Post-Corona Economy

For stuff that is general.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by TheCatt »

To be fair, if you need unemployment you have made terrible life choices and are scum.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: To be fair, if you need unemployment you have made terrible life choices and are scum.
You're either making a point or a joke?
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Leisher
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by Leisher »

“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote:
TheCatt wrote: To be fair, if you need unemployment you have made terrible life choices and are scum.
You're either making a point or a joke?
a bad joke... what Republicans tend to think.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by GORDON »

Tell us more about what republicans think, grampa!

Just my general response to generalizations.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Leisher
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by Leisher »

Gordon wins this round.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by TheCatt »

At its June meeting, the median Fed estimate for GDP this year was a decline of 6.5%. Central bankers expect growth to improve to 5% in 2021 and 3.5% in 2022. Those projections also anticipated rates holding steady through 2022.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by GORDON »

I am expressing doubt.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by GORDON »

Although... if the democrat wins the election.... the news is going to be a hell of a lot more upbeat about the economic forecasts. Then we'll go back to the Obama days of "quarter results unexpectedly lower."
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by TheCatt »

Gross domestic product from April to June plunged 32.9%, according to the Commerce Department’s first reading on the data released Thursday. Economists surveyed by Dow Jones had been looking for a drop of 34.7%.

Still, it was the worst drop ever, with the closest previously coming in mid-1921.

Sharp contractions in personal consumption, exports, inventories, investment and spending by state and local governments all converged to bring down GDP, which is the combined tally of all goods and services produced during the period.

Spending slid in health care and goods such as clothing and footwear. Inventory investment drops were led by motor vehicle dealers, while equipment spending and new family housing took hits when it came to investment.

Prices for domestic purchases, a key inflation indicator, fell 1.5% for the period, compared to a 1.4% increase in the first quarter when GDP fell 5%, The personal consumption expenditures price index dropped 1.9% after rising a tepid 1.3% in Q1. Excluding food and energy, the “core” PCE prices were off 1.1%.

However, personal income soared, thanks in large part to government transfer payments associated with the coronavorus pandemic. Current-dollar personal income rose more than six-fold to $1.39 trillion, while disposable personal income shot up 42.1% to $1.53 trillion.

Despite the rise, personal outlays tumbled by $1.57 trillion, due in large part to a drop in services spending.

Not the Great Depression nor the Great Recession nor any of the more than three dozen economic slumps over the past two centuries have ever caused such a sharp drain over so short a period of time.

By comparison, the worst quarter during the financial crisis of 2008 was the 8.4% GDP drop in the fourth quarter of that year. The previous low-water mark was a 10% slide in the first quarter of 1958, while the worst in recorded history came in Q2 of 1921.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by TheCatt »

This may as well go here.

Decided to refi. 2.875% with $800 credit + $500 credit towards $3,400 closing costs (so net of $2,300) for 30 years.

Rates may still go lower in light of how poorly this recovery's going, but that was enough to save us enough to make it work it, closing costs will be paid off < 1.5 years.

Last time I had to do a full appraisal, etc. This time she just said "I put in this #, which got us under the LTV to increase the $$ credit back, so everything's good"

*edit* - Semi-related, apparently we were feeling poor when we bought this house, and had a $500 insurance deductible. We raised it to $2,500 and it dropped our monthly home insurance by $80/month. Friendly reminder to check your insurance coverage/deductibles/etc if you haven't lately.
thibodeaux

Post-Corona Economy

Post by thibodeaux »

Yea we just pulled the trigger on a refi as well. I forget the numbers but sounds similar to yours.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by GORDON »

My refi was 4ish months ago. Better rate than that. :-D
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: My refi was 4ish months ago. Better rate than that. :-D
Being a veteran helps a lot, apparently.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by GORDON »

I thank me for my service.
Cakedaddy

Post-Corona Economy

Post by Cakedaddy »

Just placed an ad for an open position. Lets see if the expiration of the $600 affects the response I have. The ad I ran in early June, I got about 10% of the responses I normally do.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by TheCatt »

Cakedaddy wrote: Just placed an ad for an open position. Lets see if the expiration of the $600 affects the response I have. The ad I ran in early June, I got about 10% of the responses I normally do.
Good luck.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by TheCatt »

TheCatt wrote: Looks like I'm getting funded.
Your Paycheck Protection Program loan has been approved
Your loan has been approved and funds will be deposited within 1-2 business days into the account you noted on your application.

Hopefully I end up getting paid and can just give this back.
So my “banker” (some random dude from the banker, who told me he was my banker) called and said they were piloting a forgiveness program if I wanted to try it out.

Me: Oh, I was wondering about the payback options, too.

Him: Uh, we only have the forgiveness pilot right now.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by TheCatt »

TheCatt wrote:
TheCatt wrote: AMZN, AAPL, TSLA, MSFT are taking over. Stocks have been falling past few days, but NASDAQ has hit consecutive new highs.
AMZN stock has nearly doubled since virus lows, and market cap hit $1.5T as stock went over $3,000/share today.

AAPL up 66% since virus lows, market cap of $1.6T

MSFT only up 55%, market cap of $1.59T

TSLA up 365% since virus lows, the baby of the group at $244B of market cap.
Another month later, and AAPL + AMZN just announced blow out earnings for Q2 2020.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by Leisher »

Saw a recent study/article that said 39% of all jobs (don't remember if that was domestic or international) can now be done from home. That's got to be good for tech stocks.