Post-Corona Economy

For stuff that is general.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by TheCatt »

I really like the big comfy chair ones that recline. Still can't match that screen size and audio at home.
It's not me, it's someone else.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by GORDON »

My media room is just as good as a theater. Better, IMO. WHen designing it I brought out a tape measure so I knew EXACTLY, to the inch, how far the screen would be from eyeballs, how far the surround speakers would be from earballs. Levels set exactly. Perfect acoustics. No rattling things when it gets loud. Custom woodwork with matte finish as to not unduly reflect TV light, in a dark room. Electronics off to the side and away from your sightline, so the little LCDs don't distract. I had to purchase a few extended-length cords, to make that work.

What I like about the movies is that it's a day out with my kid, before he's 18 and gone. We've always liked dinner and movie days.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by TheCatt »

Traffic is coming back :(
Leisher
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by Leisher »

GORDON wrote: What I like about the movies is that it's a day out with my kid, before he's 18 and gone. We've always liked dinner and movie days.
You could just go outside and have a game of catch... :D
TheCatt wrote: Traffic is coming back
You've been inside too long. Traffic has been back.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: You've been inside too long. Traffic has been back.
I get out a few times a week. And daytime traffic has been back, but the rushhour is coming back here. It's not as bad yet, but getting there.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by GORDON »

Leisher wrote: You've been inside too long. Traffic has been back.
School traffic isn't! My kid's school is in, but toledo public is not. Extremely noticeable difference.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: My kid's school is in, but toledo public is not. Extremely noticeable difference.
I bet.

Honestly, this pandemic's just taught me that life is better without all the bullshit.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote:
GORDON wrote: My kid's school is in, but toledo public is not. Extremely noticeable difference.
I bet.

Honestly, this pandemic's just taught me that life is better without all the bullshit 75% of all other people.
Fixed!
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Fixed!
Are they phone cleaners?
Leisher
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by Leisher »

My secret nerd shame is I don't have any recollection of ever sitting down to read that book. I own it. Multiple copies in fact. I know things from it. I remember reading it in moments, but put all together? Not sure.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: My secret nerd shame is I don't have any recollection of ever sitting down to read that book. I own it. Multiple copies in fact. I know things from it. I remember reading it in moments, but put all together? Not sure.
The first one is the best. 2nd and 3rd have their moments, but aren't as strong. And the 4th, well... skip it. Same for #5.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by GORDON »

I read it because a hot nerd girl in high school (I was 11th grade, she was 12th) was reading it, and I wanted an "in" to strike up a conversation.

And I did.

And I got a date to the dance with her.

And I had absolutely no social skills to ensure a second date.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: (I was 1th grade, she was 12th)
Perv. Or does that make her the perv? But, good job reading in 1th grade.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by GORDON »

Oops.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: Oops.
So, did you like the book?
GORDON
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by GORDON »

Yes. Read.that paperback, years later.bought a hardback anthology.

My kid's also read it a couple times.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by TheCatt »

TheCatt wrote:
GORDON wrote:
The real fun is going to begin in July and August when the businesses that are using the PPP funds run out and start failing left and right. Just from the book of businesses that I recently got assigned I'd say probably 25% of them are going to fail by fall and maybe 30% by winter. Some of the updated business plans I've been seeing are basically impossible for small companies to hit. Like, they're going to need to see the absolute best earnings they've ever had to stay open once the runway of funds they were injected with is out. And most cities aren't opened up fully. I've been saying that come the end of summer everything will be fully open whether there's a threat or not because a few hundred thousand more deaths is going to cost less than 20+% unemployment, and it's looking like I'm gonna be correct.

It's going to be pretty ugly.
The economy gained 2.5 M jobs in May. Which seems odd. PPP got relaxed to be more usable. I dunno.

!RmindMe 8/31/2020
The current unemployment rate is 7.9%. That is not stellar. Everything isn't open, but it's way more open than March/April, obviously.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by TheCatt »

TheCatt wrote:
TheCatt wrote: Another month later, and AAPL + AMZN just announced blow out earnings for Q2 2020.
AAPL hit $2 Trillion market cap today.
Went up, went down, still $2T 3 months later. AMZN at $1.6T, and both announcing earnings today.

AMZN: (Stock up about 1% after-hours) beat big.
Earnings: $12.37 vs $7.41 per share expected, according to analysts surveyed by Refinitiv
Revenue: $96.15 billion vs $92.7 billion expected, according to analysts surveyed by Refinitiv
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by TheCatt »

FB (-4%) + TWTR (-10%) also reported today - Both are down. GOOG reported, and is up 4%. #s are volatile since context comes after the #s.

Facebook reported a decline in US + Canadian users, maybe there's hope after all.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by TheCatt »

The U.S. economy grew at a record pace in the third quarter—increasing 7.4% over the prior quarter and at a 33.1% annual rate—recovering about two-thirds of the ground it lost earlier in the coronavirus pandemic.
So we're still pretty far behind.