Coronavirus

Post by TheCatt »

Alright, Gordon, is it serious yet?
It's not me, it's someone else.
GORDON
Site Admin

Coronavirus

Post by GORDON »

Still doesn't feel like it. CNN won't hesitate to show us overflowing hospitals and horrors, in an election year. Aint nothing to show, yet.

But don't call me out. People get angry at me if I'm not really scared.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
TheCatt
Site Admin

Coronavirus

Post by TheCatt »

thibodeaux wrote: Inflection point??? Number of new cases on 3/24 < 3/23!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_coro ... es_by_date

This would be a very encouraging trend if it continues.
So... our testing effort are poor due to lack of tests or equipment, but... the #s are still going up
Leisher
Site Admin

Coronavirus

Post by Leisher »

GORDON wrote:People get angry at me if I'm not really scared.
*eye roll emoji*

Thank goodness it's still March. April only has room for one martyr.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

Coronavirus

Post by GORDON »

Am I in a different thread? I'm not predicting the worst case scenario, and people are treating me like some combination of asshole, and idiot, and I think some are taking it personally.

So I'd prefer to just step away from the conversation, because it isn't comfortable.
thibodeaux

Coronavirus

Post by thibodeaux »

I get that tests are nice, but TBH you need to think about: "what would I do different based on test results?" Tests are not the only answer.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Coronavirus

Post by TheCatt »

thibodeaux wrote: I get that tests are nice, but TBH you need to think about: "what would I do different based on test results?" Tests are not the only answer.
Or, what would policy makers do differently with good data? That's more important. Tests let you know what's going on and what you are dealing with.
Leisher
Site Admin

Coronavirus

Post by Leisher »

GORDON wrote: Am I in a different thread? I'm not predicting the worst case scenario, and people are treating me like some combination of asshole, and idiot, and I think some are taking it personally.

So I'd prefer to just step away from the conversation, because it isn't comfortable.
I'm going to take your statement at face value, although I think there's a 50% chance you're responding to my snark to your snark with more snark and I just took the bait...and honestly, I hope that is true.

Being 1000% sincere here, at no point (in this thread :D ) have I thought you to be an asshole or idiot. Nor have I taken anything you've said personally. In fact, I haven't really argued most of your points, others have. (So I guess it's fair to say I can't speak for them, but I do speak for myself here.) You just got really upset at me with one question I asked (and one joke that even had a smiley face to indicate it was a joke) because you took it like a personal attack rather than what it was intended to do, which was get you to understand what you put at risk by ignoring the situation.

It worked too because it lead to you posting a well researched response on your position.

The comment I made this morning was me pointing out your obvious shot at people who have said anything contrary to your position on the coronavirus situation. It was clearly sarcastic because your comment implied your opinions are beyond reproach, and I know you cannot believe that.

This is a forum full of friends/peers having discussions. This isn't reddit or 4chan where folks are just trolling each other maliciously. (Now that Malcolm is gone...) I welcome dissenting viewpoints because maybe I'm wrong and I want to be educated. I don't just assume I'm always right. A large portion of the time when I post stories it's because I look forward to the discussion to see what angle I'm not seeing that one of you do. Point being, when you express an opinion publicly, shouldn't you be ready for that opinion to be criticized, contradicted, and proven wrong? And specifically here, isn't it being done by people whose opinions you respect, and vice versa? So unless someone is, literally, saying you're an idiot, why assume they are doing so?

So, imho, you're taking things a bit personally when they are not intended to be (Again, speaking for myself. Maybe Catt, Cake, or whoever is being malicious, but I highly doubt it.). If I wanted to call you an idiot or an asshole, I just would. I wouldn't beat around the bush.

I value your opinion, even when it's obviously wrong. :D
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Leisher
Site Admin

Coronavirus

Post by Leisher »

In actual coronavirus news, Michigan's governor, who has been insanely unimpressive during this outbreak is calling out Trump.

It's going to get interesting here because I'm on the roads every night (as my daughter does her driving hours and we don't stop anywhere) and there's still a ton of traffic despite the lockdown.
thibodeaux

Coronavirus

Post by thibodeaux »

TheCatt wrote:Or, what would policy makers do differently with good data? That's more important. Tests let you know what's going on and what you are dealing with.
So what would they do differently?
TheCatt
Site Admin

Coronavirus

Post by TheCatt »

thibodeaux wrote:
TheCatt wrote:Or, what would policy makers do differently with good data? That's more important. Tests let you know what's going on and what you are dealing with.
I dunno, they are the experts, not me.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Coronavirus

Post by TheCatt »

TheCatt wrote: Evangeline Lilly says fuck your quarantine.
Says, "Oooops"
Leisher
Site Admin

Coronavirus

Post by Leisher »

thibodeaux

Coronavirus

Post by thibodeaux »

TheCatt wrote:
thibodeaux wrote:
I dunno, they are the experts, not me.
Nobody is an expert on this. Also I thought the official position of this forum was that policy makers, on the whole, are retards. Or corrupt. Or corrupt retards.
Leisher
Site Admin

Coronavirus

Post by Leisher »

thibodeaux wrote: Also I thought the official position of this forum was that policy makers, on the whole, are retards. Or corrupt. Or corrupt retards.
Yes.

I think we're listening to doctors on this issue.
GORDON
Site Admin

Coronavirus

Post by GORDON »

For the record, we've (my house) been making efforts to isolate, better than most, I'd suspect. I'm not personally looking to roll 00 on the 2d10's and get my son sick, and I also don't want to get blamed when someone's meemaw dies.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Coronavirus

Post by TheCatt »

We've been self isolating for 2 weeks now. It does get a little boring.
GORDON
Site Admin

Coronavirus

Post by GORDON »

TheCatt wrote: We've been self isolating for 2 weeks now. It does get a little boring.
Bikerides and trail hikes when we've got to get out, computers and movies to pass the time.

He didn't go to Georgia for Spring Break. His mother was upset, but understood this is a bad time, so she's ok with it. I'm going to try to give her extra time this summer, if schools are closed the rest of this school year.
Leisher
Site Admin

Coronavirus

Post by Leisher »

Remember when it was said Obamacare would lead to the government deciding who got treatment and who wouldn't, IE: who dies and who doesn't?

Supply shortages are making that come true.

I'm seeing Virginia and Kansas have no joined other states in canceling school for the rest of the year. Michigan looks to be next.

Do you want to know if you have the coronavirus? There's an app for that!

CNN is worried millions of illegal immigrants won't get stimulus checks.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Coronavirus

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: CNN is worried millions of illegal immigrants won't get stimulus checks.
1) Good.

2) I was ponder what happens to illegals today cuz I drove past 2 constructions sites on my ways to a pre-lockdown trip to Lowes.
Leisher wrote: Remember when it was said Obamacare would lead to the government deciding who got treatment and who wouldn't, IE: who dies and who doesn't?

Supply shortages are making that come true.
Well, it wasn't Obamacare doing that.