Post-Corona Economy

For stuff that is general.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by TheCatt »

I know, I read about it on FB. But that's just one plant, the number of stories where a significant # of the employees had it is numerous.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Cakedaddy

Post-Corona Economy

Post by Cakedaddy »

Finally got an "Approved!" email today. Had to jump through some extra hoops due to not filing a couple of state forms for a couple of years. My business was not "in good standing". So, I had to file (2) past documents at $25 each. Had to file a 'get back in good standing' document for $50 dollars. Looking at past documents, it took up to 45 days for them to be processed and stamped. I can't wait that long! But look! For $100, I can request 24 hour processing service. $100 per document. Had to pay an extra $300 to make sure they got done quickly, cause I figure I don't have time to wait. Was kind of pissed at both myself for not filing like I'm supposed to, and for being out $350 extra dollars. Done correctly, I'd be in good standing for $50 instead of $400. 4 hour service was $200 each, 2 hours was $400, over the phone right now, $1000 each. I went with the 24 hour at $100.

About 45 minutes after submitting all docs and payments, I got emails from the state putting me back in good standing. I felt like I got the $3000 service for $300. I was telling my wife about all of this and said "So, I guess I'm happy(?) about this?" Kind of ended up more as a question than a statement. In the end, I felt raped, but I also feel like they took the time to be gentle, used lube.

About an hour after forwarding the docs to the bank, I got the "You're approved!" email. They will be sending docs for me to sign, and then I'll get funding. No idea if I'm getting the whole amount I asked for yet or not.
Cakedaddy

Post-Corona Economy

Post by Cakedaddy »

On the other topic, one of my techs who didn't want to expose himself, and then his family to the virus and was refusing work at the beginning of all this, gave me his two weeks notice on Tuesday because he starts a new job on Monday.

Getting a ton of pressure from customers who want us back out there (while they dispatch us from their home office). Just not feeling comfortable going out, but, probably will. Because of customer service. Everyone wants to make their nut, at other people's expense.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by Leisher »

Cakedaddy wrote: On the other topic, one of my techs who didn't want to expose himself, and then his family to the virus and was refusing work at the beginning of all this, gave me his two weeks notice on Tuesday because he starts a new job on Monday.
And thanks to bullshit laws you can't relate that story to anyone who calls about his employment.
Cakedaddy wrote: Getting a ton of pressure from customers who want us back out there (while they dispatch us from their home office). Just not feeling comfortable going out, but, probably will. Because of customer service. Everyone wants to make their nut, at other people's expense.
Yep. This is my first week back in the office decided by someone who won't leave their compound in Virginia. I truly don't blame him in the slightest, but those who are demanding their folks work should do so from the same place they're telling their people to go.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: This is my first week back in the office
Boooooo.

I honestly have no idea when/if I'm going back to the office.
Troy

Post-Corona Economy

Post by Troy »

TheCatt wrote: Had a weird dream that the Chinese were taking advantage of the disorder in the US to launch missiles at us. I was near Asheville, NC, and had to explain to someone that Boone was pronounced "Boon" not "Boon-ee" cuz they were from Yankeeland.

I was then in charge of trying to deploy some of our counter-missile stuff, and the web interface was HORRIBLE. It kept being like "select these missiles to counter" and then you'd have to click each one individually, and if you clicked anything the least bit wrong, the entire process would restart, etc. Oh, and I wasn't marred in the dream, and my girlfriend was pregnant.
Fuck that sounds awesome. I love those, especially when they don’t immediately fade upon waking up. Like look over at your wife and think: “who are you and why am I in bed, I have to save America!”
Troy

Post-Corona Economy

Post by Troy »

Cakedaddy wrote: Finally got an "Approved!" email today.
NIce! Also lol that the government fucked you over one more time before granting the funds.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by TheCatt »

Troy wrote:
TheCatt wrote: Had a weird dream that the Chinese were taking advantage of the disorder in the US to launch missiles at us. I was near Asheville, NC, and had to explain to someone that Boone was pronounced "Boon" not "Boon-ee" cuz they were from Yankeeland.

I was then in charge of trying to deploy some of our counter-missile stuff, and the web interface was HORRIBLE. It kept being like "select these missiles to counter" and then you'd have to click each one individually, and if you clicked anything the least bit wrong, the entire process would restart, etc. Oh, and I wasn't marred in the dream, and my girlfriend was pregnant.
Fuck that sounds awesome. I love those, especially when they don’t immediately fade upon waking up. Like look over at your wife and think: “who are you and why am I in bed, I have to save America!”
Yeah, it was a serious other world. Took me several moments to get back to reality.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by TheCatt »

Good news for those seeking PPP loans
Nearly two weeks after the government relaunched its small business aid program, more than 40% of the money is still available.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by TheCatt »

20.5M jobs lost in April, 14.7% unemployment.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by Leisher »

Eh, I really don't know if I'm totally against this.

I've known FAR too many people who scammed the unemployment process during normal times for me to get too riled up now. I feel badly for those truly scared, but I suspect the majority are trying to collect that bigger check (Thanks Bernie!) and/or simply don't want to work.

Maybe they could ask these folks to file, and prove, a specific hardship? Like "my mother has CF" or "I have asthma" or "I have been diagnosed with the fear of germs" or whatever.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Cakedaddy

Post-Corona Economy

Post by Cakedaddy »

Much like weed prescriptions, I have 'whatever' cards will be issued with little trouble.

This is something I'm actually losing sleep over now. Getting STRONG pressure from customers to get my techs back out there. I don't want to be out there, can I ask them to be? This all comes down to people, who don't have to work in the field, wanting to still get paid. We do a lot of work for fast food restaurants. We install/maintain their menu boards (TVs). 3 locations have monitors that are broken. They want them fixed. So, the menu boards, inside of a restaurant that is supposed to be closed to inside traffic, has 1 out of 5 screens that is not working. They can easily be (and will be after we 'fix' them because they just want the broken one removed and the remaining 4 to be re-centered/mounted) reconfigured to show all content on 4 screens. They want this taken care of now, so people can issue invoices. What other reason could there be to push for these to be taken care of RIGHT NOW? People working from home trying to continue making money. . .

I'm trying to justify dispatching by telling myself "At least the store is closed, limiting foot traffic and exposure".
Leisher
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by Leisher »

You honestly need to start getting people out there working again.

There is really no end in sight for this virus, and the longer you waiting the more you risk losing business.

You can work safely and extremely lower the risk of infection. You need to give folks masks, rubber gloves if necessary, tell them to maintain social distancing, wash their hands, etc.

If you have people willing to work, put them to work.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by TheCatt »

Man, that's a super tough decision. On the one hand, you want to make sure you don't lose out work to other companies for future work, I assume? On the other hand, don't really want to sacrifice your health, potentially. :\
thibodeaux

Post-Corona Economy

Post by thibodeaux »

Leisher wrote:
There is really no end in sight for this virus.
This is what I'm wondering. How does this end? We all stay at home until...when? There's a vaccine?

The whole point of "lockdown" was to "flatten the curve" so that hospitals didn't get overwhelmed. Well, congrats we did that. The Navy hospital ships and the temporary hospitals didn't even get used.
Cakedaddy

Post-Corona Economy

Post by Cakedaddy »

I'm waiting for treatment. Something with a higher survivability rate. I feel like it will always be around. But being able to treat it is the difference for me.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by TheCatt »

The base is around 30% including delivery, etc according to my friends who own restaurants. The other stuff was marketing/promotional stuff that owner opted into.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by Leisher »

30% is fucking stupid and they want a tip on top of it.

I've shopped for dinner on a Grubhub site (I believe it was a competitor to them) vs the actual restaurant's site. They markup every fucking item on the menu.