Cruises

For stuff that is general.
GORDON
Site Admin

Cruises

Post by GORDON »

If you're with kid(s) and can't just fuck nonstop, 5 days is a.long cruise.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Vince

Cruises

Post by Vince »

The idea was never appealing to me for whatever reason. There's a part of me that always wants a back door out. Not really possible with a cruise.
"... and then I was forced to walk the Trail of Tears." - Elizabeth Warren
thibodeaux

Cruises

Post by thibodeaux »

Going on a cruise in a few weeks w the wife and kids. The wife gets seasick and hates the ocean. The kids just want to pig out all day long. On top of that, driving 9+ hours each way to Canaveral.

Should be a hoot.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Cruises

Post by TheCatt »

thibodeaux wrote: Going on a cruise in a few weeks w the wife and kids. The wife gets seasick and hates the ocean. The kids just want to pig out all day long. On top of that, driving 9+ hours each way to Canaveral.

Should be a hoot.
What meds will she be taking?
It's not me, it's someone else.
thibodeaux

Cruises

Post by thibodeaux »

I think she's got some scopolamine which usually does the trick.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Cruises

Post by TheCatt »

thibodeaux wrote: I think she's got some scopolamine which usually does the trick.
Just like the astronauts. That's what my wife used when we were on a cruise and it worked well. She tried all the stupid things first, like bands and OTC ear patches, etc.
Troy

Cruises

Post by Troy »

Mixed thoughts on cruises. Last time we went on one was on a college spring break. We started doing house for rent by owner type situations on the Caribbean islands and it was a little less... corporate?

Ships are good safe times for a family though. Everyone gets something out of the trip. I drank my first legal beer and played my first hand of legal poker on a Royal Caribbean ship with my family after HS graduation. Particularly fun trip for a 18 year old.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Cruises

Post by TheCatt »

I've been on two, and thought they were both fun. Nice to sleep somewhere and wake up somewhere different. On the other hand, the excursions aren't fabulous or as in-depth as staying somewhere for a while.
GORDON
Site Admin

Cruises

Post by GORDON »

The kid and I get seasick on smaller dive boats that rock in heavy seas. We have Scopalamine patches for that, fixes us right up.

Neither he nor I felt sick on the cruise ship, though we did see a lot of peeps with the patches. We were both thinking, "Pussies."
Leisher
Site Admin

Cruises

Post by Leisher »

Went on a cruise for our honeymoon. It was pretty awesome.

As for boats/ships, I've never had an issue with seasickness. Row boats, pontoon boats, speed boats, fishing charters, jet skis, cruise ship, etc.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Cruises

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: As for boats/ships, I've never had an issue with seasickness. Row boats, pontoon boats, speed boats, fishing charters, jet skis, cruise ship, etc.
I've only had an issue twice. Once was on our honeymoon, 4 ft of chop, scuba diving. Was taking my gear off to board the boat, and suddenly the world started spinning. Got into the boat, locked in, unstrapped, puked over the side. Was fine once that happened.

The second was a ferry in Lake Michigan. Again, 4-5 foot waves, super bouncy. I was fine until I tried to go into the bathroom. Being in the enclosed spot felt horrible. Didn't puke, made it outside to the air, was fine. Then my kid puked all over me.
GORDON
Site Admin

Cruises

Post by GORDON »

He and I were pissed the Caribbean waters were so.calm and clear every day, when every single dive charter we've been on has been rough and choppy as.hell.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Cruises

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: He and I were pissed the Caribbean waters were so.calm and clear every day, when every single dive charter we've been on has been rough and choppy as.hell.
The only reason we had chop on our honeymoon was there was a hurricane a 100? 200? miles offshore, so it was unusually bumpy.

St John was wonderful in that regard last year cuz it meant we could basically let the kids run wild in the water, and not have to watch them as closely.
GORDON
Site Admin

Cruises

Post by GORDON »

We've just been unlucky with charters. Lakes, oceans, gulfs, all windy and choppy when we went out.
Leisher
Site Admin

Cruises

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: The only reason we had chop on our honeymoon was there was a hurricane a 100? 200? miles offshore, so it was unusually bumpy.
Ditto.

We were in the jacuzzi and it was like sitting in the surf due to the waves and motion of the boat. They asked us to get out and head inside for our safety.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

Cruises

Post by GORDON »

I've driven up and down I-75 about a bajillion times now, and I just realized something. I never see huge, mysterious traffic jams north of Cincinnati. They're all Cinci itself, or Atlanta, or a couple big cities in KY and TN. I've never personally seen non-construction-related congestion into Ohio (not counting Cinci, where half the plates say Kentucky).

I think this means southerners can't drive for shit.

And I still say that peeps who cause traffic jams due to negligence should have to pay all the people they inconvenienced. I sat in a 45 minute jam in KY, yesterday, that google maps said was due to a car collision. SOMEONE was at fault. That someone should have to pay me, and the other 10k cars in the parking lot, compensation for our time.

Also still praying for self-driving semi trucks that will put all truck drivers out of work.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Cruises

Post by TheCatt »

Everytime we hit a traffic jam, my kids ask if we are in Ohio, cu the worst traffic jam of their lives was in Ohio. Because Ohio roads suck.
Troy

Cruises

Post by Troy »

TheCatt wrote: Everytime we hit a traffic jam, my kids ask if we are in Ohio, cu the worst traffic jam of their lives was in Ohio. Because Ohio roads suck.
Sweet summer child. Though I've heard Ohio is pretty bad, I just have a hard time believing it's close to LA. Atlanta was horrible too.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Cruises

Post by TheCatt »

Well, Atlanta is a special kind of hell when it comes to traffic.
GORDON
Site Admin

Cruises

Post by GORDON »

Both LA and ATL are in the southern parts of the nation.