Love/Hate

For stuff that is general.
GORDON
Site Admin

Love/Hate

Post by GORDON »

I don't know if this is interesting enough for a thread, but wtf. I'll try.

After a million years, I finally got cell phone mounts for my cars. I travel a lot and it's super helpful to have the GPS map up there in front of me, instead of me having to hold it.

So I love it.

But I hate that now I'm frequently leaving my car with the phone still in the mount. Goddammit.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
TheCatt
Site Admin

Love/Hate

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: But I hate that now I'm frequently leaving my car with the phone still in the mount. Goddammit.
Yeah. The best answer for this is one of those head units that does wireless Android Auto/Apple Carplay(?). Then you can have the nav, music, apps, etc, but it stays in your pocket. I put an after market unit in my car that does this. Sadly, our new minivan we drive the most requires a plug-in, so I constantly forget my phone.
It's not me, it's someone else.
GORDON
Site Admin

Love/Hate

Post by GORDON »

That's very interesting, I always wondered why cars were trying to have a separate on-board computer system when all they had to do was use the computer everyone already has in their pocket, and bluetooth over to it. Didn't know anyone had figured that out, yet.

But my head unit doesn't have that, so moot, for me. Someday when I'm rich I'll put a new $1K head unit with bigger screen in my $10k used electric car, ha.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
TheCatt
Site Admin

Love/Hate

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: That's very interesting, I always wondered why cars were trying to have a separate on-board computer system when all they had to do was use the computer everyone already has in their pocket, and bluetooth over to it. Didn't know anyone had figured that out, yet.
Car mfrs didn't want to give control over the system to external parties (Google + Apple). But, their systems are so bad, that most of them have relented by now. Toyota was the last major manufacturer to hold out. Of course, Tesla uses their own terrible system (May have gotten better since the last time I used it).

I bought this guy, 1.5 years ago. Only $399 now. Was $650 when I bought it. Plus some $ for installation equipment
It's not me, it's someone else.