Bicycles on the streets during rush hour

For stuff that is general.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

It's kind of fucked up how almost everyone does a mental fist-pump when they hear about a traffic-jam-causing bicyclist getting taken out.

It's why I hesitate to take my kid on a long road ride.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

People are trash. I almost only ride indoors now, but thats due to a medical condition.

I used to ride 2 to 3 thousand miles a year. Never had any issues, but man, people hate cyclists.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

GORDON wrote: It's kind of fucked up how almost everyone does a mental fist-pump when they hear about a traffic-jam-causing bicyclist getting taken out.
This sentence confuses me.

Why was the cyclist causing a traffic jam? Was he being a dick?
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Why was the cyclist causing a traffic jam?
Usually because cars don't know what to do when they see a cyclist around. Or rain.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

If the cyclist is where he/she should be, I don't see the issue.

I've seen dick cyclists before who think they are the most important person in the universe, but generally they stay to the side and I give them a wide berth for safety, but not a second thought.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

https://youtu.be/yDk8jyItrv8
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

There shouldn't be any confusion, i have a couple different bike riders on my commute that, while riding legally on narrow, busy city streets, have traffic backed up a good way. I can see why they get clipped and killed, accidentally or on purpose, by angry drivers.

I won't roll those particular dice and ride in most roads, because people are garbage.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: There shouldn't be any confusion, i have a couple different bike riders on my commute that, while riding legally on narrow, busy city streets, have traffic backed up a good way. I can see why they get clipped and killed, accidentally or on purpose, by angry drivers.

I won't roll those particular dice and ride in most roads, because people are garbage.
When I rode outside, I would avoid roads like that like the plague. Ride in the median if I could. Though, technically, that's not proper/legal.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

I hear you. They're riding legally, but the 3-feet-law doesn't allow anyone to actually pass.them.

And during rush hour.

So.
thibodeaux

Post by thibodeaux »

what about if there's a hurricane or a snowstorm?
Vince

Post by Vince »

I never really minded bikers that actually followed the rules of the road. It's the pricks I have to pass three times because they swerve over and cross the intersection ignoring the traffic signals that I want to clip them.
"... and then I was forced to walk the Trail of Tears." - Elizabeth Warren
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Vince wrote: I never really minded bikers that actually followed the rules of the road. It's the pricks I have to pass three times because they swerve over and cross the intersection ignoring the traffic signals that I want to clip them.
You wouldn't mind being at the end of a 100 yard traffic jam, doing 14 miles an hour in a 40, because a hippie and/or multiple-DUI-suspended-license guy is allowed to ride his bicycle on the busy road?
Vince

Post by Vince »

GORDON wrote: You wouldn't mind being at the end of a 100 yard traffic jam, doing 14 miles an hour in a 40, because a hippie and/or multiple-DUI-suspended-license guy is allowed to ride his bicycle on the busy road?
I would be annoyed, sure. But having to pass the same cyclist 3 times was what made me want to run him over.
"... and then I was forced to walk the Trail of Tears." - Elizabeth Warren
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Today the dude had on an orange construction vest and two straps of yellow reflecting tape.

I.admire his stubbornness, but he's still not going to win when he gets creamed.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Bikes are all over the place in Cambridge during traffic, but so is everything else, scooters, pedestrians, homeless, cars, etc. All on tiny streets where you can barely move. Takes 25 to 30 minutes to go 3 miles.