Teachers

For stuff that is general.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Teachers

Post by TheCatt »

Finnish school model. The big emphasis I've always heard is about how they require kids to get outside/play more than the US model. This goes into much more detail.

One impact, of course, is the lack of student debt, which is now over $1.5T in the US.
It's not me, it's someone else.
thibodeaux

Teachers

Post by thibodeaux »

I'm gonna say it: there is no "fixing" the U.S. schools until we're able to speak AND act honestly about the 4-letter word.

In other words, never.
GORDON
Site Admin

Teachers

Post by GORDON »

is the 4-letter word you're talking about "twerk?"

no wait
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
thibodeaux

Teachers

Post by thibodeaux »

Yes
GORDON
Site Admin

Teachers

Post by GORDON »

Curse my public school education.

Race?
TheCatt
Site Admin

Teachers

Post by TheCatt »

pus-e ?
GORDON
Site Admin

Teachers

Post by GORDON »

If fewer schools are teaching cursive, what does that mean for the future of signatures? Are the kids just learning that little bit, for their name?

I know my kid's penmanship sucks, at 14. He rarely writes anything without a keyboard.
Vince

Teachers

Post by Vince »

GORDON wrote: If fewer schools are teaching cursive, what does that mean for the future of signatures? Are the kids just learning that little bit, for their name?

I know my kid's penmanship sucks, at 14. He rarely writes anything without a keyboard.
I noticed that a couple of years ago when my niece sent out thank you cards after high school graduation. It struck me that her hand writing looked like that of a 6th grader. Then it occurred to me that the thank you cards was probably the most she'd written by hand her entire high school career.
"... and then I was forced to walk the Trail of Tears." - Elizabeth Warren
TheCatt
Site Admin

Teachers

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: If fewer schools are teaching cursive, what does that mean for the future of signatures? Are the kids just learning that little bit, for their name?

My signature's already terrible.

Maybe we'll all just go back to X
Leisher
Site Admin

Teachers

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: My signature's already terrible.
Mine is as well. However, I think it has charm.

My dad's is a pristine thing of beauty that proves he would have made an excellent serial killer. He uses a straight edge every time. Each signature looks exactly the same. Psycho.
TheCatt wrote: Maybe we'll all just go back to X
I'm not convinced a lot of millennials can spell X. :D
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Teachers

Post by TheCatt »

Most things we sign these days are electronic, so I'm basically just clicking. For a mortgage refi, had to do real signatures though.
GORDON
Site Admin

Teachers

Post by GORDON »

For my kid's zoo volunteering, he recently had a 5 page application for the year-round program. All written short answer.

Damn.

It isn't like these kids are going to be able to go their whole lives and never have a pen in their hand, but at least everyone will have uniformly shitty handwriting.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Teachers

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: For my kid's zoo volunteering, he recently had a 5 page application for the year-round program. All written short answer.
Is this the stone ages? :)