Ben Shapiro

For stuff that is general.
Leisher
Site Admin

Ben Shapiro

Post by Leisher »

Somehow a Shapiro talking to college kids video showed up in my YouTube feed, and I watched it during lunch.

I know folks on the left paint him as a hate monger, sexist, bigot, yada yada yada, but I'm starting to suspect that's all propaganda. The guy seems ridiculously well informed and very encouraging of debate with substance/facts over emotion.

So what am I missing? Why am I supposed to hate him? Why is it bad that he thinks people should be willing to discuss topics and make choices based upon science, facts, and evidence?

This isn't me being snarky. I am legit asking as I really haven't been exposed to him much and I'm wondering why he's a "bad word". Is he a complete jackass or is this simply the left labeling someone on the right as a negative to discredit him?
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

Ben Shapiro

Post by GORDON »

I always assume everyone is lying, when they tell me who I'm supposed to hate. I don't think I'm ever wrong.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
TheCatt
Site Admin

Ben Shapiro

Post by TheCatt »

Here's a part of what he thinks
According to Slate, Shapiro has described homosexual activity as a sin.[57] He has said that "a man and a woman do a better job of raising a child than two men or two women".[58] He has stated he doesn't feel same-sex marriage should be taught to students in schools, saying, "In California they've already passed laws that you have to teach same-sex marriage in public schools, for example... I went to public school for elementary school and junior high, I don't know why the government is teaching me anything about this stuff. This is for my parents to teach me. This is a values thing". He also states, "I'm very much anti gay-marriage in the social sense. As a religious person I think homosexuality is a sin, I think that lots of things are sins that people engage in, I think they should be free to engage in them."[44] In 2014, the Southern Poverty Law Center contested Shapiro's claim that the United States "is not a country that discriminates against homosexuals" and that "there is a vastly minute amount of discrimination against gays in this country," by refuting his analysis of hate crime statistics.[74]

Shapiro believes transgender people suffer from mental illness, calling it gender dysphoria. (The American Psychological Association does not define being transgender as a mental illness, as "gender dysphoria" is only diagnosed if an individual suffers significant distress as a result of their gender identity.)[48][75] Shapiro has commented, "You can't magically change your gender. You can't magically change your sex," equating this to changing one's age.[8]
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

Ben Shapiro

Post by Leisher »

Neither of those things particularly sway me to think he's a monster.

He says as a religious person he thinks homo-sexuality is a sin, but isn't trying to stop people from engaging in it. Why can't he think that? I do disagree with his anti-gay marriage stance though. Forum dweller Vince has the same beliefs on gay folks as Shapiro (right?) and I don't consider him evil or a monster.

As for the trans thing, again I'm not agreeing with him, but I saw in the video he also said of trans people that they're free to believe what they want, but trying to force him to also believe it is where his line is drawn. Not sure I disagree with him there. As long as rights aren't being violated either way, people can be polite to one another and believe different things. Forcing anyone to your belief system is wrong...unless there's science to backup your stance.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

Ben Shapiro

Post by GORDON »

A "belief" system can't be based on science.
Leisher
Site Admin

Ben Shapiro

Post by Leisher »

GORDON wrote: A "belief" system can't be based on science.
Yep, that's what I was going for with that last sentence.

Facts/Science > Emotions
TheCatt
Site Admin

Ben Shapiro

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON
Site Admin

Ben Shapiro

Post by GORDON »

TheCatt wrote: Ben Shapiro.
I'n not disabling my ad blocker
TheCatt
Site Admin

Ben Shapiro

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote:
I'n not disabling my ad blocker
Weird, I didn't have to.
Leisher
Site Admin

Ben Shapiro

Post by Leisher »

Honestly, I'm with Shapiro there. I'm fucking way, way over digging through people's social media posts from years ago and then presenting them without context. That's not journalism. That's ambushing someone to grab a headline. There isn't a person on the planet that we couldn't ambush and portray however we want if we had access to all their thoughts throughout life. (A reason social media and the current trend of digging up people's past is eventually going to bite EVERYONE in the ass.) It's the same shit with the singer whose music was removed from NY and Philly because of a song she once did. It's the same as John Wayne being labeled a racist because of an interview he did in 19-whatever (40s?) where he said "negros".

The only part I disagree with is where he blasts all Arabs. Any blanket generalization like that is always bigoted BS. But really, I should be shocked by a Jewish guy who doesn't like Arabs? Next thing you'll tell me is Arabs don't like Jews.

His thoughts on Palestine aren't exactly way off base. Had we elected David Duke as president, knowing his past as a KKK leader, wouldn't that say more about the voters?

You should have posted the town hall type meeting he did next to a transgender person (who ended up threatening Shapiro with physical violence) and how rude Shapiro was to that person. That was one of the moments I saw where I didn't agree with him AT ALL. Have your views, but you don't have to be a dick about it and intentionally keep calling this person "Sir" when they clearly asked to be called "Ma'am". You don't even have to call them "ma'am", just use their fucking name!

Shapiro isn't my favorite person in the world. I don't agree with him on some things and agree with him on other things. I'm also willing to give him the benefit of the doubt because, of what I've seen, he's continuously admitted his own shortcomings and explained where his beliefs originate. That's not awesome, but it's something.

I guess my overall point is "I'm not going to discredit everything he says because the left tells me to or because he's a Jews guy who doesn't like Arabs." Realistically, how is he different from Bill Maher? (Besides being married and not dating women half his age?) Maher also makes intelligent arguments, gets emotional at times, has skeletons, and has displayed bigotry towards certain groups.

Ok, now bash Jordan Peterson... :D
thibodeaux

Ben Shapiro

Post by thibodeaux »

His voice is gay
TheCatt
Site Admin

Ben Shapiro

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Ok, now bash Jordan Peterson...
I've heard that name before, but barely know who he is, or Ben for that matter. That article on BS (hah) just came up in my feed, so I linked it here. Seems he was trying to promote a book about civility, so the host brought up his incivility, seemed fair to me.

At this point, I've just realized I don't care what most people think.
Leisher
Site Admin

Ben Shapiro

Post by Leisher »

thibodeaux wrote: His voice is gay
That is accurate based upon the single clip I've seen.
TheCatt wrote: At this point, I've just realized I don't care what most people think.
Yep.

The problem is so many don't feel the same way and immediately hear a name and have been programmed to shut down anything coming from that source. you don't need to agree with every thing a person says to agree with a single thing they say.
thibodeaux

Ben Shapiro

Post by thibodeaux »