Coronavirus

For stuff that is general.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Coronavirus

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: Hmmm. With no other info, that doesn't sound good.
Apparently immunity just hasn't happened yet, and it's taking longer than they expected, but there aren't a lot of details available easily.
It's not me, it's someone else.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Coronavirus

Post by TheCatt »

7:02 a.m. ET — Sweden’s chief epidemiologist, who advocated a no-lockdown strategy to combat the coronavirus crisis, conceded that more should have been done to tackle the epidemic.

“Yes, I think we could have done better in what we did in Sweden, clearly,” Anders Tegnell, state epidemiologist at Sweden’s Public Health Agency, told Swedish radio, according to a Reuters report.

“If we were to run into the same disease, knowing exactly what we know about it today, I think we would end up doing something in between what Sweden did and what the rest of the world has done,” he said.

Unlike most of Europe, Sweden decided against implementing a full lockdown of businesses and schools when the coronavirus began to spread in Europe in March, opting instead for softer, largely voluntary measures. —Holly Ellyatt
Leisher
Site Admin

Coronavirus

Post by Leisher »

Oops.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Cakedaddy

Coronavirus

Post by Cakedaddy »

Thank you Sweden. At least now we know.
GORDON
Site Admin

Coronavirus

Post by GORDON »

Well at least we locked everything down for three months before we gathered to riot, possibly undoing all the progress.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Leisher
Site Admin

Coronavirus

Post by Leisher »

GORDON wrote: Well at least we locked everything down for three months before we gathered to riot, possibly undoing all the progress.
Oh don't be ridiculous...

Shit.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Coronavirus

Post by TheCatt »

America seems to have successfully prevented a second wave of corona

By keeping the first one going
TheCatt
Site Admin

Coronavirus

Post by TheCatt »

May have been present in China in the October.
Using techniques similar to those employed by intelligence agencies, the research team behind the study analyzed commercial satellite imagery and "observed a dramatic increase in hospital traffic outside five major Wuhan hospitals beginning late summer and early fall 2019," according to Dr. John Brownstein, the Harvard Medical professor who led the research.

Brownstein, an ABC News contributor, said the traffic increase also "coincided with" elevated queries on a Chinese internet search for "certain symptoms that would later be determined as closely associated with the novel coronavirus."

Though Brownstein acknowledged the evidence is circumstantial, he said the study makes for an important new data point in the mystery of COVID-19's origins.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Coronavirus

Post by TheCatt »

Some good news.
Good news: A new study finds that the novel coronavirus has become less lethal over the past few months. While there’s no evidence that mutations are making the virus less deadly, treatments have improved enormously as scientists have learned more.

Doctors have observed that the coronavirus case-fatality rate seems to have decreased considerably since the early days of the pandemic. But a pre-publication study from Italian universities and local public-health authorities comparing the case-fatality rates in two provinces (Ferrara and Pescara) during March and April is the first to show this might be true.

After adjusting for age and comorbidities, the study found the overall death rate declined by some 40% from March to April with huge reductions in those over age 80 (from 36.3% to 16.1%), and subjects with hypertension (23% to 12.1%), diabetes (30.3% to 8.4%), cardiovascular disease (31.5% to 12.1%), COPD (29.7% to 11.4%) and renal disease (32.3% to 11.5%).

The study’s findings need to be confirmed by more studies of fatality rates over time in other places. But the researchers note that the decline in death rates is unlikely to be due to less crowded hospitals since infection rates were low in the two provinces and never exceeded the intensive care unit capacity. Hospital utilization could confound results in other hot spots.

They say their study confirms anecdotes from expert physicians that “the early administration of more tailored medications, is considerably improving the clinical course of COVID-19.” Doctors are using a cocktail of targeted therapies including repurposed HIV antivirals, anticoagulants and monoclonal antibodies like tocilizumab that lower inflammatory cytokine attacks on organs.

A European Journal of Internal Medicine study last month found that two of 62 patients receiving tocilizumab died compared to 11 of 23 in a group with similar characteristics. Randomized clinical trials are needed to draw solid conclusions about the efficacy of drug treatments, but they usually take months. So doctors have been experimenting and learning on the fly.

We now know, for instance, that deaths among severely ill patients often result from an overreactive immune response known as “cytokine storms” as well as systemic blood clots. The Food and Drug Administration this week approved a new blood test by Roche that measures levels of the inflammatory-causing protein interleukin-6 and can help predict patients at risk for cytokine storms. Using drugs to break up blood clots and calm down the immune system earlier can prevent severe cases from turning deadly.

Doctors have also observed that some patients with fatally low oxygen levels aren’t gasping for air or losing consciousness and their symptoms resemble altitude sickness—dizziness, nausea and headaches—more than pneumonia or acute respiratory distress. As a result they are using less intensive ventilation such as nasal cannulas and sleep-apnea machines.

Mechanical ventilators can cause long-term brain and respiratory damage as well as secondary infections. A study in the Journal of the American Medical Association has found that a shockingly high 80% of those between ages 18 and 65 who were placed on ventilators in New York City died while just 2.4% were discharged alive during the study period. More targeted therapeutics can reduce the need for ventilators.

The FDA last month approved Gilead’s antiviral remdesivir for emergency use after a phase-one trial found that the drug reduced recovery times in hospitalized patients on average to 11 days compared to 15 days for those in a control group. Remdesivir stops the virus from replicating, so it may be even more beneficial if administered earlier in the illness.

The treatment learning curve has been as steep as the infection curve. But even if there’s a second Covid-19 wave, it is likely to be less deadly than the first.
Leisher
Site Admin

Coronavirus

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt
Site Admin

Coronavirus

Post by TheCatt »

Engineered is an interesting term. There was something I read about a week ago, where the lab in Wuhan, and a lab at UNC-Chapel Hill (Go Heels) were working with coronaviruses in general, for research, and part of that did involve mutating the virus. One risk listed (to be fair, they have to risk every risk possible) was improved attachment to humans and escaping the lab.

But, maybe it was really just that same paper through another channel.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Coronavirus

Post by TheCatt »

TheCatt
Site Admin

Coronavirus

Post by TheCatt »

thibodeaux

Coronavirus

Post by thibodeaux »

The continued state of don’t nobody know nothin Abkut this virus is kind of disappointing. Do our medicos really know anything at all? They seem pretty good at setting bones and sewing up gunshot wounds. But when it comes to understanding diseases, I am starting to wonder if we aren’t much removed from the four humours.
GORDON
Site Admin

Coronavirus

Post by GORDON »

I kind of stopped paying attention when the conventional wisdom become, simultaneously, "Look at the testing numbers! This is serious!" And, "The tests are wildly inaccurate and frequently give the wrong results."

I never saw the doom and gloom pictures of people dying in hospital parking lots because of overflow.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Coronavirus

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: I never saw the doom and gloom pictures of people dying in hospital parking lots because of overflow.
I showed you what was happening in NYC and Detroit.... but I guess you've already forgotten/ignored it.
GORDON
Site Admin

Coronavirus

Post by GORDON »

Yeah I guess it really happened but no one had a camera on them that day.
GORDON
Site Admin

Coronavirus

Post by GORDON »

Well I do remember seeing a refrigerated semi trailer with like 4 body bags in it.
Leisher
Site Admin

Coronavirus

Post by Leisher »

I saw pictures of bodies piled up in sleep study chambers because the morgue in Detroit was full. Pretty sure that link is in this thread somewhere.

Cases spiking in 22 cases thanks to protesting.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Coronavirus

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: I saw pictures of bodies piled up in sleep study chambers because the morgue in Detroit was full. Pretty sure that link is in this thread somewhere.

Cases spiking in 22 cases thanks to protesting.
When we mentioned stuff like that, Gordon said he didn't want to hear it.