20%
Other
40%

Total votes: 5

TheCatt
Site Admin

What would you do? Wwyd

Post by TheCatt »

Pretend you are a server at a restaurant and an obviously pregnant woman asks for an alcoholic drink? She mentions to others that she is pregnant, visibly pregnant, etc.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

What would you do? Wwyd

Post by Leisher »

I would not give her alcohol.

She can make bad choices for herself, but I'm not going to enable her bad choices for her unborn kid.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Vince

What would you do? Wwyd

Post by Vince »

Yeah, I think I'd end up fired. I wouldn't feel right lying to her and making virgin drinks. Plus, that doesn't address what she's doing to the unborn child. That would only help for that evening. I'd have to tell her I can't serve her alcohol. The boss would have to do what what he needed to do with me.
"... and then I was forced to walk the Trail of Tears." - Elizabeth Warren
TheCatt
Site Admin

What would you do? Wwyd

Post by TheCatt »

I was prompted to post this because of this reddit post, where a) the server in question was called the asshole, and b) the manager of the restaurant screamed at the server, and took the server off the calendar.

I'm not sure what I would have done, but I surely would not have kept giving her more alcoholic drinks. I either would have spoken to her, or the manager. If she didn't like my answer, I would have still stopped serving her.
Leisher
Site Admin

What would you do? Wwyd

Post by Leisher »

I don't think it's a stretch to suggest that in 2019 that bartender could see themselves in court being linked to whatever issues that baby comes out with.

"Sir, you keep serving the mother alcohol even though you knew she was pregnant?"
"Yes, but my boss told..."
"So even though you knew it was bad for the baby, you continued to feed this woman drinks with no regard for her or her baby's health?"
"That's not what..."
"Clearly you have admitted your contribution to the serious conditions this child will face for the rest of its life."
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

What would you do? Wwyd

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: don't think it's a stretch to suggest that in 2019 that bartender could see themselves in court being linked to whatever issues that baby comes out with.
Right?! When I was reading this, all I could think was "are there laws against this? Feels like there are laws against this?"

And civil liability... I mean, no way I'm giving that woman a drink.
Vince

What would you do? Wwyd

Post by Vince »

For me, screw civil liability (though I can see that happening as well). I wouldn't feel right being part of her doing that to the child.
TheCatt
Site Admin

What would you do? Wwyd

Post by TheCatt »

There are no legal restrictions in the US according to a quick Google search.
TheCatt
Site Admin

What would you do? Wwyd

Post by TheCatt »

NJ and NY have laws where discrimination against the pregnant woman is illegal. Awesome.

Many states have laws that could be interpreted to consider it a crime (for the mother) but it doesn't appear to be explicit
GORDON
Site Admin

What would you do? Wwyd

Post by GORDON »

I'm not the alcohol police, and I'm not her father.

And, abortion is legal. I'd serve her. Let the rest.of the mob.shame her.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Vince

What would you do? Wwyd

Post by Vince »

GORDON wrote:And, abortion is legal. I'd serve her. Let the rest.of the mob.shame her.
That's one of those areas where I talk about logic and the abortion arguments colliding. Your position is consistent. I'll treat it as a human life in or out of the womb and be consistent.
GORDON
Site Admin

What would you do? Wwyd

Post by GORDON »

We have enough humans on earth. Let her carry that one to term, and stillborn it. Joke's all on her.
TheCatt
Site Admin

What would you do? Wwyd

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: We have enough humans on earth. Let her carry that one to term, and stillborn it. Joke's all on her.
More than likely the baby will survive and just have some minor brain development issues or FAS at worst.

If she plans to keep it, she should take care of it.
GORDON
Site Admin

What would you do? Wwyd

Post by GORDON »

then it ends up taking over the turtle rescue excursion