "Everyday most of us wake up to read about the fresh horrors on our fresh horror device."

I’ve been pondering this here at the beach. (Lots of time to ponder since we can’t go in to the restaurants, etc). And, I’ve always felt that people should be up on the news and what’s going on in the world. I’ve always subscribed to at least 1 newspaper, and news magazines back when those existed. But so much Internet “news” is just plain shit. CNN.com, FoxNews.com, etc. And, if I really think about it, whatever stupid thing Trump does barely impacts my real day to day life. I’ve known this all for a while, but only now am I really pondering a news diet. I would still read papers, but focus on the financial news, less commentary and skip the Fox News/CNN/Reddit news. It feels weird, but at the same time, it feels like that news just exists to try to provoke me, rather than educate me.
GORDON
Site Admin

Quotes I like

Post by GORDON »

When you have zero power to change anything, why let it bring negativity into your sphere? Just be happy with your family.
Leisher
Site Admin

Quotes I like

Post by Leisher »

Yep.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Quotes I like

Post by TheCatt »

Well, skipping cnn.com, foxnews, and abcnews.com wasn’t too hard. We’ll see how it goes when work days get boring. Still get lots of news just from FB, and Leisher’s posts :)

Apparently the Trump million-ticket festival turned into about 6,000 people, and he told the administration to test less for the virus. #winning
TheCatt
Site Admin

Quotes I like

Post by TheCatt »

TheCatt wrote: Well, skipping cnn.com, foxnews, and abcnews.com wasn’t too hard. We’ll see how it goes when work days get boring. Still get lots of news just from FB, and Leisher’s posts :)

Apparently the Trump million-ticket festival turned into about 6,000 people, and he told the administration to test less for the virus. #winning
Ahahahahhahaa... he got trolled by Kpop fans + tik tok users. They had to scratch Pence + Trump addressing the "overflow" crowd because only a few dozen people showed up. hahahahahhahahahhaHAHAHAHAhahahahaha.

I needed that.
Leisher
Site Admin

Quotes I like

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Leisher’s posts
I find stuff interesting and post it in case we want to discuss. Helps me get through the news daily.
TheCatt wrote: Apparently the Trump million-ticket festival turned into about 6,000 people
Left wing Twitter blew up with this over the weekend. All glad handing each other and laughing their asses off.

It was funny, but it immediately made me wonder a few things:
1. Just imagine for a moment if Rs did this to a Biden rally. The headlines would be all about how Rs are trying to suppress voters, "Sabotage of rally continues to prove Trump and his supporters are bullies", and "How low will Trump stoop to win?" and so on.
2. Were the turnout numbers real? I saw lots of "look at this empty place" videos on the Twitters early on, but saw comments like "Why don't you wait until the rally actually starts?" (And upon further viewing, they were correct, the rally had not started.) Later in the evening stuff was coming out with the stands more packed than that video indicated, but still not full. There were also reports that protesters were intentionally blocking entrances, and that was even reported by left wing folks. Finally, I did see pictures of a pretty large crowd outside. (And honestly, what does this say about my trust of either party and/or the MSM?)
3. Does stuff like this just energize Trump's voters? "They're trying to suppress our vote!"
4. Does stuff like this turn off people in the middle? Trump could shit out gold, cure cancer, and achieve world peace and I still wouldn't vote for him, and while I laughed, I also thought, "The side who claims to be about freedom sure does go to a lot of trouble to quiet all dissenting voices."
5. On that note, I think a really smart play by Biden would be to come out and condemn what happened. He could do it in a way of "Ok, we had our fun, but we cannot be the party that squashes freedom of speech". I think it'd win him points with the middle.
6. Does stuff like this make left voters complacent? "No way is Trump winning, so if I don't make it to the polls, no worries. #BidenLandslide2020" (That's a real tag that gets used on Twitter a lot.)
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Quotes I like

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: find stuff interesting and post it in case we want to discuss. Helps me get through the news daily.
I'm not attacking you.
Leisher wrote: Were the turnout numbers real?
Yes, they were reported by the fire marshall (< 6,200 for 19,000 seat venue). But that didn't include people in private boxes, or people who work for the administration/campaign.
Leisher wrote: 1. Just imagine for a moment if Rs did this to a Biden rally.
No one is suppressing anything. The "tickets" do nothing. They are first-come, first-serve, GA tickets. The only thing that happened is the Republicans built an overflow area, and no one showed up.
Leisher wrote: Biden would be to come out and condemn what happened.
A lot of the people who did this aren't even American.
Leisher wrote: Does stuff like this make left voters complacent?
Feels too early for that.
Leisher
Site Admin

Quotes I like

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: I'm not attacking you.
I know. Just explaining my philosophy for posting.
TheCatt wrote: Yes, they were reported by the fire marshall (< 6,200 for 19,000 seat venue). But that didn't include people in private boxes, or people who work for the administration/campaign.
There have been reports of large gatherings outside the venue as well. I wonder where those numbers put everything?
TheCatt wrote: No one is suppressing anything.
Wasn't my point.
TheCatt wrote: A lot of the people who did this aren't even American.
Fucking Russian bots! :D Apparently, international interference in anything election related is only a problem when it helps Trump?
TheCatt wrote: Feels too early for that.
Maybe. I've heard a lot of left wing folks I know talking very confidently.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Quotes I like

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: There have been reports of large gatherings outside the venue as well. I wonder where those numbers put everything?
There was literally a hundred people... almost.
Leisher wrote: Apparently, international interference in anything election related is only a problem when it helps Trump?
It's ok when allies like Korea interefere.
Leisher wrote: I've heard a lot of left wing folks I know talking very confidently.
I wouldn't be that confident, unless the vote were today. Even then...
Leisher
Site Admin

Quotes I like

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: There was literally a hundred people... almost.
Not based on the photos I've seen, but they could have been taken pre-rally?
TheCatt wrote: It's ok when allies like Korea interefere.
But it's really not.

Again, I'm fine with the prank, I just think it sets a bad precedent.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Quotes I like

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote:
Not based on the photos I've seen, but they could have been taken pre-rally?
Yes, pre-rally from what I've seen + read. There were "a few dozens" of people outside once the rally started.
Leisher wrote: Again, I'm fine with the prank, I just think it sets a bad precedent.
Maybe the administration should, I dunno, vet people who sign up to attend to verify that they are real?
Leisher
Site Admin

Quotes I like

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Maybe the administration should, I dunno, vet people who sign up to attend to verify that they are real?
Have they bothered vetting people who actually work IN the administration?
TheCatt
Site Admin

Quotes I like

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote:
TheCatt wrote: Maybe the administration should, I dunno, vet people who sign up to attend to verify that they are real?
Have they bothered vetting people who actually work IN the administration?
Srsly.
GORDON
Site Admin

Quotes I like

Post by GORDON »

"Claiming cultural appropriation is a way for Progressives to behave like segregationists."
TheCatt
Site Admin

Quotes I like

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: "Claiming cultural appropriation is a way for Progressives to behave like segregationists."
Right? Someone reposted someone complaining about white people using "spirit animal" and I countered that it was just fine. As far as I am concerned, as long as there is no intent to denigrate the original cultural by whatever action is being taken, it's fine.
Leisher
Site Admin

Quotes I like

Post by Leisher »

The second I hear "cultural appropriation" come out of someone's mouth, I know they're an idiot. Just because something is popular with a specific group doesn't mean they invented it.

Primary example: Remember the white kid with dreads at some college in the Northwest who was verbally and physically assaulted by a black girl screaming he was culturally appropriating something from her people? Guess what you dumb twat? Black people didn't invent dreads or cornrows (despite the Wiki for cornrows falsely stating that). Asians, Nordics, and Greeks all used both hair styles and two of those had zero contact with black people.

They can also stop with the "black people invented rock & roll" bullshit. Guess who invented the guitar? Euros. Good luck inventing rock and roll without its primary instrument!

But yeah, if you see idiots talking about cultural appropriation, ask them to stop using English to make their point. Delete their Facebook account. Return their computer to the store. They'll have to walk, of course. Then they can stop enjoying the privileges of modern society because whitey did all that.

The whole cultural appropriation argument is based in complete ignorance and selfishness.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Quotes I like

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: ask them to stop using English to make their point.
That's how I felt about the Native American, but then I'M the insensitive one. "I didn't want to speak English, but your ancestors forced it on us"
Leisher wrote: Delete their Facebook account. Return their computer to the store. They'll have to walk, of course. Then they can stop enjoying the privileges of modern society because whitey did all that.
Srsly.