Coronavirus

For stuff that is general.
GORDON
Site Admin

Coronavirus

Post by GORDON »

According to this, Sweden front-loaded all their deaths, new infection rates are dropping fast, and their economy wasn't hit half as hard as surrounding countries. Article still comes off as kinda negative, though, even though the numbers make it look like a success.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-53498133
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
TheCatt
Site Admin

Coronavirus

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: and their economy wasn't hit half as hard as surrounding countries.
Your reading comprehension...
Despite this, various forecasts predict the Swedish economy will still shrink by about 5% this year. That's less than other countries hit hard by Covid-19 such as Italy, Spain and the UK, but still similar to the rest of Scandinavia. Sweden's unemployment rate of 9% remains the highest in the Nordics, up from 7.1% in March.
So it's basically doing the same as its peers. But, with more death.

I would argue, knowing what we know now, that shutdowns were the right move, for ~6-8 weeks to get control, let more testing capacity develop, etc with gradual re-opening. Sweden would have done better death-wise since so much was front loaded, there and everywhere. I would argue NC should be a little more open that it is. Our gyms are still closed. I would open them at partial capacity, etc. I certainly don't want to get the virus, but it's not terrible enough to shut down everything again.
It's not me, it's someone else.
GORDON
Site Admin

Coronavirus

Post by GORDON »

Perils of skimming..
GORDON
Site Admin

Coronavirus

Post by GORDON »

But fuck it, probably only 28% accurate, anyway.
Leisher
Site Admin

Coronavirus

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Russia claims to have a vaccine.
Scientists are skeptical.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Coronavirus

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher
Site Admin

Coronavirus

Post by Leisher »

C-19 among children is up 90% since school has started for some.

My daughter's cheerleading team was just told last night that practice is cancelled for the next two weeks as someone on the team just tested positive. School doesn't start for another few weeks...

Dr. Sonjay Gupta not sending his kids back to school.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

Coronavirus

Post by GORDON »

My kid's private school just went 100% virtual, tied to the county's "threat" level.
Leisher
Site Admin

Coronavirus

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt
Site Admin

Coronavirus

Post by TheCatt »

Must be nice to live in a country where you have so many tests that you can test food imports.
GORDON
Site Admin

Coronavirus

Post by GORDON »

Maybe the COVID was just feeling homesick.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Coronavirus

Post by TheCatt »

Boris Johnson's latest strategy to fight coronavirus aims to make Britain healthier -- but campaigners are worried about the impact the policy will have on people living with eating disorders.

Johnson's government launched its Better Health strategy in an effort to combat the country's high obesity levels amid the pandemic.
Britain has one of the highest rates of obesity worldwide, with nearly one in three adults classed as obese, according to the Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD).
In England, 11,117 hospital admissions were attributed to obesity in the year 2018-2019. That data is particularly worrying for officials in light of the pandemic.
Being obese or heavily overweight increases the risk of death from Covid-19, according to Public Health England. The UK government believes 63% of adults are above what would be considered a healthy weight.
Seriously? 2/3rds of your people are fat, but lets worry about the 2% with anorexia or bulimia?
Leisher
Site Admin

Coronavirus

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Seriously? 2/3rds of your people are fat, but lets worry about the 2% with anorexia or bulimia?
I saw that article today and had the same thought. This is our problem as a species right now. We're catering and governing to the minority and fringes of society rather than the majority.
GORDON
Site Admin

Coronavirus

Post by GORDON »

Like when we change all bathrooms to make trans people comfy? Except that's like .02%.
Leisher
Site Admin

Coronavirus

Post by Leisher »

Yeppers.

I want the world to be safe for all, but accommodating everyone's individual desires is not possible.
GORDON
Site Admin

Coronavirus

Post by GORDON »

Sneezing contests at Sturgis... but at least schools are closed.

https://www.insider.com/sturgis-motorcy ... ars-2020-8

This is why these partial numbers aren't going to work, and the damage caused isn't worth it. Unless you shoot the doorknob lickers in the street, aint no virus spread being mitigated. We're doing the economic and social harm with zero results. Next week those 100k spit swappers are going to be returning to your neighborhood, refusing to wear masks.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Coronavirus

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: aint no virus spread being mitigated.
That is not true.
GORDON
Site Admin

Coronavirus

Post by GORDON »

ur not true.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Coronavirus

Post by TheCatt »

Sorry, Gordon, doorknob licker apparently lost.
Leisher
Site Admin

Coronavirus

Post by Leisher »

I liked doorknob licker, but rat licker definitely has that historical credibility.