Couple of things

For stuff that is general.
Cakedaddy

Couple of things

Post by Cakedaddy »

Some stuff that's been on my mind:

What do you call African Americans that aren't Americans? I'm sure that's been asked before. Not an original thought by me. But still want to know. I'm told that calling someone "black" is unacceptable now.

Why is referring to someone as "Oriental" racists? Not all Asians look oriental. But someone from the orient generally does. Just because I don't know if you come from China or Japan, doesn't make me racist. It makes me, ummmmm, country of originly challenged? If someone in Asia called me Canadian, I wouldn't feel they were racist. They just didn't know what North American country I come from.

Was doing work at a McDonald's recently. Needed the manager to sign off on the work done. It asks them to put the date and time next to their signature:
Manager yelling out to co-workers: What time is it?
Co-worker: Ten till 3.
Manager: I don't know what that means.
Co-worker: two fifty.
Manager, as she writes the time on the sheet: He's talking to me like I'm old or something.

Kid in our neighborhood made a post on our neighborhood social media site:
I am willing to help anybody around the sub with any projects they may need completed in order for me to make extra money to go back to Michigan State in a few weeks.

I’ve also posted about cutting lawns a few times and have only got 2 people out of 150 + houses in our sub. It’d be appreciated if people would help out and understand that a kid is trying to finish his degree and I know some of you are paying $50+ for a professional company that speed cuts your yard in 10 minutes. I take my time and it looks better than a professional company.
In spite of his whiny, entitled millennial attitude, I contacted him two different ways about a small job I had for him. Never heard from him. SO bad wanted to call him out on the site, but didn't. He also didn't start posting about mowing lawns until the beginning of July. I guess we all should have canceled our contracts and gone with him, for the 5 weeks he was available. He would drive his riding mower through the neighborhood to his two jobs. Some people were calling him "Water Boy". We were calling him "Can't Buy Me Love" kid.

A healthy economy sucks balls. Employees are getting harder to find and expensive.

No matter what, if you fire someone, they will get unemployment. Had an employee that would swear on the job site in front of customers and their customers. Would do shitty work whenever I wasn't looking. Was a total dick to co-workers, and customer complained about him. I tried to salvage the situation by trying to correct the situation. He wouldn't change. So I fired him. The state awarded him unemployment because his firing wasn't due to any fault of his own. I appealed and said "It absolutely was his fault. THIS is what he was doing (going into detail about swearing, not working when I wasn't looking, etc), and in spite of my best efforts to get him to stop, he wouldn't. It went in front of a judge.

Judge: Why did he get fired.
Me: Because of all the stuff I said above.
Judge: Was he aware that these were fire able offenses?
Me: Yes. It's in the employee handbook.
Judge: Do you have proof that he had the handbook?
Me: Yes. Here's the "I received and read the handbook" document he signed.

Judge to Employee: Did you swear on the job?
Employee: Yes. But it was when I would drop a tool or something, so it was understandable. (He seriously said that)
Judge: Did you do the work incorrectly even after being told to stop and how to do it correctly?
Employee: Yes. But sometimes you just have to do it incorrectly.
Judge: Did you refuse customer requests and were you rude to them?
Employee: I did refuse customer requests, but only because they were requesting things that didn't make sense and I didn't feel I should have to do them. But I don't feel I was rude.
Judge to me: Do you have anything to add?
Me: Yes. It's never understandable to swear. You drop a tool, you pick it up. A curse word is not required.
Me: You NEVER do the work incorrectly. People die of you do it incorrectly. There's always a way to do it correctly. He was doing it incorrectly because it's easier.(That a summary, but also true. The rules are there to protect firemen in case of a fire, among others)
Me: I had customers complaining to me about his rudeness.
Judge: That inadmissible as hearsay.
Me in my head: Ummm. I heard they say this to me. Why is that hearsay? I'm under oath and saying this occurred. Whatever. . .
Judge: Ok. Thank you for your time, I'll get back to you.

1 week later. The state sends me another letter. "Ya. He's getting paid because he was fired due to no fault of his own."

Alice Telefilm has been on HBO On Demand for what seems like a few decades now. I would argue that anyone that wanted to watch that, has by now.
GORDON
Site Admin

Couple of things

Post by GORDON »

If he dies in an accident, he won't be collecting unemployment.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Cakedaddy

Couple of things

Post by Cakedaddy »

Well, full disclosure, I felt a little better when I found out it was only going to be about $24/week. :-) The first month was around $600, then it dropped down because of however unemployment works. His employer before me is on the hook for the other $575. But the point is still valid. I blame the Democrats. "Just another evil business trying to shaft the little guy" or something.
Leisher
Site Admin

Couple of things

Post by Leisher »

Cakedaddy wrote: What do you call African Americans that aren't Americans? I'm sure that's been asked before. Not an original thought by me. But still want to know. I'm told that calling someone "black" is unacceptable now.
That's bugged me as well. Why is black bad, but white is fine? Logically it seems one should make the other ok or not ok.
Cakedaddy wrote: Why is referring to someone as "Oriental" racists? Not all Asians look oriental. But someone from the orient generally does. Just because I don't know if you come from China or Japan, doesn't make me racist. It makes me, ummmmm, country of originly challenged? If someone in Asia called me Canadian, I wouldn't feel they were racist. They just didn't know what North American country I come from.
Isn't calling a U.S. citizen an American the same? Couldn't anyone from this hemisphere be considered American whether they're from North, Central, or South America? I get why Oriental is racist, but I find this to be similar to the black/white logic. Not sure how American only came to describe U.S. citizens and not everyone else.
Cakedaddy wrote: He's talking to me like I'm old or something.
Not old, just amazingly ignorant of time apparently. Want to see something insane? Try to ask a kid to read an analog clock. It amazes me how many have no clue how. Ditto for military time, which is so damn simple.
Cakedaddy wrote: In spite of his whiny, entitled millennial attitude, I contacted him two different ways about a small job I had for him. Never heard from him. SO bad wanted to call him out on the site, but didn't. He also didn't start posting about mowing lawns until the beginning of July. I guess we all should have canceled our contracts and gone with him, for the 5 weeks he was available. He would drive his riding mower through the neighborhood to his two jobs. Some people were calling him "Water Boy". We were calling him "Can't Buy Me Love" kid.
We had a kid post "Send me to camp" signs. I would have happily hired him to mow my lawn, but I've hired neighborhood kids to do that previously to help them out and they did a terrible job. The biggest issue was the pattern they used. They missed strips because they didn't follow a logical pattern and instead seemed to randomly drive around the lawn. Not sure if that was just kids being kids and not paying attention to detail or them being entitled and just expecting something for the effort. Pride in one's work is definitely something that our society lacks currently.
Cakedaddy wrote: A healthy economy sucks balls. Employees are getting harder to find and expensive.
Ha! Next time you're down we'll go to lunch and chat about some of the customer service folks my company has hired. The complete lack of skills for a high pay level is mind boggling. The biggest lie people seem to tell is about their computer skills. Some of the folks they've hired down there are really, really bad.

Speaking of that, we just ran another pen test via phone calls. Had a user fall for it hook, line, and sinker. Gave his ID and password to a random guy that called him (from DDI, my vendor) and said he was working with me. His embarrassment resulted in that sales division manager calling the company president to complain. The president had our back though, which was great. He stated the employee was at fault, not us for doing the tests that we had contracted, paid for, and warned people would be coming.
Cakedaddy wrote: 1 week later. The state sends me another letter. "Ya. He's getting paid because he was fired due to no fault of his own."
That judge should lose his robe. That's a bullshit ruling. Although, I'm sure he would have liked to have you present affidavits from your customers stating their complaints.

Our current unemployment system is too easily abused. I get protecting workers, but I also am very aware of people who skirt the rules. People who go on interviews and act terribly just so they won't get hired, but can claim they tried to find work. Ditto for people without degrees, experience, or training "holding out" for only a management position and the system allowing it. Or guys like one I worked with at the news station who would get hired every fall, work throughout the winter, and then get fired in the Spring every year. Why? Because he took summers off an unemployment would pay for it. I'm kinda, sorta ok with that to be honest, but I think he should be more transparent about it to employers and not then expect taxpayers to fund his summers.
Cakedaddy wrote: Alice Telefilm has been on HBO On Demand for what seems like a few decades now. I would argue that anyone that wanted to watch that, has by now.
What is Alice Telefilm?
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Leisher
Site Admin

Couple of things

Post by Leisher »

P.S. Where's that email? :D
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Couple of things

Post by TheCatt »

Cakedaddy wrote: Why is referring to someone as "Oriental" racists?
"Oriental's a rug, not a person." is what I was told. Probably because it's tied to English colonialism, and fails to distinguish between the cultures/countries of the East.
Cakedaddy wrote: Just because I don't know if you come from China or Japan, doesn't make me racist.
Then just say Asian. Honestly, I think people should look for intent, rather than just assuming Oriental is racist.
Cakedaddy wrote: A healthy economy sucks balls. Employees are getting harder to find and expensive.
Yeah
Cakedaddy wrote: 1 week later. The state sends me another letter. "Ya. He's getting paid because he was fired due to no fault of his own."
Apparently right to work states don't mean what I thought they meant. Well, I guess it means you could still fire him, but wow.
Leisher wrote: Try to ask a kid to read an analog clock.
They still teach it at our kids' school. Also, we have an analogue clock at the breakfast nook to the kids are exposed to it. I mean, I guess they barely exist any more, but if their lives are on the line to tell time...
Leisher wrote: but I've hired neighborhood kids to do that previously to help them out and they did a terrible job.
Yeah. I hired a neighborhood kid to mow our lawn, and he sucked. I hired another kid, and he killed my wife's favorite tree.
Leisher wrote: He stated the employee was at fault, not us for doing the tests that we had contracted, paid for, and warned people would be coming.
The company I work for has a pool of super rich investors, who have invested in a lot of other companies. They have required this type of testing for ALL companies they've invested in. One of the companies fell for a similar scam and lost $3.4 Million euros last week.
Leisher wrote: People who go on interviews and act terribly just so they won't get hired, but can claim they tried to find work.
The first time I had unemployment, I didn't "do terribly," but I did tried to make it last a while so I could take some trips, work out more, etc :) It was a nice break after 5 years of pretty intense working.
It's not me, it's someone else.
thibodeaux

Couple of things

Post by thibodeaux »

“Asian” is a dumb category, as it includes Arabs and dot Indians as well as ... the people that we mean when we say “Asian.” I guess technically “oriental” is even more vague as it just mean “eastern” (the wogs begin at Calais!) but I don’t like kowtowing (ha) to PC bullshit.

We really do need a word for this category of people: broadly, Chinese, Japanese, Korean, and maybe Thai/Vietnam/Laos/Cambodian. Tbh, it matches pretty well with “yellow” which if anything is even less PC. But it’s somehow ok to call us white (assuming you’re not Irish or Italian).
thibodeaux

Couple of things

Post by thibodeaux »

In before you say: why do we need a word? The same reason we need a word for people of African descent who aren’t citizens of North America. Because they’re an observably distinct category of people. And that’s what we do: we label those things. Because that’s how abstract thought works.
Leisher
Site Admin

Couple of things

Post by Leisher »

thibodeaux wrote: But it’s somehow ok to call us white (assuming you’re not Irish or Italian).
I'm Italian and people call me white.
Vince

Couple of things

Post by Vince »

Leisher wrote: I'm Italian and people call me white.
Ditto.

If you wanted to get scientific, you can call the oriental Asians mongoloids. They'll bitch about that as well, but its an anthropological classification. Plus they'll bitch about anything.
"... and then I was forced to walk the Trail of Tears." - Elizabeth Warren