Peaceful Protesting 2020

For stuff that is general.
Leisher
Site Admin

Minneapolis Burning

Post by Leisher »

This was part of my joke in the racism thread when I said I haven't seen any random pallets of bricks in my neighborhood.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Minneapolis Burning

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: This was part of my joke in the racism thread when I said I haven't seen any random pallets of bricks in my neighborhood.
Gotcha, I hadn't read up on bricks yet.
It's not me, it's someone else.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Minneapolis Burning

Post by TheCatt »

Barr clarifies that he did NOT say "Go do it" to clear the protesters out for the Bible photo op, he merely said "Get it done."
“I’m not involved in giving tactical commands like that,” Barr told the Associated Press. “I was frustrated and I was also worried that as the crowd grew, it was going to be harder and harder to do. So my attitude was get it done, but I didn’t say, ‘Go do it.’ ”

The Washington Post reported Tuesday that Barr personally ordered the crowd of protesters be pushed back as part of a plan hatched far earlier in the day. According to a Justice Department official, law enforcement authorities, including Barr, had decided to extend the security perimeter outside the White House after earlier demonstrations over the death of George Floyd at police hands in Minneapolis turned violent. When Barr came to the scene Monday afternoon, the official said, he was “surprised” to see that hadn’t been done.

“He conferred with them to check on the status and basically said: ‘This needs to be done. Get it done,’ ” the Justice Department official said. The official added that Barr “assumed that any resistance from the protesters of being moved would be met with typical crowd-control measures.”

The following day, White House press secretary Kayleigh McEnany confirmed that account, noting that Barr “said that we needed to get going with moving that perimeter. He told the officers that out there.” McEnany did not immediately respond to an email Friday night.

At his own news conference Thursday, Barr said he had decided to extend the perimeter early Monday morning, and later, around 2 p.m., met with law enforcement agencies to lay out a plan for doing so. He said that officials could not get units in place soon enough to execute the plan before demonstrators arrived, but he did not address what happened in the minutes before police made their move.
Leisher
Site Admin

Minneapolis Burning

Post by Leisher »

Apparently Minneapolis' City Council is going forward with disbanding the police department. The mayor is not on board. They're going to do it by cutting off funding.

Should be interesting to see how this plays out.

Do they end up with a "hug police" and crime runs rampant?
Is this all a huge political ploy where they "eliminate" the police, but really just bring the police back with new uniforms, new leaders, and it's all the same shit?
Does Minneapolis become a police state with cameras everywhere, ala London?
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Minneapolis Burning

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Is this all a huge political ploy where they "eliminate" the police, but really just bring the police back with new uniforms, new leaders, and it's all the same shit?
Camden, NJ is often cited as an example. They removed their police department, but really just replaced it with the Camden County police department, instead of the city. But they did change their policing tactics to be less confrontational/militaristic, etc. Crime has dropped decently since 2012, but the 2012 #s were terrible.
Leisher
Site Admin

Minneapolis Burning

Post by Leisher »

I'm all in favor of the demilitarization of police and better training, but the elimination of police is folly.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Minneapolis Burning

Post by TheCatt »

Police slashed a bunch of tires in Minneapolis, because... ? No, really, because??? They didn't respond.
Leisher
Site Admin

Minneapolis Burning

Post by Leisher »

Either they were just being dicks assuming the cars belonged to protesters or that's a legit tactic to disable vehicles behind their lines.

I don't discount the former, but I genuinely assume it's the later. I'll ask a cop later today.

This might be relevant:
https://youtu.be/7XFsLT-JqOo
Leisher
Site Admin

Minneapolis Burning

Post by Leisher »

Dems are pushing a bill to introduce federal regulations on police actions.

Written by Booker, Harris, and the Black Congressional Caucus it's expected to be opposed by Republicans. Why?
CNN - Because Rs are racist!
Fox - Because it was written during a break and nobody asked Rs to join in to help write it.

What's his face did comment on it and say they'd probably reject it, but would be willing to sit down and rewrite it together.
thibodeaux

Minneapolis Burning

Post by thibodeaux »

I just wonder if people are serious with their calls to "abolish the police." Isn't the obvious rejoinder here: "who's going to protect you from the KKK?"

BTW, not that there's any point in arguing with people over this asinine idea that cops murder blacks out of systemic racism...if you feel like it, try this out:

98% of people killed by cops are men (insanely disproportionate, since men are 50% of the population). Given that the sexes are equal IN EVERY WAY, the only possible reason for this disparity is systemic sexism.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Minneapolis Burning

Post by TheCatt »

thibodeaux wrote: 98% of people killed by cops are men (insanely disproportionate, since men are 50% of the population). Given that the sexes are equal IN EVERY WAY, the only possible reason for this disparity is systemic sexism.
And they only commit 74% of the crimes.
thibodeaux

Minneapolis Burning

Post by thibodeaux »

Yeah so clearly it’s systemic institutional sexism.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Minneapolis Burning

Post by TheCatt »

Policeman charged with a crime against recent protesters? Broward County FoP want you. I mean, they can't actually hire you or anything, but...

"Atlanta 6" refers to the six Atlanta police officers who were booked, five on felony charges, after being accused of using excessive force on two black college students who were leaving a protest in their car. In a video recording of the incident, the officers are seen breaking the vehicle's windows, pulling the female student out of the car and tasing the male student.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Minneapolis Burning

Post by TheCatt »

But in comments to Florida Today, Brevard County F.O.P. President Bert Gamin claimed responsibility for the post regarding the Buffalo and Atlanta police officers and defended them.
"The police had the legal authority in both cases," Gamin said in an email to Florida Today. "At the time the warnings were provided, the citizens were already breaking the law. Those citizens chose to disregard the warnings. It led directly to escalations and confrontations with the police. When we issue lawful commands/warnings, citizens have a responsibility to comply. The reality is failure to comply leads to escalation."
GORDON
Site Admin

Minneapolis Burning

Post by GORDON »

Completely fucked.

Also, Brevard County, Florida is a shithole of crime.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Leisher
Site Admin

Minneapolis Burning

Post by Leisher »

thibodeaux wrote: 98% of people killed by cops are men (insanely disproportionate, since men are 50% of the population). Given that the sexes are equal IN EVERY WAY, the only possible reason for this disparity is systemic sexism.
Ha!
GORDON wrote: Brevard County, Florida is a shithole of crime.
True story.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Minneapolis Burning

Post by TheCatt »

Is it? I thought Broward county was? Or maybe I was just associating them with Two Live Crew.
GORDON
Site Admin

Minneapolis Burning

Post by GORDON »

Now I may be mixing them up. Not sure.
thibodeaux

Minneapolis Burning

Post by thibodeaux »

Broward is Miami. Brevard is further north (Titusville, Port Canaveral, Melbourne).

Broward is therefore DEFINITELY a shithole of crime. Brevard might be as well but it much less glamorous.
GORDON
Site Admin

Minneapolis Burning

Post by GORDON »

Then I indeed meant Brevard. Lots of meth/opioid related crime.

"Hey look, there's 35 cents in the center console of that car. Time to break the window and get it."

"Hey look, the house across the street just hung up a new garden hose. I bet I can sell that for a dollar."

I have peeps there.